News: ESPN gets Rights to the Spanish league in the US

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    La Liga is not doing go on ESPNHD because ESPN has no faith on la Liga. Yesterday, my tivo started recording the R. Madrid vs. Villareal game, but when I tune in, there was a fishing thing on.

La liga is one of the best leagues in europe, and many latinos do tune in. Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo and many others are well know here and in the Latin America community. But from ESPN business point of view, they do better with any other event but la liga. That is why I was very happy to see ESPN loss the Champions rights. Now, you can see every single game on tv, provided that you are a DTV subscriber, and the final will be available to anyone with an OTA.

I am a big fan of la liga, and I was not that happy to see ESPN getting the Sublicense from Goltv. On the other hand, I do see ESPN doing a great job with the EPL, since they do have a great investment in Europe, and doing a great job with the EPL will branded as an international power house like sky(FSI).

La liga is not a good business for ESPN, but la liga does have a strong following in America. This weekend every spanish channel was showing Rafa Marques goal for Barcelona. Last summer here in LA, the Rose Bawl seated over 94K fans for a Barcelona vs Galaxy game, the largest crow gathering for a soccer match since the 94 world cup. But, ESPN gets more money for any other event than La liga.

2. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    espn picking up la liga has only benefited fans of the league outside of the states imho. :(

3. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    It has benefited fans who had the spanish package. Its only five bucks a month, and there are some good movie channels along ESPN Deportes and FSE.

4. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wish directv would offer the Spanish pkg on top of my current pkg for another $5. Is that only a cable provider thing?

5. edogg

edogg Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Spanish package on Comcast in Philly area is additional $20. Crazy.

6. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well thats miami for you. Comcast. I pay 80 bucks for sports package, Spanish package, HBO and Internet (plus basic cable of course)....80 bucks.

7. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    The deal between ESPN's International station and La Liga has been in place a long time before ESPN sub licensing deal with GOL TV (US). So for them to show it in the United States would of been easy as ESPN already provides a Spanish, Portuguese and English feed to the majority of matches they produced for there international stations

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had Comcast in Miami before. $60 bucks for basic (analog) cable. My digital/spanish/sports bill with them was over $110. Only benefit before I went digital was FSE on an analog channel.

9. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    DirecTV charges $20/month for the "en Espanol" package. Way too expensive.

10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's the charge for a Spanish package that includes a lot of the English language cable channels plus the GolTv, Deportes and FSE?

EDIT: Looks like Mas Ultra Deportes ($45/month for 12 months) has mostly everything I can live without except the NFL Network, NBA TV, ESPN U. Don't understand calling it Deportes and leaving out those channels. Lo Maximo (the next package up) is almost $100/mo on special

11. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    yup. i really want espn deportes for the extra german league games too.