Eric Quill waived by FC Dallas :: DC Implications?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU, Apr 29, 2005.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    mlsnet

Eric Quill, veteran left-winger, was waived by Dallas. I don't think this move was driven by Quill's lack of quality. I'm guessing he requested his release because Dallas simply isn't using a system that utilizes his skills...much like the Glen trade.

I realize DC's greatest need is for defensive help, but I'd love to see United pick him up. I think he'd be a vast improvement over glacier-slow Steve Guppy or useless Nick Van Sicklen. Wouldn't it be nice to have a moderately priced veteran out there with pace, crossing ability, and solid defense? Then again, we may not be able to get him. Chivas and RSL would be insane not to snap him up.

2. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Picking up another midfielder would certify that the DC FO is insane

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

4. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Then why are you interested in Eric Quill?

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He was waived because FCD needed the cap space. Glenn was traded for the same reason.

7. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Quill has been injured..he's not very good, Gros/Kovalenko are better options at left wing.

8. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quill plays anything but solid defense. Last year it seemed like I would spend almost the entire game yelling at him to get back on defense. Quill getting released was long overdue. But hey if you guys want him go for it.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Van Sicklen is still quite an unknown quality. Judging him based on his Pumas performance (when the whole team played like crap) is patently unfair. He has been playing in the reserves and in the last match showed that he could develop into a contributor this season.

Quill would add nothing to DC that the team doesn't already have. Now if he were say an experienced central defender with experience in a 3-5-2 and the ability to organize a team, then I'd say go get him!!! :)

Edited: Isn't it one of the signs of the appocalypse when FC Dallas fans come over here and agree with us? :D

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Sicklen looks to develop into a solid player. Everyone looked out of sorts in Mexico. Nick is showing all the signs you look for in a young player in the reserve matches.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Hell, Chung is being shopped by Colorado. Why don't we go after him?

:rolleyes:

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I see you're being factious but I'd love to get Chungy. He'd fill Stewart's shoes quite nicely. Give Chung a nicely defined wing role on the team as opposed to the amorphous a-mid/wing/everything role he has with the Rapids. He's reads the game quite well and he'd provide width to our attack. Teams would have to respect his outside shot.

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd love it too if we didn't already have Guppy. I think Chung is much more dynamic than Guppy and would be a better offensive fit, but we can't afford to have both of them at the same time, and we would have to find a way to get rid of Guppy first.

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Excellent post!

15. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Why not just cut Guppy? Honestly people, he sucks. I'm aware of Eric Quill's limitations; he's just better than the useless brother of Chicago's useless new GM.

16. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    If we cut Guppy, be better bring in some "D".

Whenther ot not Quill id Better tha Guppy, I can't see how or why DCU wouyld want to bring in anyone else into our already crowded midfileld.

Heck, I'd be glad to trade a midfielder or two and bring in another Nelson type defender. Some one like that saves you two or three goals a game and for DCU right now, that could be all the difference.

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    If Quill comes in to save the season, it's already been lost.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Eric Quill morph into a defender? If not, why even consider this?

Christ on a bike.

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    lol

Sometimes not using photoshop says it all.

20. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Clearing space for the acquistion of Kovalenko maybe???

21. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah real usesless. He's created on what, two? three? goals in his short tenure with DC United. Guppy is one of the few bright spots on the team right now, you guys are nuts.

22. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Kovalenko and Ronnie O'Brien on the same team? Trully a sign of the apocalypse.

23. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guppy is much, much better than Quill.

And FCD could've cut other people if they just wanted cap space. He was one of the weakest links on FCD.
    Glen was a totally different situation - SI riding the bench, who would be gone for WCQs, just like Ruiz and EJ. FCD needed someone who wouldn't also be gone, hence getting Mina.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    No, to make space for Mina.

25. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    As far as Quill, I've read it was a combination of needing the roster spot and the cap space. He was the weakest link (already injured and low on the depth chart), so it made sense to waive him.

Glenn became redundant once Mina was acquired. Mina has more talent, won't get the call-ups, and can fill in for EJ or Ruiz or play beside both. Either way, trading Glen freed up some more cap, which was the major hindrance in acquiring Mina.