ESPN Insider article about 2014 World Cup lineup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Mar 30, 2011.

1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually Insider articles aren't available without a subscription, but this one you can pretty much get the idea from the first page, here is what the authors of the article has (Luke Cyphers and Doug McIntyre)

http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog?name=us_national_soccer&id=6272711

----------------------------Howard----------------------
    --------------Chandler Ream Opara Bornstein
    --------------Donovan Bradley Holden Dempsey
    ------------------Agudelo Altidore

Bench:
    Guzan
    A. Wallace
    O. Gonzalez
    Agbossoumonde
    Lichaj
    Diskerud
    Kitchen
    Edu
    Feilhaber
    Bunbury
    Davies

Overall this team seems like its a little on the young side to me, esp on the bench, I would not rule out Onewyu completely for 2014, neither would I rule out Jermaine Jones. Also where Altidore is right now he's fallen out of the lock category and Agudelo is also way too early to tell about his future also.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We really can't produce a better LB than Bornstein? What about that defender in Germany who plays for one of the Bayerns? Is he even american?

3. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    there is only one Bayern! ;)

only US eligible German defender I can think of would be Daniel Williams from FC Freiburg

4. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Bornstein is a major liability. Hard to understand how we can have a major weaakness at left back for many years and US SOccer has not been able to identify and develop players to address it. Bornstein would not even get a look for most other countries.

5. j.asgard

j.asgard Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    lol bornstein? Everytime I see bornstein on the field, I say "OK I will give him a chance, maybe he's improved"

And then he screws up. I just don't get why he likes to take the ball and run up the field with it until it gets tackled or he sends it flying to nobody...

6. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Garza or Shea are better options at LB than Bornstein.

7. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    So you're saying a guy who doesn't even play for a 2nd division Portuguese team and a player whose never played the position are better?

Honestly, while Bornstein isn't the solution calm the eff down. He was ok in the world cup and it's not time to start playing college players at the position.

8. JoseDeCuervo

JoseDeCuervo Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I did the same thing and came up with a completely different roster myself, of course I also included the POSSIBILITY of Ponce and Williams.....

GKs: Guzan, Howard
    Def: Williams, Ponce, Ream, Gonzalez, Chandler, Lichaj, Spector
    Mid: Hurzeler, Bradley, Gyau, Lletget, Edu, Donovan, Holden, Mixx, Dempsey
    Fwd: Agudelo, Altidore, Wood, Davies

Last spot is a toss up between: Gatt, Rowe, Kitchen, Valentin, Sarkodie, Jones, Shea, Salgado, Rueles, Corea, McInerny, Doyle, Garza, Bornstien, Gooch, Fielhaber, Bedoya, Torres, Bunbury, Wallace, Molano, Powers, Saad, etc.....( a million other possibilities)

9. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4/10, almost had me there

anyway as fun as it is to speculate lets not forget that there is still time for new talent to blossom :3

10. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    If Anthony Wallace is good enough by 2014 to make the roster, he'll probably be good enough to start over Bornstein. To make the roster, he will need to have played very well in MLS (or even have earned a move to Europe) and shown well in at least a few games for the national team. Considering that Wallace is technically better than Bornstein, he'd have to be a considerably worse defender than Bornstein to fail to win the starting spot. If he is a worse defender, then it's hard to see what the point of taking him would be, since for defense we could move someone over from right back.

11. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle looked like more the finished article from the game I saw last night than Wood. Hurzeler will be, what, 20-21 years old come 2014? I don't think he will be ready at that point. I could see Rowe, if he finds his way to a great club, developing into the attacking midfielder many USMNT fans have craved.

Coming from your pretty good base:

GKs: Guzan, Howard
    Def: Williams, Ponce, Ream, Opara/Gonzalez, Chandler, Lichaj, Boss
    Mid: Edu, Bradley, Gyau, Lletget, Kitchen (also good for CB), Donovan, Holden, Rowe/Diskeruud, Dempsey
    Fwd: Agudelo, Altidore, Bunbury, Davies

On the margins, but possible if they develop: Wood, Valentin, Garza, Shea (please pan out at LB/CB), Doyle, Salgado, Ruelas, Ibeagha... it's a crap shoot at this point

12. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think we will see alot of the u-20 kids on the 2014 world cup. Guys like Kitchen, Valentin, Gatt, Llleget, Gyau, Salgado, Wood, Doyle, and Ruelas are all pretty much playing 1st team ball now in three years who know where they could be.

THe left back is still a problem. Have no idea who will be the guy. Garza is 2nd division player in Portugal now who know where he will be in three years. Don't think it will be Bornstein, Bocanegra, or Spector to be honest though.

13. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bornstein only makes the roster as a reserve. Well at least that's what I hope.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    lol yeah I think that's him. YA hasn't talked about him in a while so I couldn't remember him name. 2014 is a long ways away. Maybe some mlser may appear and become a solid LB option for us.

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all means this. I also like the seeming amnesia about Bobby Convey. He will be 31 in Brazil and certainly still a contender.

Furthermore, there are waaaay too many "What ifs" that aren't sussed out. For one, there are still citizenship considerations with a few players (Such as Najar and Williams) that need to be sussed out. There is also the possibility that one of our younger guys could overtake one of the older starters on the wings- It's possible that Diskerud and Chandler could start over Donovan and Dempsey.

I also don't like naming young guys (Like Opara and Kitchen) before the Olympics. I don't know how the young guys are going to pan out. 4 years ago, Orozco and Wynne were the big hype guys, and where are they now? Kitchen may or may not pan out. Reulas may crash, or heck, he may take Chicarito's job at Man U. You never know.

The most harmful aspect about this ESPN article is the hyping of Juan Agudelo. Yes, the kid is a superb forward and very promising. But hype destroys players. He has only a handful of professional appearances, and while he is a bona fide National Team player, he may or may not be the last Pepsi in the desert.

16. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of crap. No Jones? No LB other than Bornstein? Feilhaber in 2014 playing in the second tier of Denmark? Adu would clearly be a better option by then. Guzan also seems like he is prime to get bumped down the pecking order.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question, people (ESPN Insider) do know that we are required to bring 3 Goal keepers correct?

Or did I miss the 3rd keeper, forgive me if I did.

18. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should bring Eddie Gaven along?

I have no idea who a 3rd keeper would be, but you are totally right! We need 3 keepers (stupidly, I might add)

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I do believe that back in the day it was 22 players, then they added a 23rd for an emergency GK.

So it is 3 GKs or 22 players, at the end it is the same amount of field players.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bornstein? God I hope that's not the case. JJ will be on the team. No mention of Mwanga? I thought he might get citizenship with the next year. If so, he should get a shot.

21. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bornstein and Wallace?? You have to pay $ to read this article?

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Feilhaber won't be in the 2nd tier of Denmark next year, much less in 2014. Aarhus is first in the table, and has only lost one match this entire league season.

Jones is a glaring omission, but the guy is injury prone & soon to be 30. I personally think he'll make it, but you never know.

Any prediction of a 2014 roster is going to be completely wrong.

With what I've seen from Joseph Gyau recently, I think he might be the young kid to break onto this roster.

23. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Think Daniel Willaims of Freiburg will eventually get a look at LB he is out injured now, he has played that position at the youth levels. After Timmy Chandlers success as a young starter in the german 1st division, we need to give him a look too once he is healthy.

24. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Feilhaber isn't going to be in the 2nd division of Denmark next year, much less in 2014. AGF is cruising towards promotion, and Feilhaber's contract as up this summer I believe.

25. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010