Eric Wynalda is a punk

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Badattitude, May 14, 2005.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Eric Wynalda rules.

2. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Waldo couldn't carry Ray Hudson's jockstrap.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That's more like it.

4. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    The commentators for the MISL Championship on ESPN2 were really good actually spoke about the soccer game and were excited about it. Stone and Wynalda are, well, not very good. Stone seems lost and Wynalda seems to cocky. my humble opinion.

5. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Lucky Mrs. Hudson!!!

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but you like Max Bretos so that kind of cancels out the intelligence of your post. :p

7. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Stop right there dude... To compare Wynalda to anyone who is doing PBP for the MISL championship is ridiculous. The MISL is a horrendous abuse of the word soccer.

Think about it... Wynalda is one of, if not the top American players retired from MLS. He doesn't just show up to stadiums on Saturday's to do color commentary. He is there several days prior to. Thus, he has to interview and attend training sessions for both teams leading up to the match from both teams.

With me?

THEN, he steps into the booth and performs his job. His job is to critique plays and players. He is not Dan Dierdorf from the NFL. He will not kiss #ss to to appease MLS players who TIVO games to remain "Buddy's" with them.

Eric Wynalda has a passion for US soccer. He wants to see our american players reach the pinnacle of the sport. If he appears critical to you so be it. He is a Hall of Famer whose whole life is dedicated to our country's success in the sport.

I hope he remains in his position until someone more passionate takes his place!

8. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither could I. The foul stench alone would probably knock me out from five paces.

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Wrong. Eric Wyanalda has a passion for himself, and several players of his liking. Who? Mullan, the whole Revs team, Landon, and certain other chosen ones. If you happen to wear a Metros jersey or have the last name Hankinson (wait...it wasn't the coach?) you are basically a piece of shti to this idiot.

as for the whole COMMENTary comment. That's inane, because he doesn't DO any commentary on the match. Most of the time him and his gay buddy Stone are waxing on and on about Dayak's alfalfa farm, how Heaps played basketball for Duke (so I guess that makes him a SOCCER player...right?), and other retarded comments that have NOTHING to do with the game at hand.

He is the absolute worst color commentator in sports. On ESPN, the only sport that had worst production values was the NHL, where Clement (another retard like Wynalda) would say NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. Melrose with his greasy hair, and that stupid laugh. Jesus, who could listen to those clowns. Well that same opinion holds true for MLS broadcasts on ESPN. They are the worst produced thing on ESPN. From the camera, to the info, to the half-time cheesey interviews, to the Radioshak minute ("the fastest minute in sports folks") everything about it sucks. BLOWS.

Can we get those English broadcastors from FSC who do EPL matches (no not bretos folks). At least those people take the game seriously. Eric and Stone don't. We have the blind leading the blind there. Stone is a lapdog, who says "folks" every four minutes. Wynalda, invariably at the 9 minute mark says some variation of "this is going to get pretty good."

And every now and then the are flat out wrong, like when Brandi asked Bob Bradley what the U-20s experience of Gaven and Ward brings to the Metros. Bob said it's the other way around, the Metros help the U-20s, and all of a sudden one of the major talking points that some idiot peddled to those two idiots held no water, yet they kept on using it.

Whoever says Hudson isn't better at commentating than these guys needs to get help.

10. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wah wah wah

wah wah wah

He's a color guy--he is PAID to state his opinions. How is he any different from Walton or Stephen A Smith or John Kruk or Tim McCarver? These guys are paid to say "that was a stupid play" or "that was a great decision". And I'm glad someone will.

He's not the best commentator in the world, but hell, we've done a lot worse.

11. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    So, Arisrules, Just a hunch here but, are you Greg Lalas by any chance?

12. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preach on Brother.

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

But he's freaking boring. His comments are divisive, not because they are extreme (which they def. aren't...), but because of the manner, style, and the pomoposity with which he states them.

Not only that, but these two bums, and I don't say that lightly, don't take MLS seriously. If a game is kind of boring, all of a sudden we go into 15 minute tangents about nothing. I understand these two love themselves, but that makes the league look amateurish. And until the league corrects that problem, I don't take MLS seriously.

I take the Metros seriously, with the super production values of MSG (camera work, pre-game show, half-time show), it's all about Metros, and NOTHING else. And that's the way it should be. On a NATIONAL broadcast, it's all about that team Wynalda wants to win. In last weeks match, it was the Revs. So every second we heard how incredible the Revs are, how unique their game is, and how much better they are than anybody else, yet in the match, because those two idiots are devoid from reality, the Revs were holding onto their undefeated record by the smallest of margins.

So there you go. This guy sucks, he doesn't take the league seriously. How anybody can actually listen to this prick blow hot air, is beyond me.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad that ESPN2 doesn't use a former coach like Dave Dir or Ray Hudson for its color guy rather than a former player like Wynalda.

The typical "insights" Wynalda adds to a broadcast -- "Great pass!", "He should have done better with that chance", "Just you wait, these last 5 minutes are going to be exciting" -- are the same type of thing you overhear in the stands from a guy trying to impress his date.

Former coaches, on the other hand, tend to be much better at articulating the strengths and weaknesses of the players, why plays did (or did not) succeed, etc, and one can actually learn a thing or two listening to them.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread needs an update.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Yeah, he's still a punk

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it really didn't.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, give the guy a break. It isn't easy to live with the fact that your wife was screwing John Harkes.

HailtotheKing and Dolemite repped this.
  19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we ever found out what he did to get himself fired from the Las Vegas Lights WHILE NO SOCCER WAS GOING ON BECAUSE OF A PANDEMIC?

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1288900754183540736 is not a valid tweet id

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda coaching a team in the Bronx? This could be a hoot.

22. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live about 20 minutes from Fordham U. (NAFC was supposed to use their field as home field) so I was stoked for them initially, the more I read about the owner and their operation though I can't help but get a SF Deltas like vibe. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not really enthusiastic about their chances.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda sure seems ready for that next level - coaching a discreet D3 soccer team.

24. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1295401254047354880 is not a valid tweet id

Hilarious. Why did he get the job in the first place?

sitruc, ElJefe, HailtotheKing and 2 others repped this.