Essien wants to go to Chelsea.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by mhtwins113, Jun 27, 2005.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You'd have to have one or the other. I don't believe both can co-exist on the pitch.

2. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If you say so. If something happens, more power to you, I suppose.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Oh? That's quite an assumption. Especially considering that would be the most intelligent midfield triumverate in the league.

Why are you comparing such different players as if they are peas in a pod?

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    It's not a matter of if I say so, it's a fact that this is how the club usually operates.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Whatever that means. Not to mention the fact that intelligent people and players will not always get along.

Because you can only have so many players on the pitch at once. I'm not even certain how well Ballack would have fit into our 4-3-3. But into your 4-4-2? One of Scholes or Keane would have to go. And in a 4-3-3 you'd have a lot of pieces out of place.

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Given that the club has recently been bought, I'm not sure that assumption is valid. Beyond which, its not true. Veron and RvN, your biggest buys in years, save for Rooney, were hardly last minute August deals, as I recall.

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much that as that Ballack, Keane, and Scholes might not play together effectively (as you said before).

But when the time comes to replace Roy Keane, one of the greatest midfielders in the history of the English league, how is it done? Do we dive in headfirst with a replacement after he goes, or do we slowly wade in, allowing his successor to learn the game from him?

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Ballack is 29, as I recall. The team that buys him buys him to play now, as much as possible. Besides which, he's never been as good defensively as Keane was.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there's no reason he couldn't play as much as possible right now. Ballack came up as a defensive mid too.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, but he's not that good playing there for a big team. As he demonstrated at Bayern. You'd be buying a replacement for Scholes, who I don't think would get along with Keane too well, not a replacement for Keane.
    Just my take on it, of course, there's no doubt he's a fabulous player.

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    That's true enough. More often then not they will though otherwise great sides would never be formed.

We won't be playing a 4-4-2 next season if we are going with a Keane-Scholes starting unit. It is not beyond reason to think that 1 of two things could happen.

A) Scholes's role is taken over by Ballack.

B) They pair up perfectly welland all this is a none issue.

Ballack is lazily brilliant. If he bothers himself, he is perfectly functional in a 4-3-3. It would actually be a 4-5-1 using the flanks extensively. Ronaldo's movement would free up a lot of space on the inside for Ballack to function imo.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm not going to invest any more time in debating the merits of a highly hypothetical move, just suffice it to say that its a possibility given our lack of creativity from the middle of the field last season, as well as Gayslur's possible moves to temporarily appease the critics.

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Ruud was out for a year. It was common knowledge we were going in for him the next Summer so that doesn't count. Besides which, I never said last minute. It is not even 3weeks in to July.. August is a long way off in the transfer world.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Indeed.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least, no one is selling to you, you mean. :cool:

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Nice try - you're not going to provoke me. No one's bought big this year.

17. RedFriday

RedFriday New Member

Jul 1, 2005