ESPN Deportes SAP?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by richsavare, Nov 1, 2010.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does Espn Deportes have SAP available for English Commentary? I have Verizon Fios, but have no idea if this is available.

2. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I've tried SAP on ESPN Deportes it's either silence, or during games it's usually just stadium audio with no commentary at all. I have never encountered commentary in english on SAP.

3. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not even sure how you've encountered that. When I put the SAP on Option 1 (english) or Option 2 (spanish) I get Spanish for either one. Very strange. Do you have FIOS? I wouldn't mind just crowd noise as my spanish is poor.

4. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I have FIOS and I live in the Boston area. I haven't tried this with my FIOS branded receiver, but I have with a Tivo with a multi-stream cablecard. I'll give it a shot on the bedroom TV (the one with a FIOS branded box) next time I see some soccer on there.

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    DIRECTV offers ESPN Deportes with Spanish audio only.

ESPN Deportes does NOT have an English audio track (unlike the 6 versions of ESPN currently being offered to viewers in Spanish-speaking Latin America.)

6. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if ESPN liked soccer they would provide an English SAP track :)

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I have emailed some of the execs at ESPN at various points over the years and every time, I got responses (i.e., asking why Deportes kept editing 5 minutes from the CL games when ESPN had the rights, thanking them for their use of knowledgeable announcers for Euro 2008, and again for WC 2010). When I emailed to ask about SAP on Deportes and to note that every other football-focused US-based Spanish language channel had a SAP option and that Deportes could follow suit to increase audiences (even if minimally), I didn't get a reply.

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe you hit a nerve?

9. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Similarly, I emailed an ESPN exec regarding the possibility of putting ESPN Deportes in the "sports tiers" in addition to the Spanish-language tiers so that ESPN Deportes can double or even triple its subscriber revenue and put ESPN Deportes in a better competitive position vs FOX Deportes and GOLTV.

No word yet on whether the Disney/ESPN affiliate sales executive will attempt to push ESPN Deportes onto "sports tiers".

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    are SAP limitations (or lack of availability) perhaps tied into the specific broadcast rights contracts?

does Disney even have the English language TV rights in this market for a lot of the content they distribute on ESPN Deportes?

(note, they have dual-language rights for MLS, but I don't know if they offer the ESPN2 audio on ESPN Deportes SAP during MLS broadcasts. seems kinda pointless to do that given the HD and vast availability of ESPN2, but someone could check that out tonight for NY/SJ.)

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Strange. I get ESPN Deportes in one of the regular FIOS line ups but I had to add a sports tier to get Fox Deportes & Gol TV.

12. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're mainly talking about the games that are unavailable in english anywhere else.

13. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might still not hold the rights for those games in English though, even if no one else does. I imagine buying Spanish rights to the dutch league is much cheaper than buying English and Spanish, and since ESPN Deportes is a spanish only channel, why pay extra for the English if they don't have to.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    understood.

but that's also my question. if these games are unavailable in English, there's no assurance that Disney has the rights to broadcast an English-language SAP.

again, I don't know all the details of the contracts they've signed for all the various leagues and content they show on ESPN Deportes, but I'm not convinced they have the contractual right to broadcast in English for some/many of those matches.

or,

what he said.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN, Inc. does have the U.S. video rights to Eredivisie in English.

(Ditto the Bundesliga and La Liga sublicenses from GOLTV, Inc.)

ESPN3.com streams the international video from IMG Sports Media straight through, either with English commentary or with stadium sound only.

16. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they have the TELEVISION rights for english though or only internet rights?

17. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    ESPN International started to provide English language commentary to the Dutch league roughly 2 weeks for the Caribbean market I found this out when talking to one of the new ESPN Commentators Mark Donaldson

ESPN International website is listing Mark Donaldson and Shaka Hislop to be the English language commentators for FC Utrecht vs PSV which will air on delay on ESPN Caribbean, if they are commentating the game live or on delay I am unsure but if its live there is a chance ESPN3.com will take that feed

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I can't answer the question but I can say that if they don't have English rights for TV then they don't feed the SAP through. Gol did this in the past, FSE did this with U-20 WC 2007 if I remember correctly. So rights shouldn't be a factor for SAP as long as there are enough games to make it worth their time and effort.

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know they have english television rights for La Liga because they show La Liga games on ESPN2. But no SAP for those games on Deportes not shown on ESPN2. I can't imagine that getting English TV rights for Deportes games coupled with selling Deportes on the Sports tier would be a net loss, but who knows. Maybe their sublicense with GolTV means they can only show 20 La Liga games and no Bundesliga games in English on ESPN2. But I suspect that a good amount of us would buy Deportes if it had English SAP