ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This has been available on the Roku for a long time now.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are. I just checked my Roku settings and I already had it turned off.

The weird thing is that I only see that setting on the Roku ESPN app. When I checked my ESPN app on iPad, I don't see it (even after updating). And as we know it's not seen on ESPN/+ website either.

Does that make some sort of logical sense? Or is it just the inconsistency endemic to streaming platforms?

3. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    FYI: The Union Berlin v Bayern English replay begins about 15 minutes into the match.

I didn’t check the Spanish replay but if you want to watch the first 15 mins it might be good to look at the Spanish replay first

Art Deco repped this.
  4. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    There is also a new option to start games from the beginning on games in progress on ESPN+

BocaFan and NorthBank repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They're learning. Taking a while, but there's progress.

One day I dream that there will be an option to turn off the commentary and just hear the stadium sounds.

richsavare and daniloni repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium sounds will never happen and the pandemic told us why. There's too much foul language coming from the players and fans.

If it were to have been a thing, it would have stuck around on the apps.

The FBS football championship game has natural sounds on the app, but they're the rare exception.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, we already hear the crowd and player noise anyway, right? So am not sure what you are saying. I am not advocating for any new sounds, am just advocating for the elimination of the muppet commentatary.

8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Argentine superclasico had a natural stadium sound feed option about ten days back on Fanatiz and it was wonderful. Just one minor app, but at least someone thinks it's a good idea.

BocaFan repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We barely hear crowd noise. When an f-bomb slips through it's followed by a quick apology.

Yeah, but for mainstream apps/options? How often does ESPN, NBC or CBS have options without commentary?

Like I said... it'll be a cold day in hell before it happens. They've had SAP option via a remote for how many years now?

10. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Mlb.tv had one and it was taken away

People who work on the sports industry don't have any incentive to make an option like that available or popular

11. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least there's the volume down and mute buttons which I make liberal use of.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's so not a big a issue. Happens occasionally., but meh.

13. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ESPN+ will carry several international friendlies/World Cup prep games this week, starting tomorrow:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/tv/espn...ies-before-world-cup-20221109-WST-407379.html

This is excellent news. Hoping Chris Harris or anyone else in the know can clarify the UEFA national teams situation. I thought Fox/Fubo had the English-language rights for friendlies, Nations League, Euro qualifiers, etc. Have things changed?

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the vast majority of these matches are between teams which are NOT going to WC. But was a little surprised it's not 100% that way. But I noticed Portugal & Poland are playing tune-up friendlies this week, less than 1 week before their opening WC match. Can't remember how common that was for past WC's, this close to the tournament starting.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, usually, there'd be 2-3 games well before the teams would travel...and they'd get there maybe a week or so before the first game.

To play games in the home country a week before the opening match for that country has got to be a strange thing. Then again, we live in strange times.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related, but not entirely:

If I have Hulu with live TV, do I need the ESPN app? It seems a lot of live ESPN+ stuff is on Hulu and some of the archived shows are starting to migrate to Disney+ or Hulu.

Soo...would anyone know if I'd be safe to delete the ESPN app? Not just for soccer, but in terms of everything.

17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    ESPN having major problems with their 1PM Eastern Copa del Rey matches today, signal went out after the first minute, came back briefly around the 13th, and is still out as of 1:35. This applies to all the games in the window, so if any of you plan to watch the replays you're going to be doing a lot of FFing early.

EDIT: No sooner do I type this but the games appear to be back as of minute 34. We'll see how long it lasts.

18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    By way of followup, the games were up from about minute 33-44, then went down again, and are now back on for the second half.

19. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yikes, what a clusterf$@&$.

I’m watching the replay of Espanyol - Celta de. Vigo. I can’t understand why they don’t cut out the wait time on the replay. Instead I’m having to fast forward through like 25 mins of their ESPN + promo.

They can’t splice the delay bit out for the archived file?

Did this happen on all the Copa matches today?

20. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm watching the Saudi Arabia vs Yemen match on ESPN+ and there's no announcers.......a little strange but acceptable.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why can't they figure out alternative audio options on a regular basis?

23. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
  24. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Wow. What an epic stream fail in the Gulf Cup final.

25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I've seen people complain about being spoiled when searching for replays to watch on ESPN, and although I've trained myself to not look at the thumbnails for news/highlights in the soccer section, here's a tip for those who don't want to risk it. This is for people who watch on a Roku/Fire Stick or other set top device:

1. Open up the ESPN app on your phone or tablet.
    2. Select the "Watch" tab at the bottom. You should already have gone into settings and selected "hide scores", do this first if you haven't already.
    3. In the upper right corner is a calendar icon, select that.
    4. The calendar is just a list of live, archived and upcoming events with no scores. Select the "replay" tab and navigate to the game you want to watch, and start watching it, just for a few seconds. Exit the game and/or close the app.
    5. Open your Roku or Fire Stick or other TV app.
    6. Scroll down and you'll now see the game you wanted to watch on the main screen under "Continue Watching".

This way the only thing you're exposed to that could have scores is the main page, and if you've turned off scores you'll never see one.

Gyro62 and bostonsoccermdl repped this.