ESPN's Hispanic Heritage Month Series - soccer?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by MiamiAce, Oct 13, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    I caught a bit of this morning's ESPN SportsCenter in hopes of catching some U.S. National Team on highlights (non-Top 10 Plays please). Well anyways, I caught them doing a special about Tony Gonzalez (Kansas City Chiefs) who was going through a 1-month boot-camp style course to learn Spanish during the NFL preseason. He had even had to live with a Mexican family in Mexico City; It basically talked about his preparation for NFL camps that were to be held in Mexico as he would be a spokesperson for them, plus the NFL TV ad in Spanish and the regular season game that was held in Mexico City.

Anyways, it really was a great piece, and it went into a discussion about Latin culture impacting the U.S. and NFL, well when the segment was over, they said the piece was the 2nd part of a 3-part series on the recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month at ESPN. The next and 3rd part would be about "Manu Ginobigli and his impact for Latins with global basketball." Something along those lines. I just wanna know (if anyone does) if the 1st part of this series had to do with soccer or any Latin soccer player? As a Latin person myself, undoubtedly I can say that the impact of soccer on Hispanics in the U.S. is worth mentioning when given 3 chances.

??

2. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    I'm sure the first part was about baseball. ESPN avoids Soccer whenever they can.
    I'm sure their main point is to show how much our great "American" sports are reaching out to other nations and beginning to dominate the world. It makes some Americans feel superior.