Eto’o joins Al Ittihad

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Mussab86, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Eto’o joins Al Ittihad
    www.the-afc.com 14 April 2006

[​IMG]

JEDDAH: Barcelona’s Cameroonian striker Samuel Eto'o has joined AFC Champions League champions Al Ittihad in a loan move.

Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, Eto’o said: “I don’t play for the money alone. Happiness is my priority that's why I chose to play with Ittihad in the AFC Champions League."

Details of his contract have not been revealed.

Al Ittihad has also signed a contract with the player to open an ‘Ittihad and Eto'o Soccer Academy’ in Cameroon. “The Saudi club will benefit from the players that graduate from the academy,” said Al Ittihad President Mansoor Al-Balawi.

source

2. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    it's all about money :rolleyes:

3. argylemonster

argylemonster Member

Mar 5, 2005
    surely a sick joke? its not on any other news site. :?

4. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    As has been pointed out on another thread, Al Ittihad are giving Barcelona a huge pt of money for a ten day loan for the World Club Championship.

5. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Ittihad :rolleyes: .....

They'll never be considered a club like Al Hilal or even Al Naser because they BUY their trophies.

Asia's Chelsea :mad:

6. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    "...not for money", yeah right.

What Al Ittihad did really sickens me. Even if they won the ACL nobody will say they won it deservedly.

7. OMfreak

OMfreak New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Dakar

Not funny, bad bad joke.

8. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Yeah it is a big joke...Might as well just pay for the cup and skip the games. How can a club even be taken seriously when doing moves like this? :rolleyes:

9. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    That's the point, they don't care if they aren't taken seriously..they just want to win trophies.

10. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wait so how long is the loan deal and when is it starting? And will he be eligible to play in the Saudi league too?

This really makes me wonder if Henry will land in Barcelona this summer. With Larsson leaving, who's gonna replace Eto'o? Or is this a part-time deal where Eto'o will be eligible to play in both clubs? Is that even possible? If that's what it is, shouldn't FIFA do something to stop this sick joke?

11. OMfreak

OMfreak New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Dakar

i cant understand WHY there are people believing in this shit. Etoo'o in Saudi league, thats a ridiculous idea. at least for now.

12. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    that's exactly what these pictures imply!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    believe it or not, it is true and happening!

according to Eto'o he says that he's "fed up with the racist remarks" he gets in Spain.

Okaz newspaper says that "Ronaldinho might be visiting Ittihad on the 27th of this month."

and adds "Eto'o left Saudi Arabia with $100,000.00 worth of jewels!"

sources:

Okaz newspaper (KSA)
    Al-Riyadhi magazine (KSA)

14. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Oh by the way they won it deservedly ... Twice ;)

15. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    .... so? :confused:

16. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    When a player is loaned it means that he is essentially "traded" to a particular team for a certain period of time. However, since he is loaned and not just flat out sold, he will return back to the club who loaned him when his contract with the new club expires.

In this case, Barcelona loaned Eto'o to Al Ittihad... he is now an Al Ittihad player for (however long the contract is for) but at the end of his contract, instead of becoming a free agent or being sold by Al Ittihad, he is simply returned to Barcelona.

17. Bruzza

Bruzza New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Your backyard
    Didnt he like.. play a game last night in Spain... and score?
    As if Barca would give him away now... not before they have succesfully and undoubtedly won the title. This thing has to be a joke.

18. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i thought ittihand didnt enter the AFC until later this year, after the group stages?

19. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

if Al Ittihad was more well known in the world, theyd BE Chelsea. the only reason i found out about Al Ittihad was from my friend in Chicago. i personally love Jeddah United and its amazing how they obtained such a worldclass footballer, even if its a loan. you dont see Ronaldo getting loaned to Urawa Reds or Wayne Rooney to Suwon Bluewings.

despite what people think, i think Eto'o geniunely wants to help Jeddah United win the ACL. if he was going for the money, he wouldve asked for a permanent contract in Jeddah instead of getting loaned there

20. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The terms of the contract don't start until late this summer, sometime around August or September.

So he's still at Barcelona until after the World Cup, and he'll be coming back to Barcelona sometime around December 06 or January 07 (from what I have heard).

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is correct, defending champions Al-Ittihad Jeddah get a bye to the quarterfinals.

(not to be confused with Syria's Al-Ittihad Aleppo currently in the group stage)

22. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    I dont blame anyone for trying to come to the Gulf. You come and leave with gold and diamonds and cars lol. Anyone remember what happend with Rivaldo in Qatar? He went there and saying he was gonna play there 2 seasons ago, he got all these expensive gifts and then never signed a contract loool...

23. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    But Batistuta signed ;)
    any way, Saudi Arabia not like Qatar

24. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    lool, look at all the furious indignation voiced by the posters in this thread :D

And what for? For signing a player on loan. You'd think we commited the crime of the century! Sure, in the case of Ittihad, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but in the world of football strengthening your team by signing players from outside is a normal thing in football. Something that virtually every single club that can afford to does indulge in. What's to be pissed off about?

And besides, Ittihad have more than proven themselves both domestically and continentally. We've won more titles in the last decade than any other Saudi club, and we're the holder of the champions league for two years running.

Ittihad are trying to consolidate their position at the top. The onus is on the competition to respond. You guys should focus on your own team.

25. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    HiJazzey I have nothing against Al-Ittihad and you know it :)