ESPN still sucks...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NJPsycho, Jul 31, 2002.

1. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Here are just a few reasons.

All this talk during the WC about how "...soccer and the MLS becoming popular in the US..." and ESPN isn't doing shiit to help promote the league or the sport. Has anyone ever seen any soccer commercials except during soccer games? Meanwhile, they're advertising tennis matches during soccer matches (not halftime, during the match) and "The Outdoor Games" is getting HUGE promotions.

The announcers are horrible. During Saturdays Metro/Fire game, Jack Edwards didn't even know who's playing and where they've played. "Steve Jolley, err, I mean Mike Petke...", saying how the Metros played San Jose in the last game when it was really Chicago, etc.

Too many interviews during the game. I've seen so many important plays go unmentioned because they're interviwing people in the stands and in the booth. For example: during one game, they spent about ten minutes asking Marcelo Balboa about his injuries and the WC, but they failed to mention that a yellow card and two shots on goal happened. I would really like to hear from these players, but do it before or after the game. Which brings me to my next point...

How about a pre or post game show? Wouldn't you like an update on these teams and the league before the game instead of during the game? I'm sick of seeing plays go by unnoticed while Veronca Paysee is interviewing Beasley's brother's best-friend's roomate.

Anyone else sick of ESPN?

Moderator, please don't move this. I'd like to hear what fans have to say.

2. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    You mean you don't like watching large grown men chop down trees and climb poles? ;)

In Wisconsin that was considered high sport when the Packers weren't playing. (j/k)

Seriously, though...I was rather miffed that last weekend when there was an MLS game on ESPN2, ESPN was showing some pool tournament...our cable system (run by the university) does not carry ESPN, and so we had to listen to the Fire broadcast on the internet instead, same with the Crew later that evening...and San Jose doesn't have any kind of internet broadcasts unless it's a home game, then you get a matchtracker. KC doesn't even have that.

So why does ESPN take up valuable soccer time by showing billiards? Sheesh.

3. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Re: Re: ESPN still sucks...

When I was back in school, one of the neighboring towns of Chippewa Falls was trying to woo ESPN into having the Great Outdoor Games in their city. They were pretty excited about it. Plus, what else is there to do in northern Wisconsin?

Zach

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Re: Re: ESPN still sucks...

hunt canadians?

5. rusty weaponz

rusty weaponz New Member

May 27, 2010

After all the interest we have seen generated over this World Cup,
    I think ESPN is actually covering soccer quite well now. :D

6. neophilus

neophilus Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN was just in it for the money. Now that the World Cup is over they'll go back to their normal ways. Little to no mention of MLS on Sports Center, jackass hosts making jackass comments about soccer. If they didn't have ESPN2 there would never be a soccer game on their cable channels.

7. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be brutaly honest, interest in MLS probably doesn't warrant ESPN spending alot of time covering it. Lets hope that will change someday....

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Are you sure?

Those bastards!!!

9. CravenCrew

CravenCrew New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

10. PastFBCoach

PastFBCoach New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Gettysburg, PA
    To make more money by drawing bigger ratings.

Sad, but true.

ESPN's job is not to promote soccer. ESPN's job it to promote whatever ESPN shows will attract the most viewers and make them the most money.

Soccer's job is to promote soccer.

11. eapleitez

eapleitez Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it goes hand in hand. Soccer does need to promote soccer, but ESPN is synonymous with sports in this country. Do you really believe that the USMNT would have received all this attention, or the WC itself, if ESPN wasn't promoting the WC so well this cycle? No, of course not. So, IMO, if ESPN promoted and covered MLS better, I guarantee that more people would pay attention. A good example is the NHL. More people paid attention when ESPN covered NHL compared to now that NHL is on Versus.

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN really doesn't have an interest in MLS. What they do want are the rights in the USA to carry more EPL games. ESPN was surprised on how well the ratings were on the few EPL games they did air this past season. They want EPL and Champion League broadcast rights in the USA. I think (I'm trying to find the ratings) that the EPL games they aired early on Saturday mornings had better ratings than the MLS games on Thursday nights

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All ESPN wants is to force-feed the three major sports in the US (NFL, NBA, and especially MLB) to the public, with some sprinklings of golf and NHL, and lots of college sports. Heck, even NASCAR and Tennis get more coverage on ESPN than ALL soccer (MLS, EPL, other leagues, national friendlies) COMBINED. It's despicable. I really believe that MLB pays ESPN hefty amounts annually to promote and cover their "sport." They consciously and deliberately do not cover soccer, at any level - except for the World Cup.

A typical summer Saturday could see a handful of MLS matches around the country, yet they'll be lucky to even be mentioned on Sportscenter, and the top 10 plays of the day will be 9/10 simple throw-outs or diving catches in MLB, while some spectacular plays in MLS go unmentioned. 40,000 fans can show up at a game in Seattle and it might as well be 400 - or that's what ESPN would want the average American to believe.

F*ck ESPN.