ESPN blows it again (what a surprise!!)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by ThrashBoy, Sep 30, 2003.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I can almost assure you that a) no it won't and b) ESPN will make more money on Streetball regardless because they will be able to sell more advertising per hour on Streetball than they could on CL

Don't take this the wrong way, but until more people watch CL, ESPN doesn't really give a damn about your book.

They are showing a CL match, just not at a time most soccer fans would prefer. Seems they're meeting their contractual obligation.

Again, ESPN doesn't really care. Sorry.

So at least you're used to the odd hours already.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    3, I remember; maybe more.
    (They weren't all clinching, one, forget which, was the entire 9th inning of a game 3 or 4 when the series was tied. Y'know, important stuff that needed to be on 2 channels at once, in case someone could only get ESPN2........)

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    They are? Doesn't seem like it to me. Maybe you should complain to FIFA to be a wee bit more specific as to the contractual obligations in the future.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Does somebody have a copy of this contract so the rest of us may peruse it?

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    UEFA thinks we all watching the matches, just send a message to info@uefa.com

UEFA
    Route de Genève 46
    Case postale
    CH-1260 Nyon 2
    Switzerland

Telephone: ++41 22 994 44 44
    Telefax: ++41 22 994 44 88
    Media Desk: ++41 22 994 45 59
    Web Site: uefa.com
    E-mail: info@uefa.com

7. Juan10

Juan10 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    outside philly
    So does Billiards, Dog shows, Car shows and Sumo wrestling get better ratings than futbol?

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Guys, you know I'm not a knee-jerk ESPN basher. But they dropped the ball here. No, we didn't know the exact field of eight teams until the weekend, but what were the odds that we'd have two East Coast games and one West Coast game today? Certainly enough of a chance that they were playing havoc with the afternoon planning of a few thousand people by saying they'd have a Champions League game.

Ideally (assuming interest from FSW), it'd be nice to see the group phase with Fox Sports World picking up a direct feed from Sky. Then you could switch it over to ESPN2 for a bigger audience in the knockout rounds, well after the baseball playoffs.

(On a tangent: I'd have to assume the reason they want ESPN and ESPN2 clear is so that they can show the 4 p.m. game even if the 1 p.m. game runs beyond its time slot, which it is indeed going to do.)

(For the record: I don't believe I said it was a contractual obligation. I think, though, that it's good business sense and good manners to warn people when there's a strong chance that the live programming you're advertising won't be shown as scheduled.)

9. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes sense and is probably the case.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The baseball schedule for today is (times PDT):

Twins at Yankees 10 am, ESPN
    Marlins at Giants, 1 pm, ESPN
    Cubs at Braves, 5 pm, FOX

The CL game was moved out of its live slot because, if the first game goes long and overlaps with Marlins/Giants, ESPN is contractually obligated to show one of the games on ESPN2 for as long as the overlap endures. In the past, they have cut into the live CL broadcast with baseball. I remember a Man U game a few years ago when they missed two goals for this reason.

ESPN did not know for sure that there would be two day games today until the times were fixed on Sunday. MLB had the option to schedule the Yankee game in the 1 pm PDT timeslot and the Giants game at 8 pm PDT. In this case there would have been no chance of an over lap at 1 pm and thus the CL game could have been shown without any threat of preemption. In fact, the Giants organization asked MLB to use this scheduling alternative, but MLB chose not to use this option because they did not want to force the folks in Miami to wait until 11 pm EDT to see their team.

11. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Soccer kicks Sumo's ass.

12. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    http://www.kenn.com/sports/baseball/mlb/index.html

Look at the bottom and you'll find that about 67 million people disagree with you. And destroy soccer? Then ESPN's doing a hell of a job of it since they show an MLS game every Saturday.

Whether you like it or not, baseball and not the Champions League has ESPN's ear. It probably has something to do with little piddly things like money and ratings.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I just got this from ESPN

Thank you for writing to ESPN.

Please note that Tuesday's UEFA Championship League soccer game
    featuring Internazionale FC vs. FC Dynamo Kiev will now be aired at 1:00
    a.m. ET Wednesday morning (Tues., 10:00 p.m. PT).

Due to live coverage of the MLB Playoffs, there is a risk that viewers
    could miss action from the UEFA game, if it is aired at 2:30 p.m. In
    order to provide fans with complete coverage of today's soccer match, we
    moved it to 1 a.m. ET / 10 p.m. PT.

Sincerely,
    ESPN Viewer Response

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

14. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares about baseball, a stand still sport for non-athletes.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Maybe. Maybe not. But I do know that they all give ESPN better opportunities for commercial breaks, thus better opportunities for ad revenue.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

I don't think ESPN does these anymore, but the do get very good ratings

Maybe

Maybe, but I doubt it.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Those bastards

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Or even be able to stand in the same room as Barry Bonds...

(Jesus, did I just agree with Mike Segroves on something??)

19. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay, so that's a nice, reasonable, and almost acceptable response. I mean, I'm actually impressed that they've set up a few things (like the special page linked from the comment section) to explain the situation. But still, why couldn't they have told us sooner so that we could have avoided this mess? I swear I checked before I left home this morning and it still said the game was on. Oh well, guess I'll have to tape it. Anger fading...fading...RISING...fading...

Get that food to that church, Mike Segroves, God bless you!

The "who cares about baseball" approach is hardly going to work...

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I care about baseball. And football. And hockey. And rugby. And wrestling (the real kind, not that WWE crap). Oh, and soccer.

I didn't get the memo that you were only allowed to care about a single sport.

21. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think ESPN picked the best match to show but nevertheless I was going to watch.. I was pretty pissed when I saw streetball instead when CL was supposed to be on. ESPN just messed up again. There is no reason to replace live CL with streetball.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the timing was awful, but the NFL made a decision with less than a week to go to move a game back three hours (Ravens-Chiefs) to get better TV coverage. These baseball teams just found out a day or so ago when they would play. .

Things change people. Why it would be nice for more notice, no one owes it to you, me or anyone else.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Yeah, I'll call Christine Brennan, Mark Bushman and Michael Lewis, and we'll get right on that.

I know no TV.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    the complaints of a few NFL fans don't really jive here. as if there was no other coverage of NFL on Sunday. sure there was.

CL in the USA is a one-match every 2-3 weeks proposition, and the fact that it will be on at 1am is not the way to boost soccer ratings.

sure ESPN might/could show more soccer at better hours (the Inter-Kyiv match could be shown at 9pm tonight on ESPN2 or ESPNClassic), but it's a catch 22 with soccer getting better ratings and more airtime. will either come first?

espn (in the US) is not a soccer-friendly network, and it doesn't have to be. but it would be great if it were more than just soccer-tolerant. perhaps they'd show on ESPN2 a wednesday match instead of tape-delay broadcasting a tuesday afternoon match that was bumped because of an mlb contract.