ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to hear the future, just listen to Ian Darke's call of the ENG-SWE game on now. His audio is about 1 sec ahead of play. Let's just say it's a bit of a spoiler on goal actions. I recall that also happening with Martin Tyler's commentary over the years. Do they do this on purpose????

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another mysterious streaming WTF moment today…

I couldn’t watch ENG-SWE on TV, I could only keep an eye on it via ESPN+ on my computer.

After full time I noticed that the stream was showing only commercials or the blue waiting screen, instead of the studio analysis/highlights.

So I walked to the TV where I had recorded the same game on ESPN2. Lo and behold, there was the studio analysis portion, and also the same thing from halftime. Neither of which were shown on the ESPN+ stream.

Why is it so difficult for them to replicate basic broadcast coverage components on their stream??

3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I see the German Cup, which was a perennial of ESPN3 programming going back 10 years or so, has now migrated to ESPN+. As a + subscriber this is a good thing since I can now pause it live or go back to where I left off.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with that. I've had generally disappointing results in resuming paused streams. Many of them seem to time out, many of them start back up from the beginning. It's largely variant and dependent on which of the many fragmented platforms I have to use.

Broken record time: I never have/had this problem with my DVR... if I pause it literally stays in that spot until I come back... can be hours, days, even weeks I suppose.

richsavare and Art Deco repped this.
  5. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Well considering how ESPN3 stuff could never be paused live, it's an improvement. DVRs were never relevant to it.

Also it looks like the ESPN app, at least on the Roku, has added a "Continue Watching" feature on its home screen for replays you don't finish watching. I saw it this morning for a German Cup match I watched yesterday to conclusion of the game but not the end of the video file.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So, doesn't look like they are showing the Eredivisie this season. That blows!

Any other changes?

richsavare and Mikebsiu repped this.
  7. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Where did you read this??

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In the Dutch forum.

Also don't see anything from the Eredivisie on the espn+ schedule. I know they can be late with posting their schedules, but 3 days before the season starts and still nothing. Meanwhile the Belgian, German and other broadcasts for this weekend all appear.

9. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I have always had good luck pausing ESPN+ and the stream picking up where I left off. That was not the case recently when I was the last sports fan on earth to start watching the last dance. Luckily it's on Netflix as well and pause was no problem.

So, the EFL Championship has already started and ESPN only has the Watford game from week 1 in Spanish on the app. That's bizarre. If there is a feed, it will come with English commentary via the UK. From time to time ESPN has shown stadium sound only for cup games when they get the feed from LFCTV or Chelsea TV but this move with the EFL game is strange. Anyone know what happened?

10. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Did anyone else have issues watching the Dortmund/Leverkeusen match on replay. The stream was really choppy and basically unwatchable.

I thought it may have been my internet connection, but when I streamed the Wolfsburg replay the picture was fine.

I tried to go back to the Dortmund match a couple of hours later and still the choppiness was there.

I looked at the Spanish stream and the picture was fine. Although for the first 15 minutes or so the audio was about 5 seconds ahead of the picture.

Anyone else have issues?

11. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Yeah, the Dortmund-Leverkusen stream was bad. I stuck with it since I wanted English commentary.

Meanwhile, ESPN's new trick of showing EFL Championship games only Spanish continues. I have no idea why they're doing this. There are X number of games each week and those games rotate teams during the season. ESPN has access to those games with commentary unless they have a new deal and paid for less games--still they would have to pay for the images and I doubt the commentary costs much more. It's bizarre, but typical of US football coverage: make changes when something works, make changes midway through a season for no reason, mess with commentary constantly.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  12. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Bundesliga 2 is ALWAYS choppy and barely watchable. I’m also hearing a rumor that championship replays will not be available.

13. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Seems like more than a rumor as Monday's West Brom-Watford match, which they showed live, was nowhere to be found on replay.

14. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It seems with the new EFL deal the replays are back - they were all there for the Carabao Cup games this week and today's Watford-Burnley Championship match has replays in both English and Spanish available.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I see there is an advertisement that the price of espn+ will go up on 23 August. Doing the math, it suggests it will cost $8.33 per month after 23 August.

Or it could just be a lie. :unsure:

Screenshot_20220814-153219_Facebook.jpg

16. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No lie and the Disney+ package will be going up to $14.99 eventually.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just got an offer from American Express to supposedly save $7 OFF Disney+ Bundle.

Up until now I’ve only subscribe to ESPN+ but it seems I might actually save money by taking this offer.

However in the fine print it says I may have to allow 6 to 8 weeks before the $7 monthly credit is applied?!

Have any of you done this offer has it come through fine and been worthwhile?

Also nowhere did I see how long the credit is in effect for!

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically the "6-8 weeks" stuff is due to billing cycles. If you have the unfortunate luck of signing up at a bad time during the billing cycle, it can take a bit of time to show up.

It's not necessary a Disney/ESPN thing.

19. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    what if you already paid for espn+ for 2023

20. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If you got the 1-year $69.99 option, there's no way they can jack up your price until the end of your subscription.

In my case, I'm paid for until Sept 13, 2022 and was hoping I'd be able to renew now for an extra year at $69.99 before the August 23 price increase, but it doesn't look like it's possible. Not a big Bundesliga or La Liga fan, so don't think I'll renew at $99.99.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good news for those that hate spoilers when browsing for a match to watch On Demand or on delay. When I opened the ESPN app yesterday, a pop-up menu appeared asking if I wanted to keep spoilers on or turn them off.

So, no longer do I see the scores of in-progress games when I'm browsing for something to watch. This basically means that you no longer have to wait until a match is completely over to start watching it. Though, if the match you want to see is completed, you still have to be a bit careful because they still have the highlight clips throughout their interface that contain titles that act as partial spoilers.

NorthBank repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven’t seen this myself, but this simple little added feature is a great example of how the streamers can make a more customer-friendly product, as long as they just listen to the Feedback. :D

I wonder if this feature/setting will apply to all platforms, including Roku?

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes it does. I changed the setting on my SmartTV, but I just checked on my non-SmartTV that is hooked-up to a Roku and the spoilers are turned off.

NorthBank repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you find the new spoilers setting? I was looking on the ESPN+ website and didn't find anything like that under profile, video settings, subscriptions, etc, etc.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Using Roku its under Settings -> Video settings. There's an option about live score display.

Indeed I don't see this option when I visit the espn.com website.

NorthBank repped this.