Essential Soccer Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jose L. Couso, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can order it through Amazon.co.uk and have it mailed to the States. I don't know of any other way.

2. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    Calcio is available on www.amazon.co.uk. The books are kind of expensive but the service is excellent. There are many outstanding football/soccer books available at www.amazon.co.uk that aren't in print in the U.S.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  4. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really enjoyed it. I got it through www.alibris.com a few years ago.

6. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    I would recommend this book:

[​IMG]

This history of the NY Cosmos is just outstanding - I can't put it down. I found it at my local Barnes & Noble in Lincoln, Nebraska, of all places.

HartwickFan repped this.
  7. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Good stuff!

8. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    You might want to check this one out:

[​IMG]

I just started reading "Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game" by David Wangerin. The book is a history of soccer in the U.S. I've read the first chapter and I can tell you it is very interesting. The author is a guy who grew up in the U.S. but he moved to the U.K. about twenty years ago.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  9. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I would purchase that book but it is not available her in the US. Purchasing through the book through Amazon.UK, the shipping would cost as much as the book!

I guess I'll wait until I find a copy on this side of the pond (or when I visit the other side of the pond). Thanks for posting the book as I would not have been aware of it otherwise.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now a documentary film that opened on Friday.

As much as I despise the Cosmos for casting such a long shaodw on New York football, it was still excellently done and quite hilarious - the skewering of Chinaglia by everyone involved is priceless.

11. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For those interested on South American Futbol

[​IMG]

About this title: Mason opens with soccer's rise at the turn of the century amidst the exploding urbanization of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. He demonstrates that, from its beginnings, the game had wide popular appeal and examines the role of British commercial and military interests as well as that of newcomers from Italy, Spain and Portugal.

http://www.alibris.com/

12. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also wanted to post this reference giude. It has selections from Africa and books that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise. I have no idea how hard it may to get some of these books, but some seem pretty interesting as they have an anthropological aspect to the game ...

http://www.arts.uwa.edu.au/MotsPluriels/MP698cl.html

A lot of these are articles, but would seem interesting to read.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

try www.thebookdepository.co.uk they do free shipping to the states.

14. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    If that is the case, then I would strongly recommend that you purchase Soccer in a Football World by David Wangerin. The book is a revelation and a delight. For example, you will be amazed to learn about the American Soccer League, which was in existence between 1921-1933. This league was considered one of the best in the world at the time and it produced the very good 1930 U.S. National Team which finished fourth in the inaugural World Cup. Unfortunately, this promising league was a casualty of internal squabbling in U.S. soccer and the Depression. If this league had survived, the U.S. might be one of the world's major soccer powers today.

15. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
  16. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendation!

A factual correction : USA finished 3rd in the inagural 1930 World Cup. :)

ps-Rep coming your way 1st chance I get!

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they didn't play a 3rd place game in 1930 and that the USA and Yugoslavia are historically recorded as "semi-finalists."

18. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
  19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  20. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    The USA finished with a better goal differential! :)

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  22. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I ordered the book and I am enjoying the book! (Thanks to both you and Placid Casual)

I just came up to this interesting tidbit on page 95 and I quote - "The US had to be content with third place in the tournament, on the basis of their superior goal difference to the other beaten semi-finalists, Yugoslavia." ;)

Even though I was aware of the US soccer history (thanks in large part to books by Colin Jose and Roger Allaway on the ASL and the US National team statistical history) I would highly recommend the book to all US soccer fans.

I may even get Rangers, Rovers and Spindles by Roger Allaway!

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I can't believe this hasn't been listed yet.

A bit late, I'll admit, but I picked it up a few weeks into the Cup. And I'm still diving into it.

It's basically a compendium of essay's on each country that was in Germany'06. Some by natives, some by journalists who've covered that country, some just by folks who support Milan and find themselves in a Ukranian bar in New York talking about Sheva.

Most essays are pretty good. Eggers writes on the US, which is decent, Hornby writes on Engerland. Those are the two most prominent writers. I don't know if I was prejudiced by the Cup, but I hated the essay on Portugal.

Heh -- just found this chart in a reader's review on Amazon. I think it's fairly on point:
    >>>>>>>>>

Good essays that teach a LOT about soccer in a country .... 25.5
    Examples: France, Brazil, Germany, Costa Rica
    Meandering, non-soccer essays, still interesting for good writing ... 5
    Example: Portugal
    Cheap shots at the United States: 3 *
    Example: Iran, United States
    Meandering, non-soccer essays ... 1.5
    Example: Czech Republic, Ecuador (.5)
    Hilarious, read-it-aloud to your friends ... 1
    Example: Australia and the Soccceroos!

Final score: This book is flawed, but a winner.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    When I'm in charge of the world, I will burn every Dave Eggers book.

Sachin

25. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Anybody else read 'The Football Lexicon'? I thought it was absolutely hilarious.