espn2

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by FARMER, Feb 19, 2004.

1. FARMER

FARMER New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Kansas City
  2. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. And it's an away game. The less we're on ESPN2, the better, and don't get me started on home games at 3:00 on Saturday in Kansas City summer. Ugh.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    What, it doesn't go well with your light skin and bald head? :D

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    It would be nice to have a Oct/Nov game or two start at 3 instead of the much colder 7:30.

Not much of a surprise. KC, on the rare occasions ther have been on doesn't rate as well as others, especially if at home. Pity, KC is probably the second most (NE) entertaining MLS team currently. Better to have a 0-0 dc tie with Adu on the bench I guess.

There are still those who think of KC's game as boring and defensive. This despite that hasn't been true in years. No wonder nobody knows, KC isn't ever on for people to see. Truth is dc and LA are the two most insufferably boring teams based on last year's play, IMO. What luck, we get to see them umpteen times.

5. hartley

hartley Member

I wonder what the FSW schedule will be like.

KC appeared seven times last season. And some of those were home games. Great network.

6. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    that espn scheduled is such bullshlt. last year we went to the semis and had the mvp. don't those acount for something? if there are ten teams in the league how many would each team average? I liked it last year when we were on one time at 1 o'clock at night.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and even THAT got pushed back by a half hour, if i remember correctly.

8. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting things to think about from a marketing perspective. Kansas City doesn't draw for shite in the afternoon, and MLS is still looking to create a national audience for soccer. Until/unless KC manages to either fill the camera side of the stadium (not likely given the unpleasant location of the seats) or draft the next big name in American soccer, they're not going to appear on what is supposed to highlight soccer to the more or less casual SPORTS fan.

From a KCW fan's perspective, it ain't fair, but from a fan of the sport's perspective, it's great. People have heard of Adu, and may just tune into a game on a Saturday afternoon to see what all the hype's about. If they see what appears to be an empty stadium, they will think "Soccer is so boring that nobody even goes to the games," even if that perception is inaccurate.

I doubt it's a coincidence that DC appears eight times on the deuce, and nine times total in afternoon play. Three of their four games against the MetroStars make national TV, and they also make two appearances against Chicago. both decent drawing teams....

So how do we correct this imbalance?

1 - Draft the next big name in American soccer, following Freddy Adu. Not likely, because we would have to seriously suck to get a good draft pick like that.

2 - Make afternoon games more appealing. As this would require changing the climate in KC (as much as we call Preki "God", he's not. :)) to increase both overall attendance and TV side attendance or opening up the TV side to GA, which would sacrifice current premium pricing paid, it's not likely to happen.

Not an easy proposition, and for the moment, I'm quite cool with the current schedule imbalance. KCW will just quietly continue to increase our attendance until we're selling out both decks on Arrowhead, rendering an SSS moot, while soccer as a whole increases its footprint.