ESPN's World Cup performance

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tambo, Jun 8, 2014.

1. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I know we've got other World Cup threads with ratings info and broadcast schedules, but hopefully the mods will see this as a distinct spot for discussing ESPN's actual execution during the tournament.

I'll start: The main set in Rio was debuted during last night's US-Nigeria warm-up match. Looks pretty sharp, and more than anything, I loved the new design/font style they're using for on-screen graphics. Clean and classy.

(Weird you can hear the waves on the beach during segments. I could see that "whooosh" getting a little distracting for some folks. I thought my speakers were screwing up at first.)

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If they bring Ballack back, it's an automatic D.

3. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get an F- for their ESPNFC last night. 90 minute show. Not one second about 3 out of the 4 games (CIV-JAP, CRC-URU & COL-GRE) that day. Garbage!

4. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    I think ESPN need to bring in a voice with more presence and personality into their World Cup tonight broadcast. Why not import someone like Craig Burley from ESPNFC? He would add much needed wit and humor. Steve Nichol would liven things up as well.

5. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Martinez has been excellent on ESPN

tambo repped this.
  6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burley is in Rio and has been filing reports.

7. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    They've been great so far, everything they control has been handled really well. Tirico and Ley add some gravity to the presentation given their resumes and Hipgrave has been a really good addition too. I'd give them an A so far.

Martinez is fantastic.

Not looking forward to the loudmouth channel next time.

TJNash repped this.
  8. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lalas is terrible. Like to see him removed and get replaced with someone with more humor and life. He is dry and not always fair giving out praise to those who deserve to get it.

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That shows you how atrocious Lalas is, when a dour Scotsman would liven up the proceedings.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall very good, but there have been some low points.

For example:

It's not "relenting pressure", Kasey.

Someone please tell Rae and Mann that Ibisevic and Najar could NOT play for the US...

11. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I dont see why Burley isnt in the booth doing commentary. Thats where hes at his best and if he was good enough for BBC at the last WC then why not for ESPN at this WC.

12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Why not? Thy chose other countries. If they had chosen the US, they would both probably be starters.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are not US citizens, and could not have become ones absent an Act of Congress(ain't happening) prior to this Cup.

14. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Overall pretty good. I've always disliked Tirico, but he's fine at what he does. Roberto Martinez is terrific, best of the lot by far. It was also really good to get him as the color guy for the Argentina match last night.

15. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    I think Tirico has actually been quite good. He's clearly becoming much more knowledgeable about the sport. I miss Chris Fowler and would be interested to see if ESPN does any cross pollination with their Wimbledon broadcasts since Fowler is there in that football mad nation and tennis broadcasters such as John McEnroe have a knowledge of soccer.

Craig Burley was on World Cup tonight last night and was a great breath of fresh air. I hope ESPN realize the potential to exploit what they have and get that show talked about in other media and create a buzz for it. Input from some of the ESPNFC guys (including behind the scenes info from journalists like Gab Marcotti) could give the show that cutting edge it needs.

16. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    They could have become the citizens if they had wanted to. They both grew up in this country and were eligible for it. If they ever showed desire to play for the US, they would have been citizens and in the team. Nothing wrong with Rae mentioning that two of them could have played for the US.

17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A lot of big cities missing the boat not having these FanFests! Check out the crowd at a little town like Bethlehem!

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many of the people in the market are close to Bethlehem, but the Allentown-Bethlehem radio market is the 70th biggest in the country. I wouldn't call it a "little town."

20. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not in the top 100 media markets. Comparatively speaking, it is a small town:

http://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

Ruud11 repped this.
  21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good job in my eyes. Tirico is solid he is engaged and has certainly broadened his knowledge. Bob Ley is excellent as well. Roberto Martinez is quality. I also enjoy Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
    Lalas is not the greatest but better then Fox guy Wynalda.
    Gilberto Silva is rough with accent.
    Commentary of matches is excellent.
    Hope and pray the Fox guys get their acts together and realize they need to have quality soccer people in 4 years.
    That should not be much to ask is it?

HomietheClown repped this.
  22. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Overall they are doing fabulous, Fox will not top espn in four years.

That said, I do miss Martin Tyler.

There's got to be more behind his absence than a presumed 'loss of face' if Ian Darke calls the final.
    There was plenty of room for both of them in 2010. Any info or speculations???

23. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll speculate that maybe the ESPN execs perceived (rightly or wrongly) that Tyler does not 'connect' with US viewers the way Darke does

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My source is of MEDIA MARKETS, which is a different measurement than used in determining RADIO markets. For example, San Diego is the #17 radio market, but #28 for media (TV). Nobody besides radio sales people rely on radio market rankings for anything. That being said, even # 70 is still small time.