Erik Soler new RBNY GM/Sporting Director

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jamison, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    courtesy of blue note and others:

He will take over for Agoos in terms of player personnel selection, so, every team in the league just lost THAT gravy train.

1 person likes this.
  2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he couldn't possibly be worse......

3. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is RB planning on notifying local NY press or are they expecting us to interpret smoke signals, sign language and read norwegian newspapers. What a bunch of dunces.

4. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who's his assistant?...Agoos

5. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABC's
    Nightline is running a special tonight. Stay tuned.

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Or maybe it isn't official yet?

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  8. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Hope he fails even more than agoos

Long Live DC United

9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I am sure that Agoos is so bad, that if a level of Fail worse than him existed, a black hole could be created and the earth could be consumed.

I really think that we will se better things next year!

10. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. BoilerSpecial

BoilerSpecial Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Kaneohe, HI
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Norwegian...Is this to scour the depths of Europe for talent? With NE finding talent in Africa and with other clubs going to central/south America for their talent, I would think NY would follow suit.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You seem to forget that your not the only one scouting Africa and central/south America for talent. The best are going to the big leagues in Europe, the few they miss and the 2nd best are going to the smaller leagues of Europe end then MLS can hope to find a few leftovers... Why would you think that this Norwegian knows less about Africa and central/south America than any other sporting director would do ?.... Ther are plenty of players from Africa and central/south America playing in Scandinavia. Besides he knows the Scandinavian market better than most, which I'm sure could come in handy.

13. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    no they're going to send a bunch of interns with bull horns and jerseys that say Soler 10 on them. then they will walk slowly in the tristate area and expect pedestrians to fillin the blanks. unfortunately the blanks will be filled with "WHAT THE F UCK?"

14. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But does this Viking know about the systems in the U.S.A.?? Single entity and the MLS Draft might drive him to this point
    [​IMG]

HUSK!

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Would help us tie in the ever-lucrative Capital One Bank sponsorship...:D

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the best reaction. At least it isn't an old, out of touch, good ol' boys network hire.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Nor a blatant, "We're New York! We need somebody famous!1!1!" hire.

18. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, we already have a Chase sponsorship. I don't think they'd be too happy with that one.

19. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik Francisco Solér: "What is Salary Cap?"

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it since I very much dislike RBNY but they need to hit a home run with Soler. It's a must. A new stadium and a huge market. There's no reason the franchise shouldn't be successful. Soler has had dealings with MLS with the signings/transfers of Clarence Goodson and Hunter Freeman. So he has some understand of how the league works. It might be limited but it's something to work with.

21. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Erik was just nodding his head as RBNY went over the stipulations for composing a team in this league.

this is a stepping stone for the guy.

the only person he can turn to for advice on how MLS operates is Agoos.

recipe for disaster.

RBNY just doesn't get it.

money, money, money, money......

22. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One reaction I've never quite understood on BS is how people assume that, in spite of the fact that THEY understand how MLS works, a hire from outside the good ole boys network will never be able to figure it out. It's different from other leagues, but it's not exactly rocket science. If Soler cares about the job and puts in the appropriate time, he can do a fine job.

1 person likes this.
  23. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague
    I've always wondered this myself. Frankly, MLS rules aren't that different than rules in small/mid-sized league around the world. It's mostly just a question of terminology.

Salary cap - Every team in a comparable league (i.e. not Man City) has a salary cap. The only difference is that it is set by the Owner/Board, not the league. The idea that there is a firm limit on what you can spend on wages is hardly unique to MLS. MLS is only unique in that the wage budget is the same for all teams in the league.

Allocations - Every such team also has a limit for their transfer budget. There really isn't any difference in saying that you have $250,000 in allocations or saying that you have a $250,000 transfer budget. And choosing to use part of your transfer budget to raise the wage limit instead is also not unknown around the world.

As sporting director, I expect Soler will have three main roles:
    1. Work with the coaches and academy people to figure out which academy players to offer pro contracts
    2. Oversee the superdraft
    3. Scout and sign the right foreign players.

He will be lacking in point 2, but given that the superdraft is a complete crapshoot for experienced coaches/SDs (witness Nicol's three straight lousy drafts), I don't see this as a huge handicap. He might be lousy at 1 and 3, but it won't be because he lacks MLS experience. Given that he scouted and signed Freeman and Goodson at IK Start, I would assume he has some understanding of the level of play in the league.

I think it would be a different situation if he was coming from a big team. If in your previous position you could say "Well, my right back isn't good enough so I think I'll go spend 10 million to get a new one", then the adjustment to MLS would be a problem.

24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good point, but the evidence of history is against you.

Chivas US
    Toronto FC
    Ruud Gullit

Hence the skepticism.

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is because these people have spent their entire lives in the game working under the same rules more or less. They come here completely unable for the most part to adapt to they way MLS and american soccer operate.

The usually just frustrated and complain and it and why they can't do their job.

Carver, Rongen, Hudson, Gullit, Parreira, Osorio, Westerhoff, etc.

The only ones that have worked are those that played here and learned they rules and the american soccer culture then started head coaching careers. Nowak, Yallop, Nicol...arguably Johnston.

Soler is a GM not a coach but the principle is the same. Without prior knowledge or working in MLS / US Soccer scene he is going to be lost at sea for a while and learning on the job like Agoos did and is still doing. If he hires a foriegn coach with no ties here....its not hard to predict failure..its expected.