ESPN Conspiracy? eh?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SnakeEyes, Sep 6, 2002.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Of course none of you saw this evenings' Today's Best on Sportscenter that just aired. Continue on with the conspiracy talk. :)

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i missed it, what was it?

and of course i don't believe there is a conspiracy, if there was... soccer would be on espn3... the cable station that only wyomingians get... jeez

3. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    You could ask, in fact, why ESPN didn't lead with USA Basketball's, um, little burp in the Worlds rather than the NFL opener.

There's a "show me the money" dance to be had somewhere on this planet... actually, at any given moment. ESPN obviously stays true to the payroll end of the relationship.

4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Brasil soccer "nice header" (said with enthusiam) by Carlos from a free kick by Alessandro. No jokes, no slams. Just a good highlight. Some at ESPN must like soccer for A) this to be found B) for it to make air.

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Well, there WAS a poll on tonight's Showcase, who votes to see their country's loss as the opening segment over the opening game of the NFL season?

6. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
    you people have tooooo much time on your hands

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
    Just on ESPN's coverage of USA's loss in basketball

"Back to back losses, 5th place now the best possible finish for the US. We are officially a soccer playing nation. The United States not even the best team in it's hemishphere"

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    It was a joke. They used it as a joke. It was simply a part of a "bit" they used. As for respect, an hour and a half show and not even a mention of the Mutts drubbing of Dallas. Soccer still isn't on the radar screen at Sportscenter.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I fail to see how it was a joke. But ok. As far as no Metrostars vs Dallas highlights, oh well.. match wasnt really that good anyway. I'm not saying ESPN has the respect for soccer that fans wish they did. Just that it's not as bad as others make it out to be.

10. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    I don't know why you people even bother...

ITS in ESPN's BEST INTERESTS for soccer to thrive, WHY?...

Because they own cheap television rights....

Espn doesn't hate any sport, but there only going to show what gets them ratings...

As for the World Basketball Championships not being the lead because of American Football.... Thats because American Football is more important the Basketball in this country, and THANK GOD for that....

Theres no conspiracy, when soccer is popular in this country then you'll see a sportscenter showcase of NY-DAL soccer match... Espn doesn't make a sport, they only over hype whats current...

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're quite wrong.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he wasn't genuflecting when he said it. :rolleyes:

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It's times like this I really love ESPN.

14. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You'll also notice that they failed to put on the ceremonial soccer robes before airing the highlights. Heretics.

15. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO

Hehe... Classic...

16. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC

The reason NFL season opener led (other than the fact that the WBC tourney isn't all that important) is that this is ESPN's first season with broadcast rights for NFL games and the game was on ESPN. Self promotion. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, from a business perspective it makes good sense, but that's mostly why NFL led.

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL has had broadcast rights to the NFL for years and years. They've had Sunday night games for a while, and I recall them having preseason games going farther back.

18. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    QUESTIONS!

1) I hardly ever watch sportscenter, mainly because it 90 percent baseball highlights.

2) Am I to understand that it was a 90 minute long sportscenter, and that the Metros game being played on ESPN 2 got ZERO highlights?

3) Someone explain to me why I am SUPPOSED TO FEEL OK ABOUT THAT?

4) After explaining #3 to me, answer me if you will whether or not you think a WNBA game being played Thursday night on the duece would have been equally snubbed?

Beleive me, I am not bitching here, but the amount of self loathing by some of you is a little much. Some of you choose to be arrogant snobs because it make you feel better, is that it?

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Good for you. I do the same.

2. I don't know. See #1 for why

3. Because life goes on

4. What's the WNBA?

I'm not an arrogant snob, just realistic. Simply putting highlights on ESPN is not going to change the league's fortunes around. And being in the news business for a dozen years I know how people who act like their event is extra-special important have a funny way of working themselves to the bottom of the pile.

Just like picking up a girl, act cool and unruffled. Being a nervous dork hoping for attention isn't flattering.

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Projecting, are we?!?

21. IsItSnowingInSpace

Mar 20, 2000
    Orem UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gimme a break

It wouldn't be due to the fact that the NFL fan base in this country is big, no, huge, compared to soccer, and that this was the first game of the much anticipated season by said fan base.

Naw.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking from my teen-age experience, yes. But then again many soccer fans, when confronted by a lack of soccer in the mainstream television media, often act like a pimpled kid who can't understand why the head cheerleader won't give him the time of day.

Then he turns into an assinine stalker who can't see the big picture and how serious dialogue is a lot better tactic than "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!"

Doesn't anyone find it funny that soccer coverage improved when the US did well in the World Cup and people cut back on the whining?

23. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    millions of people will tune into sportscenter to see football and baseball highlights.

millions will tune in for basketball.

hundreds of thousands will tune in for hockey.

12 people want soccer.

now you tell me who should get the shaft?

24. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    12?

Would that be a soccer jury?

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Gimme a break

That's crazy talk.