EPL to air on Sirius Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by DAGSports, Nov 30, 2004.

1. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Announced yesterday, a three year contract. Coverage actually began this past weekend.
    http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte.../CachedPage&c=PresReleAsset&cid=1101254443667

And the schedule:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1100707191236

At least until the end of NFL season, it will be a Saturday doubleheader.

This is good news for soccer fans. Makes sense too as soccer radiocasts arguably belong on premium radio, since selling ads would be almost impossible.

2. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    I just heard the announcement this morning.

Great news, especially since FiveLive can't stream those matches.
    Now I won't feel so bad about running errands, driving to youth matches, or doing yard work weekend mornings. I wonder if we'll get midweek matches & FA Cup matches as well?

Will these be BBC broadcasts or a special crew for international syndication?

Glad it's Sirius. Guess there must have been enough of us who wrote Sirius asking for these broadcasts after all. Way to go Sirius.

3. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    ********, too bad I have XM.

4. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    The feed is from TWI who administer the global radio rights for the Premiership.

Actually, we supplied this same package to Sirius and they've had the prem for the last two years.

What's different this year is that the TWI package now includes 2 matches per day as opposed to just one, which now makes it different from the package aired on BBC World Service and the offereing over the last 2 years.

Sirius also airs World Soccer Weekly.

Sirius is clearly the best choice for soccer fans.

5. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    great, now I have to go broke buying my satellite radio equipment. :D

6. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Damnit, I JUST got XM!

7. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Excellent. I do hope some of the matches are on Sundays after the NFL season ends. Otherwise, they will miss the really big matches. But still, this is terrific news for EPL fans.

8. YTFC

YTFC New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    I get Sirius Satellite Radio through Dish Network. Wonder if they'll be running the broadcasts through their Dish channels.

9. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    I been wondering how long it would take for the games to make it on radio over here. I'll add Sirius to my x-mas list...

10. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Dish Network has Sirius' commercial-free music channels right now and I know they are looking at adding other Sirius programming. Hopefully, one of those things will be the EPL commentaries.

11. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    That would be nice. If you have Sirius, do you have to order a special package to get the EPL matches or does it come regularly?

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great, another Christmas present.

On the schedule though, the games are all wrong. It says 11/27 was Chelsea/Everton but that game was back in the beginning of Nov.

13. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Hells Yes

Sirius has Howard Stern and EPL!

Get MLS, work on turning the NHL on again, and I will be in heaven.

14. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA

We're working on MLS.

Sirius won't be carrying FA Cup or Sunday matches - just the two matches every Saturday.

15. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I hear ya. I've been on XM for about 2 years and was really hoping they would do something like this. Instead they've gone more mainstream with college sports (ACC, Big 10, Pac 10) and Major League Baseball.

Guess its time to sell my XM Roady 2 on Ebay and move to Sirius!

(True story: I had the XM PCR receiver for a year so I could listen to XM at work. When I switched to the Roady 2 I sold the PCR on Ebay. I initially bought the receiver for $65. Sold it on Ebay for $258!)

16. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    This past Sunday I listened to the Newcastle/Everton game and the Liverpool/Arsenal game.

The big thing for me is that it is a three year contract. That way, I know that at the beginning of next season, the games should start.

I read somewhere that Sirius can broadcast the music channels through Dish Network (and stream them online) b/c they are proprietary. But, the other stations are not. I'm not sure if that will change or not. I sure hope so. It would partially negate my need to get a Sirius boom box.

17. DaJoker

DaJoker New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    For those that are interested in riding with the BigDog, but the expense of the equipment is a factor, how bout if you get it for FREE. Just agree to a one year commitment and you too can be listening to the EPL bright and early Saturday mornings.
    For all the information, see: http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15628

Happy holidays ;)

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's GREAT. Thanks so much!! Rep on the way!

19. Tmax

Tmax Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Vermont

Great googly-moogly.

Im getting a Sirius :)

20. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Today is Sunday and I am listening to Palace vs Charlton.Show host says Monday game on too

21. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not have a 24/7 soccer radio station on Sirius like they're doing with the NFL? Sirius has the NFL Sunday Drive, where you get all the Sunday games, plus they have a 24 hr. NFL channel. I think this would be a great idea.

22. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I don't think you can fill THAT much time...

23. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    Chuck what station were you listening to on Sunday?
    I didn't get Monday's match on either 122 or 127.

The lads on WSW just said only Saturday matches ... but who knows, maybe Sirius will give us some bonus Sunday matches.

24. WorldSoccerWeekly

WorldSoccerWeekly New Member

May 14, 2002
    Redondo Beach, CA

Could be the odd Sunday match, but it's more likely that Chuck was listening to the BBC World Service which also plays premiership matches on Sirius and I HAVE heard matches on Sunday on the World Service evry now and then.

It's the same TWI production that goes to both Sirius themselves and the BBC WS that is also broadcast on Sirius.

Nick

25. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    Thanks Nick.
    Looks like I'll have to put the World Service preset next to the station 127 preset just in case.

Nick, MLSinHD suggested a 24 hour football station similar to NFL Radio on Sirius. Does TWI produce enough radio programming to fill a portion of each day?

Are the American radio match rights (for Champions League, Mexican League, and others) too expensive for Sirius to obtain - an assortment of leagues to fill time?

It would be great if you, Steve & company could anchor a daily football news show and fill out the rest of the day with live match programming, your WSW full length shows, and Talk Sport's afternoon/evening lineup.

Sirius seems to be the ultimate niche radio programming provider so why not dedicate a station to the ultimate niche sport in the States? Wonder how many subscribers they could add?