ESPN Picks WC PBP Man

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by monster, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Our beloved Univision commentators, tend to butcher the names of players. The best spanish speaking commentators are the Argetinans, the Spanish are good as well. How I wish Univision would get Palomo from Deportes and some well spoken manager or ex player to call the games for the WC, not Bracamontes! I can handle the tall guy they call the torre de Jalisco, as long as they put a good color/analyst next to him.

I understand that they obvioulsy want to present the cup with a Mexican bias due to the latin population in this country being mostly Mexican, but proffesionalism would indicate that a multi-national team of commentators is the appropriate way to go.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this day and age, how hard would it be to have ESPN use this setup?

Martin Tyler for the big games
    JP Dellacamera for the USA games with Martin Tyler on SAP (or vice-versa.)

That way, wouldn't most everyone be happy?

3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    That'd be a waste of money. Not cost effective

4. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    dellacamera by himself would be fine. the amatuer Harkes ruins him. unforutnately JP feels the need to strike up conversation with babble face, probably because they are on espn and are 'storytelling.'

GG
    lol

5. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    on a different note, anyone know what happened to Georgie Bingham? This is two weeks in a row that she hasnt been on the ESPN broadcast.

6. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I guess Tyler is a watse of time and money, cause im sure espn didnt here for the american fan interest.

7. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    sure they did. i dont have to watch the world cup muted next year.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm expecting Bob Ley to be there. Doubtful he'd be doing color commentary again, but I expect him to be doing features throughout the Cup. It looks like he's decided that soccer isn't a CLM at ESPN any more and he's reengaged.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

10. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    That would be FANTASTIC.

BE CHAMPIONS!

11. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Career Limiting Move

12. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    As I take it going by ESPN International website it looks like the Atlantic edition of Sportscenter might of been given the flick :eek: and if the case Georgie Bingham probably went with it. With Press Pass expanding to 5 shows per week they probably did not feel the need to keep producing a SC program for the African/Caribbean/Middle East regions

13. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's a damn shame. I like Georgie. Not to mention when she was on, we didnt see that troll Tommy Smyth.

14. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Tommy Symth is still there he appeared on the Aus/Nz version of SC just before as a football analysis :D

15. fireballil

fireballil Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Litchfield,Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up numpties! :p

16. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP is a good announcer, hes also good for the USA games. Its the color commentary that has been lacking for years, Even Ty Keough was lousy. To be honest though, only hardcore USA fans will care if JP is there or not. I personally dont care, i dont hear much of the USA game since i am focused on the action. Its not like American football where there is 40 seconds between plays and you have to fill it with utter rubbish.

If Martin Tyler makes the world cup better for some viewers, great. the mother ship is trying to expand viewers, let them. Either way its the teams performance that matters most

17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I hope they use good balance , the 2008 euro was a euro fest at the booth and the desk with the exception of Reece Davis, I still beleive that needs to be the case for the World CUp, a good collection of soccer people for presentation... both domestic and international

18. By-Tor

By-Tor Member

Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Fire
    Nov 30, 2003
    Deerfield, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear ESPN:

Please drop Julie Foudy from the pre-game, half-time, and post-game studio shows.

Thanks!