Eric Wynalda is a punk

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Badattitude, May 14, 2005.

1. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    R-A-Y-H-U-D-S-O-N!!! = COLOR

waldo =black and white.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Waldo for the simple fact that he announces a game as if he's watching from the stands and not the booth. He does say stupid quite a bit but most of the time it's justified. He doesn't put anyone on a pedestal. He doesn't care who the superstar is, if he's playing badly he'll call him out. I like the fact he's got an opinion and is willing to share whether I agree or disagree. His no diffrent than Chrles Barkley sharing his controverstial opions on TNT.

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Wynalda is that the game has moved past him but not his ego. Things are quicker and he still sees it as if he was playing. He has some good analysis every now and then but overall is poor.

I'll take Wynalda more seriously when he has put the coaches "boots" on and actually runs a team. Until then he's just some guy who thinks he can play better than everyone else.

4. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    So, is Wynalda doing any coaching? It's been said on these boards that the U.S. doesn't have enough top professional coaches teaching promising kids the finer points of the game. It seems to me that Waldo would be perfect for the role. As a player he had a good career as a pro'. in Europe back when Europeans didn't think you guys could play the game, he played a starring role as the U.S. became a serious force on the international stage and was one of the pioneer stars of MLS. Couple this with his observational skills which he uses doing commentry and the fact that he seems like a perfectionist and it's a pretty impressive C.V. for a youth coach. Oh, and as he's likely a hero to American soccer playing youth they're likely to listen to him. Whaddaya reckon?

5. cusetown315

cusetown315 Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Hey, anything is better than ty keough. he was the worst.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously you haven't caught the play-by-play guy doing the last Chivas USA game.

7. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    According to your comment, the Soccer Hall of Fame is a joke too, because that joker Balboa, has just been inducted. Yea he's such a joke. He had 13 goals, the most by a defensive player for the USMNT. You know something pal, he's not a joke. You're opinion is a joke :mad: . I'm hear to say that Mr. Balboa is not only a great player, but a great person (I personally met & talked to him for around a 1/2 hour). End of story! :)

8. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    The most ignorant post I've ever read on this site. Anybody who has a career like Balboa's is not a joke. SDSU, the USMNT, MLS, Leon, and the rest of the world didn't think he was a joke either. He held the record for most caps until Cobi Jones beat him out. I don't see how you call that a joke. What's your greatest acheivement? Uncle Rick from Napolean Dynamite probably has more acheivements than you do.

9. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    waldo's fantastic, and what this league needs. we don't need rob stone league-lovers who refuse to call a spade a spade. waldo tells it like it is, and that's how it should be.

10. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think Harkes is the best US soccer color guy around. Seen him a couple of times on Direct Kick and he has done a very good job -- much better than in MLS wrap last year. Wynalda just annoys me but I at least like the fact he is willing to give opinions, even though I agree with many if not most of him. Cello, while a nice guy, just puts me to sleep.

11. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i suppose there's a place for whine-alda-type folk. my issue w/ him in particular is that he's ALL opinion... most of it negative. yes, he's a frank talker, but that doesn't mean it's how IT IS. the writing was on the wall w/ the famous pissing contest v. georgio chinaglia.

12. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dellacamera is probably my least favorite soccer announcer. Half the time he can't even tell who has the ball, and the other half he is saying brilliant things like "Metros clear."

13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a post like that, I take it you watch soccer about twice a year. I take it you didn't see him score one of the greatest goals in league history? Or the many times he played for the Nats? Why would Wynalda know the game any better than Balboa? They both played professionally and where good players in their own right. You sound a bit bias (and stupid) to me. I don't have much of a problem with Eric, but he does sometimes come off as an arrogant twit.

14. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    They always have JP do all the big time matches like the allstar game, mlscup, first game of the season; obviously they think he's a class above the rest, as do I. Why can't they have him do all the games he sounds the most professional and makes MLS seem like an important league when he calls a game. Why can't they get him to do more games?

15. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what did Balboa do to get this love??? He played his position by "clearing" the ball nearly every time it got near him... he played at a time when all we could do as a National Team was dig a trench about 25 yards from goal and try to keep teams from scoring... the only thing he ever did was knock the ball forward or out of bounds to relieve pressure... and that's because he couldn't play himself out of a paper bag... if the measure of a player's ability is a terrific goal in MLS and a great near-miss in the World Cup, then i guess we have a long way to go before we can consider ourselves a true soccer nation... why to point to "caps" as the measurement, particularly when the National Team scheduled friendlies every other week against Bermuda, Cuba, St. Ignatius High School, Minnesota Tech and call them "caps"... why point 12 goals on the National Team as a defender... was he always a defender?... i guess being tall and athletic makes you a soccer player...

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the annual "let's get rid of these new announcers because they suck" fest at Big Soccer. So who gets thrown under the bus next year?

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is using the word stupid considered unprofessional. Would you rather he use the term "good-decision challenged" or "intelligence-impaired"?

God forbid someone in a TV booth actually have an opinion and state it. All people seem to do is bitch about FSC and homer broadcasters and then when some one calls a dumb play "stupid" we complain about that too. It was a STUPID play.

I think Eric is great.

His job as color is to add value to the broadcast. He obviously does that. His comments can be blunt - but so what? I would much rather have someone call a stupid play a stupid play than a nice try.

18. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    Christian Miles sucks!

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suspicions are confirmed, now I know you are an idiot. The concept of defending is completely lost on you. There is more to a good team than a striker, thats why their are 11 players on a team. I guess you are just one of those fair weather fans that have no true understanding of the sport and only gets interested when goals are scored. Balboa is crap because he scored goals and made numerous appearances for our national team? By your measurement of a great player, people like Beckenbauer, Moore, and Nesta are all crap then? Offence sells tickets, but defense wins championships. You don't recognize class football when you see it. Either educate yourself about the beautiful game or go watch NASCAR.

20. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Balboa was far from a joke as a player. Don't judge him on the last years of his playing career. I do not enjoy his commentary as much as Eric's however.

Eric says it out loud. Right or wrong at least he brings some passion.

21. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Waldo. He's a breath of fresh air compared to most other soccer commentators out there. He is a color COMMENTator! get it? He is paid to offer his comments, analysis, and opinion. He is NOT, I repeat, NOT a play-by-play guy. ok? JP Dellacamera is a play-by-play guy. He is not to be compared to Waldo. The two fill different roles.

I'm a fan of Hopkins and Bretos as well. Why? because they obviously love the game, are knowledgeable, and they have boatloads o' fun. Their enthusiasm is infectious. That's what soccer telecasts need in this country: guys like the FSC crew and Ray Hudson, who make watching the game with the sound on exciting.

Now, Christian Miles, Roy Wegerle, Edwards, Keough... they need to take a seat on the couch and learn from the pros, remote in hand.

22. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you even read the post??? i criticize Balboa because of the way he defended... he was horrible with the ball... but because we HAD TO bunker in those days, he got an awful lot of opportunities to wack a ball forward (or out of bounds) and people thought "what a great play"... that does not a player make... i recognize class soccer... i've lived in it for most of my life... and the fact that you dare put Nesta, Beckenbauer, and Moore in the same post as Balboa is an embarassment... those guys could play soccer... Balboa couldn't...

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did read your post. Did you read mine??? Are we even talking about the same player? Balboa was a composed defender that actually was quite good at distributing the ball and he had a knack for joining the attack. He is still one of the best defenders the USA has had. I'm simply dumbstruck by the fact you seen to ignore everything he has accomplished in his carrier (Not to mention its obvious you didn't watch him play very much).

"we HAD TO bunker in those days," Indeed, why don't you mention the stellar offence Wynalda was a part of, I'd hardly call that a power house...So why did put Eric Wynalda on such a lofty perch? Is he really sooooooooo much better than Celo was? I think they are in a similar league of ability. It is just as easy to pick at Wynalda's play as it is Balboa's.

The fact that I "dare" put Nesta, Beckenbauer, and Moore in the argument was to demonstrate the flaw in you reasoning. No sh!t, they are all much better players than Balboa, but with your perception, Ronaldo would be far and away better. Read between the lines Hawking.

I seriously don't think you have much of an idea about what you are talking about. The fact that you show little appreciation for a good defender proves it. That is why I accused you of not recognizing class soccer.

24. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. I really like wynalda. I think he is one of the best american soccer commentators we have.

25. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what you dont realize is that most Bigsoccer posters dont like to hear anyones opinion but their own. Have you ever tried to give an opionin on here. Most posters dont like it much which kinda defeats the purpose of a message board.