ESPN anti soccer network

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by JcUSA, Jul 31, 2003.

1. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Espn doesnt show the highlights for the Juve- Man U match on Sportscenter, Im done with this channel. 80,000 fans there and an American playing for Man U. It cant get much better.

2. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    ESPN actually shows a "decent" amount of soccer highlights compared to what it used to.

3. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    I agree. I'm so glad I have Fox sports World.

4. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but the most highlights i have seen are on Sun morning when they have 2 hours of sportscenter. This is world class soccer; why not show it to US sports fans and let them know whats going on out there.

5. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    ESPN = Every Soccer Players Nemesis

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Seriously, how on earth did ESPN, the biggest threat to the growth of soccer in this country, get the rights to show the World Cup and MLS when all those soccer loving networks were ready to drop billions and billions of dollars.....

Oh wait. I just realized I'm not stupid.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Some people really, really, really, really...

...really, really, really need to get a life.

8. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Re: Re: ESPN anti soccer network

yeah like it is really going to hurt the greedy money loving Man U not having espn show highlights.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I vote to set up an official ESPN sucks thread so it's easier to ignore this drivel until something really terrible happens

... like they pre-empt the first half of a soccer game to finish the live bowling tournament that ran long.

Well I'm serious about the first thing there anyway.

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just showed some highlights on SC. Didn't mention the attendence.
    One of tim's saves made "Plays of the Day".

11. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Was the attendance a record? The women's world cup match there was pretty high too. Well, bravo to the stadium folk.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's very important that ESPN show highlights of an exhibition game between two teams who might never come back to America again.

Because we all know the best way to build a soccer culture is through games that don't matter with exorbitant ticket prices for players we may never see again.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Some will be glad to see that you're abandoning your previous untenable position which was based solely on logic and common sense. Of course, they will also be the ones who couldn't find sarcasm if it bit them in the ass.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet they would have showed highlights if Morganna the Kissing Bandit had run out there and gave Tim Howard a kiss; even better Luke Chadwick!

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    What a relief! Does this mean soccer isn't dead?

17. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    ESPN sucks a big one.

I think they didn't show the game US-Cuba or US-Brazil.
    But instead, they show
    - Poker
    - Fishing
    - Pool
    - Cheerleading (I watch it, but that's not the point)

But the best $@$# that they've done was to show the beach volleyball finals for the second time in which US team 1 beat US team 2 (olympic games) instead of showing the soccer final.

18. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    sadly, i think that is the point.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he said, Rod Van however you spell his last name instead of Ruud.

I think we better find that dude's e-mail ...

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Let me explain to you how things work in the grown up world. You see, when ESPN wants to show soccer, Mr. ESPN can't just say "Abracadabra!" and expect soccer to show up on your TV screen.
    No, Mr. ESPN has to buy the broadcast rights for the Gold Cup. And the rights aren't cheap. Even more than your one month allowance!
    And Mr. ESPN will lose a lot of money if a lot of people don't watch the Gold Cup. Well, it doesn't help that Mr. Galavision already bought the Spanish language rights for the tournament, meaning Spanish speaking folks who comprise a huge chunk of the viewership won't be watching it on ESPN.
    And because Mr. ESPN doesn't like to lose a lot of money, he buys rights for programs that either cost very little, get a big audience, or both.
    Which alternate universe are you from? In this universe, ESPN has never shown the Olympic games.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They did. Get your facts straight or don't talk.

22. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Poker draws about 10 times the audience compared to a typical MLS match, as at least 3 times the rating compared to a typical match involving the US Men's National Team that is NOT part of the World Cup.

Cheerleading and Pool both get on ESPN because on because ESPN gets paid by the producers of those shows to put them on. They are infomercials.

ESPN owns the BASS fishing tour, which provides a dirt cheap source of programming. Even fishing shows get better ratings than MLS.

23. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    If they never talk about soccer, of course nobody is going to watch it.

Just look at the "tour de France". After all the crap that politicians talked about France, I would have never thought that ESPN would show anything that had to do with it.

But, since Lance Armstrong was winning, ESPN showed clips of the race over and over.

Do you really think that americans give a damn about a bycicle race in France? Of course, not.

If ESPN starting showing highlights of MLS and the US national team, YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT PEOPLE WOULDN'T BECOME INTERESTED IN SOCCER.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

What, are you on crack? Stop talking now.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    They do show MLS and USNT highlights.

You still haven't answered my question - which alternate universe are you from?