ESPN Not Showing CL Semi-final for First Time

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MiamiAce, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Disappointing.

ESPN will not show the PSV vs AC Milan Champions League semi-final Tuesday April 26. First time ESPN will not a semi-final match. The reason for their decisions is unbeknoweth to us. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that DeMarcus Beasley, an American, is in the semi-final (first ever American? not sure), and this could boost some interest in our country for soccer? We all know ESPN execs wouldn't want that now.

2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they were going to show both, now they're only showing the chelsea-liverpool match. Espn has gone to a new low, first delaying the game on saturday night now this. They are on a roll..

3. speekeasy8

speekeasy8 New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Caledonia, MI
    I don't think that ESPN has a choice. I believe that a new channel, Setanta Sports USA, has exclusive English-language rights to the game.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    ESPN2 is showing both legs of the Chelsea/Liverpool semi, and only the second leg of the PSV/Milan semi. I don't know why.

3 out of 4 isn't bad, but 4 out of 4 would have been ideal.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tv/listing?date=20050504&cc=5901
    Wednesday, May 4, 2005
    ESPN2
    2:30 pm EST (LIVE)
    UEFA Champions League
    PSV vs. AC Milan
    Philips Stadion Eindhoven, Netherlands

5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, im sure they aren't showing anything important at 1130 am tomorrow.

6. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I'm pretty sure they are showing more world series of poker. I like poker as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather watch the CL especially with damarcus in there. I guess ESPN would rather have people watch poker for the 5000th time than show us both semifinals.

7. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Actually, it's even better. They have to show the second re-air of Cold Pizza. Why anyone would want to watch one episode of Cold Pizza since they got rid of Kitt and Thea is beyond my comprehension.

8. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    They got rid of Kit?

Her legs were pretty much the only reason I ever tuned in.

9. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    This dope is amazing. You know full well that ESPN sold the game to Setanta Sports USA, to be debuted tomorrow morning at 06:00. This channel is going to have Milan x PSV as their feature match for the launch. Yet you still whine about ESPN...

You are interested in watching the game. Your agenda are either one of the two, or both:

1) whine at ESPN
    2) only want to watch the game for free (after paying the cable bills)

If you really want to watch the game, who's stopping you from subbing it from DirecTV?

10. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heard of a thing call 'bittorrent'?

around 7-8 hours to download a full game depend on your speed.

Maxxed Forum ROCKS!!!!!

11. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    The few whiners here have been arguing against bittorrents for months, for no reason other than it would weaken their argument against ESPN2.

- BT is too slow
    - BT is not live
    - BT has lousy picture quality
    - can't watch a game on the monitor
    - file is too big
    - if BT works how can we bash ESPN2?

12. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Setanta owned the rights to the game.

I am actually surprised ESPN 2 is showing Chelsea-Liverpool. You'd think Setanta would pay a king's ransom for that game because of the guaranteed pub sales, even if nobody is rushing to purchase their new channel.

We'll see whether or not Setanta gets all the games with English teams next season.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure that the second-leg will also be shown on Setanta Sports USA (since espn is Setanta's biyyyaatch). In other words, its only 2 out of 4.

It's pretty silly that a soccer channel (Set. Sports USA) launches right at the end of the European soccer season. They expect us to pay $12/month all thru the dry summer months just so we can get 1 or 2 games at the tail-end of this season? Are they dreaming? I mean, what are they gonna be showing b/w the PSV - Milan game on May 4th until the first-matchday of 2005/06 Champions League when they MIGHT(!) buy the 5th and/or 6th choice CL match?

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, don't be so sure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/schedule?date=20050504&network=02

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GREAT! Just in time for me to set my vcr to record it. NOT!!! :eek: :( :

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the second game.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I know this is straying off topic, but all roads for the soccer fan point to getting Direct TV. The writing is on the wall...

Just this week (or I realized this week), we now have GolTV and Setanta (a/o today).. GolTV is free, and Setanta has a monthly fee I believe ($12? I am going to call this morning for info)..

This is in addition to an already improving FSC..

Direct TV really isnt that much $$$, and it in my opinion is a small price to pay with all the coverage you get..

Fvck ESPN, but what do you expect from them, expect nothing or the worst and you wont be dissapointed. JUst focus on what you can get access too..

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. There is no one-size fits all. You're not defined as a soccer fan by how many games you can receive on television.

19. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Point taken. I didnt mean it that way. I just see so much frustuation all over re: ESPN, it is important people know they have options.

20. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about getting Directv after my neighbor finally cut down his monster tree that made it impossible for me to see the neccessary patch of sky. However, I stuck with Comcast. I get FSC and Goltv for $5 and already had FSE as part of the spanish tier for $10. I love the C.Libertadores and some of the other programs you can't get on Goltv or FSC. The spanish tier also has TVEI from Spain (although Comcast and the TV Guide think it is telemundo international so you've got to find the football yourself) which has spanish B teams and Spain national team games plus a few other football matches of various sorts throughout the year. The spanish tier also has channels from Chile and Colombia that show their domestic leagues. It also has the spanish version of Goltv which helped recently when the english one went spanish since the spanish one went to english.

I'm doubtful about spending $12 for the new channel but I am hoping that Comcast adds it so I at least have the choice.

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I can't see American soccer (USNT and MLS) moving from free TV or standard cable any time soon. Both products aren't mature enough to move to premium I think.

But satelite and premium cable might very well be where all European soccer eventually ends up since there's a viable market that is willing to pay for it, but not big enough to justify the costs on regular TV.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's never been wrong.

:rolleyes:

24. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Saw over on soccerTV that ESPN 2 will have the second leg game that is closer. Meaning if Chelsea-Liverpool is a blowout in the first leg, they'll show PSV-AC Milan and Setanta will have Liverpool-Chelsea. Otherwise, it's the reverse.

I'm guessing Oliver is right because of the money. Setanta needs the game to mark the launch of its channel. Plus, ESPN gets money for a game that would otherwise be a money-loser for them.

25. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    GolTV is not free, unless you have one of those "special" receiver cards. The Sports package (GolTV and FSC) is $12/mo.