Eski Sr: "I bet the MetroStars are wishing they had traded for him now"

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 17, 2004.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Andranik Eskandarian smiled a coy smile as he considered how much the Metros must be regretting their decision not to trade up to select his son.

"I bet the MetroStars are wishing they had traded for him now," Andranik said in the D.C. locker room after Sunday's game. "I still don't understand that one but look at (Alecko) now. He's a champion."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MTQ0NTUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Sounds a bit unfair. If I recall, DC United was asking for a lot to move up in the 2003 draft, similar to what the Crew were asking to obtain Szetela.

Other juicy tidbits:

1) Another reason Metros also leaving Walker uprotected is because he was not "vocal" enough and did a poor job of organizing the defense.

2) Metros quietly shopping Eddie Pope (no surprise) for a "less expensive defensive leader".

After the DC United playoff loss, we kept hearing from the team that they don't need to make that many changes, but with rumors of Razov coming aboard, possibly losing guys like Walker, Vaca and Brenes in the expansion draft and perhaps dealing Pope, it's apparent that this is going to be more than a little "tweaking" in terms of the roster.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the youthful core - Guevara, Gaven, Woly, Gilberto, Rico, Parke, Magee, is going nowhere. THis is a tweaking - dropping some of our aged non leadership for aged leaders. guys with fire in their belly. It's the one thing Metro has been missing. Bradley has the base talent, now he's going to try to add the "winning mentality" to send them to a championship.

edit : it seems a lot of people are taking shots at Metro nowadays.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Not surprised one bit about Pope. He may be a good "locker room leader" but he'll never be a field general like Agoos, Nelsen, etc.

Sachin

4. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Well, someone tell Esky's Pa, that if Moreno hadn't played the consumate game of possum all while dreaming of going south on I-95, a fair and equitable offseason move would have been:

Disappointing '03 Esky, homesick for NJ
    for
    Disappointing '03 Jaime, homesick for DC

Instead, we got absolutely raped. There is only an already shipped out 1st round draft pick in exchange for Moreno, now a top 3 MVP candidate. Moreno could have come clean with Bob and maybe this deal could have been done when hopes for all considered were more about where their hearts were rather than who's upside was greater. Hindsight surely makes fans of the original MLS eurofake namesakes laugh themselves silly, but in Jan of '04 this would have been a very doable deal. Amid the celebration of all things Adu, it would have caused nary a stir.

Our biggest problem is having players who bleed Red and Black Metro blood. Esky and Szetela WANTED to be Metros, and DREAMED of playing for kith and kin in The Swamp. For ME, these are the TWO most saddening things about the Bob Bradley era so far. I hope the lesson Metro learn from this is that we need to get Danny home ASA fvckin P! Better that than having to stare blankly through the TV looking glass at another NJ homeboy blasting away in the MLS Cup wearing enemy colors.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Dead in the water makes a very easy target.

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    That was the year we trade Brad Davis to get Magee right (the number 4 pick). Magee has been fine for us (certainly had a better rookie season than Alecko) but he's not as good as people make him out to be. If Davis could have gotten us Alecko...bad deal. I doubt it could have though.

As for his father making that comment, relax buddy. I would have loved to have seen how well DC would have been if Jaime didn't have the season he had. But DC would have been good with Hudson in his two seasons there if they had a dynamic striker on the team. They didn't, and they floundered. It's not like the team has radically shifted in terms of personell or something like that (Hudson was trying to get Gomez but didn't have the funds...Convey leaving results in... Gomez).

I also don't think it's the smartest move to let go of Walker. I actually think its quite dumb.

7. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    On second thought, maybe we would have had to give up something else, but a least a Jaime heart-to-heart with Bob about his future could have started this ball rolling. Isn't it the least he owed the man who kept him from floating off the MLS radar in '03.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like they don't deserve it.

9. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999

The Eagle Action board kinda slow today?

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. Why?

Things on that board today (in no order):
    ACC fans patting us on the back for killing WVU in their house
    New Orleans
    Phoenix
    Sugar
    Tostitos
    Syracuse AD stepping down
    Paul Pasqualoni's inevitable demise
    Temple
    ND getting BCS money

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what surprises me is that Agoos is unprotected for the exp draft

12. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting in 5th place in Hockey East...

13. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999

[insert Metrofanatic handjob smiley here]

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't want an answer, don't ask the question. Simple.

15. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    rhetorical question

n : a statement that is formulated as a question but that is not supposed to be answered; "he liked to make his points with rhetorical questions"

yawn

\Yawn\ (y[add]n), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Yawned; p. pr. & vb. n. Yawning.] 1. To open the mouth involuntarily through drowsiness, dullness, or fatigue; to gape; to oscitate. ``The lazy, yawning drone.'' --Shak.

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Well, a team can only protect so many players.

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. That's the exact thing I do when I receive long-winded emails in my hotmail account. Especially one dated November 5th.

Go figure.

18. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    dour

\Dour\, a. [Cf. F. dur, L. durus.]

A dour wife, a sour old carlin. --C. Reade.

adj 1: showing a brooding ill humor; "a dark scowl"; "the proverbially dour New England Puritan"; "a glum, hopeless shrug"; "he sat in moody silence"; "a morose and unsociable manner" [syn: dark, glowering, glum, moody, morose, saturnine, sour, sullen]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

19. Kareem Soda

Kareem Soda New Member

If the Metro had traded for him, he would have by now torn his hamstring twice, blown out an ACL, been caught with a transvestite prostitute, and addicted to horse. It's the curse of Caricola! Maybe in another 83 years we'll win some hardware!