ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SnakeEyes, Sep 6, 2002.

1. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Re: Re: ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

Ed: Stockholm Syndrome...learn it, live it, love it!

2. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Re: Re: Re: ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

So you're comparing lack of soccer coverage to the criminal act of kidnapping.

Go look up "perspective" in a dictionary. Then come back and talk.

3. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

So being taken and held by terrorists is the same as not agreeing with you on what coverage deserves ? Where did you get your degree doctor ?

4. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Oh, I should just leave this alone!!!!!

But.....I.....Just.....Can't...help....myself....

I...must...resis.....

Oh, I hate it when I have to walk people throught things...

The stockholm syndrome explains why those WHO are taken hostage begin to sympathize with THEIR captors. (you see, Ed, you are not MY hostage, rather, the hostage of the TV sports industry, hope that helps!)

It is best know in this country for its use in the Patty Hearst case, by F. Lee Bailey....

Not that any explaination for you guys would do, since you clearly did not understand the point....

Does the term..."Way over your head" help any!

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    We know that already. What we want to know is what warped thought process leads you to compare criminal acts to not getting enough soccer coverage?

Perhaps you could answer that question sometime. Or is that over your head?

6. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You little piece of trash . You are a complete ************wit . Comparing the feelings that a victim of a crime or terrorist plot has to someone who disagrees with you is completely assinine .

1. You belittle the the feelings if the victim of a crime or terrorist plot . What next you going to say that you know the feelings of sorrow that the families of the victims of 9/11 because you lost your MLS team ?

2. You are saying that I don't have a mind of my own because I don't follow the BigSoccer group think of " Soccer is always the victim of not enough coverage " .

I'm not the complete moron in this discussion . I chose to ignore stupid comparison the first 2 times you said it . But when you keep on insisting on using this very offensive metaphor I had to call you on it . Obviously the idea that your metaphor is way out of line has gone over your head .

7. McCheese

McCheese New Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The shiny lure jigged in front of the lunker largemouth bass. He didn't want to strike; he was full from the live bait he'd stolen earlier in the Bassmaster's broadcast (ESPN). But when it jigged again he just couldn't help himself, and struck just before the Zebco commercial..."

I can't resist the bait either. Oh PLEASE! Say you are just pulling someone's chain.

First of all the "stockholm syndrome" has a lot more to do with Patty Hearst and the SLA, than USA and Al Queda... AS WAS EXPLAINED.

Secondly, the stockholm syndrome is a pretty good analogy and is perfectly applicable to explaining the behavior of some MLS fans here.

ESPN has the broadcast rights to MLS. So we are, in fact, their CAPTIVE AUDIENCE... at their mercy regarding what they choose to show in actual games and highlights.

In the first stages of the syndrome, you tend to get mad, posting gripes about lack of games and highlights on Big Soccer.

Then you try to escape... pricing a dish just because that's the only way you can conceivably see more than a minimal amount of soccer without booking a plane ride to your favorite MLS destination... (oops, it used to be a car ride)...

But then, as time goes by, you begin to see things through the eyes of your captors (the last stages of the syndrome taking over)...

You say: "ESPN is oppressed by market forces." ..."As an Oppressed multi-million dollar corporation, it's only natural that they should ignore "programming" that has large blocks of time that don't generate sufficient commercial revenue, every 7.5 minutes." Finally, your mind totally warps, and you say... "No sport deserves coverage, unless it can draw crowds and revenue like the NFL or MLB (or minor league bball with $3 per game tickets)"

As you say this, YOU ARE IN THEIR POWER... This can be verified when you go to the fridge during the next Sportcenter commercial for another one of their sponsor's beers...

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Have you heard of the "Lonely person who should get out more" syndrom?

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    http://www.sniggle.net/stock.php

"The Stockholm Syndrome comes into play when a captive cannot escape, is isolated and threatened with death, but is shown token acts of kindness by the captor. It typically takes about three or four days for the psychological shift to take hold."

Yep, this is exactly what we're dealing with for soccer coverage :rolleyes:

10. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great another ************nut in Tampa . With this much time on their hands down there . You'd think more people would have shown up for Mutiny games. Must be the sorrow of losing their team . Kind of like the families of the Victims of Oklahoma City .

11. McCheese

McCheese New Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one last try, and then "uncle".

I don't think USA was saying that some people on Big Soccer have actually been kidnapped by militants, tortured, raped, and had quotes from Mao whispered in their ears. Call me crazy, but I don't think he's not actually suggesting that anybody here is really getting ready to change their name to Tanya and start totting a gun for the SLA.

It's an analogy, dudes. So a little less rightous indignation please?

Peace, out.

12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hey ************wit , what part of "it's over the line" don't you understand ?

13. McCheese

McCheese New Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of "analogy" don't you understand.

Go to bed. You might get it in the morning.

14. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Once again for our slow Florida friends . What part of it was ridiculous and inappropriate doesn't sink through your thick skull.

Then again, what do you expect from the residents of a state that hasn't figured out how to count votes .

15. Gilgongo

Gilgongo New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Re: Re: ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

You GO, New York! Give us corrupt and slow Floridians the benefit of your vast experience and sophistication. Not to mention your moral superiority. This superiority must account for your status as an insider, as one who shares confidences with "ESPN contacts." (Sounds kinda similar to "KGB masters" to me ... whoops, now he's gonna start quoting from "Harvest of Sorrow" and accuse me of insensitivity to the millions of starved Ukrainians in the 1930's Stalinist Collectivization. Maybe he'll accuse me of saying, "I know what the Ukrainians felt like, since I lost my soccer team." )

What part of "Don't be a stun mope" don't you understand, Ed? You're not the only person who knows what the Stockholm Syndrome is. You shouldn't give yourself airs just because you have a subscription to "Psychology Today."

Just to get back on topic, the previous observation that all of us who were up in the wee hours watching WC merely proved that "Americans like the Big Event" should be sufficient to demonstrate that if there isn't a conspiracy against soccer in this country by those who control our airwaves, there might as well be.

16. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural

So how come they're not watching soccer at 4 p.m. EDT, 1 p.m. PDT on Saturday afternoons?

17. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Any State with Dade County in it should not be calling another state corrupt . Also sorry to disappoint you but there really hasn't been any good corruption scandals up here for at least 10 years . Florida's Vote counting problems happened again last week . I would love to tell you who my "contacts" at ESPN are but they might get in trouble as they get me in to watch Dundee matches when they are on ESPN international . Nothing really deeper than I just want to be able to continue to see the Dee .

I wasn't the one who was trying to impress everyone with pop psychology . All I did was point out that it was an invalid and inappropriate analogy .

Track and Field draws great ratings during the Olympics ( better than the World Cup), but ESPN never rarely covers it outside the Olympics . By your logic there is a conspiracy to hold back Track events like the Milrose games as well . The fact is no one is watching the Soccer that ESPN shows now (MLS and the Champion's League) . Until these current broadcasts get any kind of ratings you really don't have a leg to stand on when complaining that the sport doesn't get the coverage it deserves .

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I think you use "no one" a little too loosely. The fact is over a hundred thousand people went out to watch MLS games this past weekend, and 100,000 more are expected for this upcoming weekend. I watch MLS broadcasts so you're already off by at least one on your estimate.

Here is the bare minimum I think it's fair to expect of an alleged sports journalism site: I would like to be able to go to ESPN.com's SOCCER page and have them clip the AP story from the MLS games this weekend and post a link. Go to their Soccer web page -- NOT ONE LINK to this past weekend's games, all of which were full of adventure. I didn't ask for front page news. BTW, if you want the latest updates on bowling, click here.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/pba/index
    Here's all the latest details on the Great Outdoor Games:
    http://espn.go.com/gog02/
    Horse racing:http://espn.go.com/horse/index.html
    Women's college volleyball: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/index
    Minor league baseball:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/index
    Rowing:
    http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2002/0915/1432308.html
    AND yes, here it is, TRACK AND FIELD: http://espn.go.com/oly/index.html
    Including results from both Paris and Yokohama track meets last week.

Compare and contrast.

Whether you think I or anyone else has a "right" to more coverage, please explain to me how MLS coverage is NOT inferior to lots of other sports that didn't have 100,000+ fans in attendance this past weekend.

19. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Re: Re: Re: Re: ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

ROTFLMAO......Ed: Ever been to Dade County (or Broward or Palm Beach for that matter).

It is filled with nothing but transplanted New Yorkers.

The ValueJ-E-T-S play the Fish this weekend, and the staduim will be filled with nothing but New Yorkers...

Florida ends (for that matter, the South), and New York begins at Jupiter (Florida).

As for my analogy, well, you are welcome to your opinion. Others accurately spoke for mine. Nothing more need be said. (but that won't stop you, will it?)

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

It's funny 'cause it's true.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I really want to even get in this debate, but here you go:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/soccernet/soccerresults?leagueCup=USA.1&startDate=20020914

22. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ok , the no one comment was an over statement . 100,000 attending a whole league is basically an insignificant number when talking about the American sports landscape . The can nearly get that in Michigan for a college football game . You can get half that number in Yankee Stadium alone . Besides we are talking TV ratings right now . the MLS games and Champions league don't get any real ratings .

Looks like the guy ahead of me beat me to the link on ESPN . MLS is there so this point has been blown out of the water . But the conversation was about TV coverage not web coverage .

Once again 100K across an entire league is basically an insignificant number when compared to any "major" sport ( including college ) .

23. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I don't understand why it is so important to be dismissive of MLS. Your argument keeps changing to try and fit your theory.

Remember, this is YOUR premise -- MLS must meet some "attention" number before Sportscenter should show highlights of it, and it hasn't met that mystical number. Well, what's the number? One of your previous posts suggested 250k showing up for 22 events (X-games) proved coverage was deserved. I just gave you 100k+ for 5 events, plus another anticipated 100k+ for the next 5 events, plus some playoffs drama, and now you say that's too small? What is this target, and why is it ever-shifting?

The flaw in the logic (it is my premise) is that any "attention" number you set WON'T hold true across the board. MLS will beat SOME of the other sports that get more coverage (maybe X-Games and Bassmasters, for example). If you can't find a number that is true 100% of the time, your premise can be rejected because, remember, you're the one arguing this is THE reason MLS highlights don't get shown. To be correct you need to show it is true in EVERY instance.

Keep in mind, I agree with you for MOST of the show. But when you reject the idea of ten seconds, thirty seconds, etc. as unjustified by numbers, it's up to you to prove the rule of numbers is ALWAYS applicable.

And so far, the only way you've done that is by hiding the ball and changing the target. What are "real" ratings? What ratings target does MLS have to beat, and are you sure there's no other sport they've spent more time on with lower ratings?

24. capuita

capuita New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Silicon Valley
    I agree with most opinions that it is all about economics with a few exceptions. But if we stay focused on economics then the target for our 'campaign' efforts should not be ESPN or its management but its top three largest accounts. Does anyone know who these top three companies are that spend the most dollars on ESPN advertising? Then we can target their CEO to encourage him/her to inform ESPN that they would like their products to be associatedd with MLS/soccer.

25. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Yeah, they are called "other sports leagues in the US that don't want competition from MLS."