ESPN's Canales: league organizers bungled scheduling ensures LA will not make playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, an FCD fan, my sympathy for the Gals' scheduling travails is rather limited. Check our early-season schedule. There's a reason why we had played so many more games than the rest of the league and why we're playing so many home games to finish out the season.

And at the end of the day, AEG and the Gals could've avoided some of this. They could've said to the league, "No, we're not sacrificing ourselves in the second half of the season, just to have Beckham visit every single away stadium." Or they could've bought Becks' contract outright, so that he would've been in LA in April.

Edit: Or they could stop paying Alexi Lalas to run their teams into the ground.

2. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Back towards the beginning of the season there was talk that the Gals schedule was unfair in their favor since they'd have Beckham for more games than they should.

They're not going to make the playoffs because they're not good enough, that's it.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking, isn't it?

MLS began the year talking about how there was going to be "Fixture Congestion" in the summer.

Everybody knew it was coming.

Is this the first dear sweet Andrea has noticed this? Too busy whining about Marcos Gonzalez not letting her see his bare ass to pick up a schedule?

Lalas is an idiot, and as a result LA stinks. It ain't the schedule, toots. It's that red-haired fool up front.

Why don't you get some courage up and write about what HIS stupid ass has done to that team? Oh, that's right, 'cause writing a piece about everything being MLS' fault doesn't get you in hot water with the guys who pass out press credentials and free food.

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA won't make the playoff because they have the quality of a Pub team.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So our national soccer media includes NY apologist Ives Galarcep, LA apologist Andrea Canales, and Bob Bradley apologist Jeff Bradley?

6. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, but you stole apologist from me

It's my word and you cant have it. :p

7. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canales is stupid. LA isn't going to make the playoffs because they suck. They sucked before they got Becks and they still suck even after they got him.

Oh shit soccer isn't a one man sport? Go figure! :rolleyes:

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Can somebody make the argument that LA's schedule is equal to the rest of the league's? That it doesn't put them at a competitive disadvantage?

That 19 games in 10 weeks is completely rational and causes no problems whatsoever?

It seems to me that THAT is the point... that pimpin' out the G's has had a major effect on the team.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's arguing that.

What people are arguing are:

1. The Galaxy are not very good, irrespective of what the schedule looks like.

2. The Galaxy's scheduling issues are largely of their own (or AEG's) making.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    On GM Lalas's list of concerns, quality of play on the field seems to be well down the list below all kinds of off the field concerns - PR, putting on a show, outrageous quotes to get media attenation, attendance, sucking up to the boss, selling MLS, etc...

It's no wonder that gets reflected in the results.

11. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Carlos, do you think that has any correlation to mid-season trades, especially two for ones?

You say that like no one in the Galaxy organization had any impact on the resulting line-ups.

This is exactly the point of most posters - this has been self-induced so there's a bit of a lack of sympathy.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And that's pure bull shit.

The desire to have Becks play in every market wasn't done out of the goodness of AEG's heart.

It was done b/c the league lives and dies by parity, "fairness" and single entity.

What Canales is pointing out is that that "fairness" is biting the Galaxy more than any other team b/c it's simply too many games in too short of a span.

NOBODY ELSE is even close to that. Not Houston. Not even Dallas (14 games in 10 weeks to start) in the early season.

This goes beyond what LA and Chicago had to go through when opening their stadia. The wear and tear on the body is quite different.

Then how on earth did they make it to the Superliga final?

By the way, during those Superliga games is when we've had our lineups that most resemble the true starting XI.

NOT a coincidence.

The schedule is NOT self-induced. That's league-induced.

And I'd say that even w/o any trades, the Galaxy would be dipping extremely low into its developmental roster in order to field a team. That was my point.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am sure Landon Donovan is ecstatic that he skipped Copa America for that.

14. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely incorrect, according to Don Garber.

I watched him in a live interview (FSC pre-match show? espn Thurs.-night game? don't recall....surely someone else saw this and can identify the specifics...), where he was asked whether or not the Galaxy had been placed at a disadvantage b/c of all the later games.

He responded that LA had come to the league and requested the back-weighted schedule! He went on to point out that there would likely be some "lessons learned" that could be applied to future scheduling.

But he specifically stated that LA wanted to have a back-weighted schedule.

And this wasn't in the last couple of weeks, where it has become obvious that Beckham's hurting. This was around the time Beckham was introduced...maybe around the All-Star game? Just sayin....

So either Don Garber is lying, or the focus of the Canales article is completely off base.

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think they suck cos their fans haven't been booing them enough..

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but the fact that Becks didn't arrive until July is pretty much down to AEG. They could've paid a transfer fee to Real Madrid to get him out of the last few months of his deal in Madrid, but they didn't.

Additionally, even if the schedule was completely league-driven, AEG could've put a stop to it by objecting to it. No, they don't control a majority of the league anymore, but my impression of these sorts of league matters is that things tend to be fairly genial and that HSG, KSE, et al, aren't going push for anything too strongly if AEG objects. But then, why WOULD AEG object to this schedule, considering that the Galaxy have a lot of home dates and considering that two of those road dates are in Houston and Chicago (which is still owned by AEG for the time being)?
    Translation: "The good of the league" doesn't feel all that great when it's my team taking it in the shorts.

Any long-time Dallas fan could've told you that.
    Address your complaints to AEG, then.
    The same way they won MLS Cup after six months of regular-season mediocrity in 2005: By performing competently in four matches.

It's a shame that the Galaxy have had to play teams that are completely unaffected by injury or suspension all season long.

It's a darn shame that AEG is so powerless against the might of the league office.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

You mean to tell us that Alexi Lalas was far more interested in creating a traveling circus than in competitive fairness for one of their teams?

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED! -- that Don Garber and you would imply such a thing!

18. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I think she's hot.

19. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see United bitching about the 19 games they're playing over a 10 week period (July 22-October 5th). 10 games into this stretch and United is 6-3-1 in all competitions.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a smart decision, if you care about on-field results. Unfortunately, that's not how AEG/the Galaxy management does things.

21. Cliff Racer

Cliff Racer New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Harrisburg, Pa.
    The won three games, so what, even RSL has a couple points.

LA was near the bottom of the table before the back-ended schedule came into effect, why is that?

22. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pity you.

23. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

In fairness to Lalas, if you are trying to win games, why wouldn't you want to have more games scheduled after the arrival of your franchise player?

Back loading the schedule is one thing, but I doubt AEG asked to play at each stadium and extra travel it required just so each team got a big crowd. That sound's like the league to me.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they own two of the teams that the Galaxy is visiting and since they get a share of each team's ticket sales and since they own a small part of every other team in the league, I'd say that AEG has plenty of financial incentive to show off their new player throughout the rest of the league.

In other words, when Beckham plays in LA, Houston, and Chicago, AEG benefits directly. But AEG also benefits to a lesser extent when Beckham plays in Dallas, New York, and Washington, due to the sharing of ticket revenues and the single-entity ownership.

And in any case, if AEG had objected to the Galaxy's schedule, the other owners would've likely deferred to them.

25. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If true, I stand corrected.

Rep owed. :)