ESPN Page 2: "Go Nats!"

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by dfb547490, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    ...baseball's Washington Nationals, that is--or "Nats" for short (it's not used in the article itself that I could see, but it is in the link to the article from ESPN's front page).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/041202

There, now that the inane "We can't call ourselves the 'Yanks' because that's the name of a baseball team" argument also applies to our small-annoying-bug nicknamesake, can we PLEASE stop calling the team the "Nats"?? Those of you who use it can't possibly have any fvcking idea how pvssified that name sounds.

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I always thought we should just call the team "America". Or just "USA". But make others ask what team or what sport, don't tell them beforehand. That way, people will eventually assume that when USA is playing, its the men's soccer team.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Team America?

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  5. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** yeah.. er...no.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats, nats....

Nats

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I always liked the Expos name. Oh well, it's only baseball.

8. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    The name is whack. I think the Washington Senators was better.

9. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    YEAH! And they can play the theme song from the Movie too!! So much better than the "Goals, Goals, Goals" song. :)

10. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    How about "Nads?" Then we can all cheer "GO NADS!"

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I wish to apologize for my previous posting. I was watching Beavis & Butthead reruns while drunk last night and have not yet recovered all my lost IQ points. :p

12. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    With qualification for the 1986 World Cup looming, US Soccer and the NASL had decided to create a team of American players for the 1983 season. On paper, “Team America” would feature the league’s best American players, moved to an expansion franchise playing a regular NASL schedule in Washington DC. This would give the U.S. Soccer Federation the proving ground to select a national team capable of qualifying for the World Cup.

In fact, Team America was an unmitigated disaster in 1983. The better American players had flatly refused to leave their current clubs, and the result was a poorly put together side that finished last in the league, averaged almost 13,000 a game at Washington’s RFK stadium, and disbanded at the end of the season.