ESPN ticker

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by GoDizzGo, Oct 11, 2003.

1. GoDizzGo

GoDizzGo New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Los Anchorage
    Did anyone notice that ESPN really messed up their ticker tonight?

I was watching about ~11 p.m. EST flipping between ESPN and the deuce and I saw that they had the final for Chicago-Columbus as 1-0. (I think I even remembered seeing it as a FT a couple hours before) Furthermore, they didn't even list the Colorado-San Jose score.

I've noticed omissions like this before, as they're spotty with giving MLS scores. For example, on the night of the women's quarters, they didn't have the result of the Chicago-LA match.

It's just the same sad story with ESPN and their coverage of soccer. I can understand and have come to expect omissions of MLS scores, but to get it totally wrong like they did tonight it isn't good.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You must be new.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If it's any consolation, the ticker on ESPN news had the Cubs leading the Marlins two games to zero as late as 10 a.m. this morning, if not later. So it's not like this is a sign they're out to get soccer.

4. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    They may not be "out to get soccer" but the level of professionalism and accuracy of ESPN drops dramatically when you go from basketball, baseball, football, hockey and Tiger Woods to any other sport. They can be extemely sloppy.

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    The Women's World Cup final score on the ticker is wrong, too. Shocking.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't when I saw it around 4:30.

7. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, given that they were showing highlights, it did get noticed and they of course fixed it eventually. But initially ESPNews' ticker had the score reversed. (Am I still not allowed to reveal the score in this thread without an [R]? :)