Eric Denton and Kelly Gray waived

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by guamster, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Add up all of the moves, and we have cleared substantial space.

Out:
    Somma - $37.5K
    Garcia - $198.8K
    Weaver - $73.3K
    Denton - $56K
    Gray - $46.3K

We've had half a season of pay(412.5K/2), so as a ball park that is 206K.

In:
    Ribeiro - Unknown
    Glen - Unknown
    Wondlowski -$34.7

Here's where our exact numbers get confusing.

1. I don't imagine we pay Ribeiro much, but Glen must be making more than minimum. So take half of whatever these guys make and deduct it from the 206K.

2. Of course we were never at the salary cap, and don't actually know exactly what it is, so add back any wiggle room we originally had.

3. We may also have allocation cash that can be used to buy down the first year of a signing's contract against the salary cap. Anyone know how this works with the arbitrary $400k against the cap for a DP? So. . .

Looking at this picture it does seem reasonable to me that we have room to sign a DP, or could be close enough that another move might bring us into position. Hope this helps Falvo.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Half a season of pay(412.5K/2), so as a ball park that is 206K.

Interesting....

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice math, and thank you! I should have done that but was too lazy.

So this allows us to sign either one (1) DP or perhaps two (2) guys worth about $200K annually each. OR, we could split the approximately $206K between three players (all half price) and get one dude at about $200K and two at about $100K.

The thing is, I think we need to sign at least two, maybe three guys. I am thinking one attacking midfielder, one defensive midfielder, and one central defender (because Jason keeps getting hurt and Pitch is a card magnet).

So unless we have some allocation money lying about, we might not have enough cash to sign three serious players. And hey, we could have a nice chunk of allocation money of which I am not aware.

I don't think one player is going to be enough. Let's say in a wild fantasy that we sign Zinha as a DP. He comes to SJ and is great! But he's only one dude. Who plays d-mid behind him? McD? Corrales? Is one guy enough to pull this team out of the gutter?

Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic. Perhaps I am just too bitter and negative. We'll have to see what happens in the next three weeks or so.

go quakes :(

- Mark

4. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Mark, first I genuinely hope your rabbit feels better. That said, I understand your point re: problems lie with starters, but I can back sending secondary players on waiver.

I thought Eric D was a serviceable defender but did not add much in other parts of the game-- I thought he made more of an effort there this year, and suspect he felt he had to in order to stay around. And I thought Kelly G was OK substitute, not great but could cover in D-Mid or CB esp if you had to rest a starter the last 10-min of a game.

So, we'll have to see what the management does with roster spots and cap rooms. With the salary cap juggled can they go back to Ronnie O'Brien? Any guesses on a DP?

My own DP guess, and its only a guess, it the Brazilina Ze Roberto who is leaving Bayern Munich because they'll only offer him a one year contract. I'm probably wrong, I don't have anything specific, but we need a good midfield on Ze Roberto is solid although aging.

PS: On the bright side, we lose no one to the USMNT for the Gold Cup and a few MLS teams are really getting hit. So maybe that'll get us a few more points :cool:

5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing is cool. We have these roster spots and not enough rumors to chew on, so guessing is a decent pastime for a weekend we don't play.

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't think they would go DP midseason. I think they're thinking in terms of 2 players. And this is where it gets difficult. They presumably have limited room under the cap to sign two players, and so you have to somehow get a couple of guys who are really good "value" in order for them to be difference makers.

We're kind of guessing here, but say they have $100k left to sign two players for the last half of the season. What kind of player is going to come here to play for 50k for the remainder of the season? If you're a "need a gig" guy like Ribeiro or maybe even Glenn, sure. And Glenn may turn out to be a pretty good value. Ribeiro, maybe not.

I just think people need to be realistic about the anticipated additions. They are not going to be able to sign a Hucks or even Lima type of guy, I don't think.

As for someone like Ze Roberto as DP, remember that the FO's criteria for DP are 1) impact player on the field, and 2) impact player off the field in terms of being a draw. I don't think Ze Roberto would be a draw. It will probably have to be a Mexican player.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, the Quakes have better starters than these now, but what happens when (and on this team it's when, not if) the starters get injured? The one time Pitch played outside defense he cost the Quakes a game, and I will cry if the team ends up putting a guy making more than salary cap back there. For example, Ribeiro isn't that great, but he's necessary just because the team needed a body for that position in times like the last few weeks. The team is now short of bodies for defense. San Jose has 6 guys with a "D" by their names, and one is out for months and another is hobbled. What it needs, and what it had but has no longer, is cheap backups.

8. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    You'd have to expect that Glen's making at least what they were paying Weaver, something in the $70-100k range. Ribeiro is probably making the minimum, $33k or so. So let's say that Wondo, Glen and Ribeiro are making $140-170k per year, for simplicity let's say $150k. That means that all that's freed up from the moves is $206k - $75k or $131k for half a year.

But that assumes that Toronto took on all of Garcia's salary; as was noted at the time, Doyle's quotes made it sound like San Jose still had to eat some of his salary. How much - I don't know, I think it's reasonable to think that Toronto and SJ split it 50/50. So there's another $50k or so ($198k for the year means about $100k for the second half of the year, so if SJ is responsible for half of it that means they still would pay $50k).

So, the amount free to use to sign players is probably closer to $75-85k, not $200k.

The only way San Jose is going to sign any high salary players is if they have allocations to use or are under the salary cap already.

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they'd consider it. 18 months contract can be a good choice for a player nearing the end of their career.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the good wishes about the rabbit. Sadly, he was not going to recover, so we had to put him down. :( He was a very sweet little guy.

So let me get this right. You thought that Denton and Kelly were OK as bench players. So does this mean that you will be happier with Corrales and Elliott as bench players? Because we need to replace them as starters. So we're going to pay Ramiro $200K to sit the bench and get only limited minutes? You think that's good?

And we're going to sign who with not very much money? See below my friend.

As for DP, I want an attacking midfielder from a top flight club in Central America. And I want a young guy, 24 to 26. I want someone who's going to be a force in our league for years to come. (Or, someone we will get a huge allocation for should he move on to Europe.)

This has pretty much been my argument right along. We do not have enough cap space to sign any serious players. We needed to ditch Ramiro's salary for that. We could maybe put Cochrane on season ending IR, but that's hardly credible with him reportedly ready to return to the pitch in a few weeks.

Oh wait! We need um, ... to play McD on defense!! Who ought to be playing d-mid for us instead. We could play Jamil Roberts, except that he appears to have a permanent room in Frank's doghouse.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

Even if we had $200K, would it not be better to have $400K to play with? I mean, duh!? We need to sign some serious guys. We need to sign some players that everyone in the league says: "Wow, they are going to get better in a hurry." Instead, we're going to sign some players that will make our fans, our dedicated loyal supporters, reporters, enemy fans, opposing players and coaches all say: "You're freaking kidding me right?! You'd have been better off keeping Kelly and Eric."

Let's say you're right! (And I fear that you are.) Let's say that we have <gulp> $85K to sign new players. We are only on the hook for half of their annual salaries, so we could actually sign two guys for $85K, that is, two players of Simon Elliott's calibre, reputation and such. We won't be getting the second coming of Mauricio Solis for $85K. And for the record, I think we need a player much better than Mauricio Solis at his best. And we need two of them, plus a decent central defender.

I don't think we have the cap space to sign a DP. We'd need $200K, and as sportsfan-quakes pointed out above, we probably don't have that much.

Some of you keep thinking that I am stressed that we cut Kelly and Eric because I like our bench guys so much. That's not the case. I am stressed because we did not cut Ramiro and Elliott. I wanted all of that cap space to sign new players. Also, I think that Ramiro and Elliott are flat dead weight. As for Eric and Kelly, I think they are nearly irrelevant. They are backups. Every team needs some inexpensive backups and Eric and Kelly are OK in that role. The problem with cutting them is that we did not save enough cash to sign the big time players that we need.

go quakes! :(

- Mark

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone know what Eric Denton and Kelly Gray's reaction was after they were waived?

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I wonder if Falvo could get us a job at Tony and Alba's?"

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote: "WTF?"

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could....its really no big deal, especially when you start eating the profits....;)

Try Starbucks! ....;)

15. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The real money's in selling horns at games, anyway":rolleyes:

16. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Let's go even beyond that, and guess ... Freddy Adu? I know, the transfer fee back would be more than we (MLS) could stomach, but isn't wha the Quakesx need is an attacking C-Mid who can help with BOTH possessing AND creating?

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im actually kind of sad to see both players go, but that said, neither was good enough.

When I reviewed the goals that were scored against us this year, Gray was responsible for a frightening number of them.

And I thought before the year that Denton wasnt good enough at outside back.

As for depth, Corrales played LB in Norway, and LB seems the best way to try and get Convey and Huckerby on the field. And I cant see putting Gray anywhere other then 4th on the CD depth chart. And Hernandez could still play RB for us, as could McDonald I bet. So add a CD and a CM to the roster and I think you actually have all the depth you need on the back line, just by sliding a few of our versatile players around.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive never seen anything to indicate that Freddy Adu would make a good central midfielder. He is too passive on the ball, and I think would not do enough to offer options to his teamates both offensively and defensively.

Always struck me as more a LM-FW type in his personality.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gee wiz, that was such a stupid question to ask? Ok whatever....:rolleyes:

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005