EPL Round 4 - September 9, 2006 - Chelsea FC v. Charlton Athletic [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Sep 5, 2006.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3:00 PM GMT
    10:00 AM EDT

US TV: Live Setanta - SDD 8:45PM Setanta
    UK TV: ChelseaTV from Midnight on Sunday - Sky Extended Highlights
    CN TV: None

Chelsea FC 2-0-1, 6 PTS, 5th Place (-3)
    Charlton 1-0-2, 3 PTS, 15th Place (-6)

Tickets-On general sale to non-members, four per person. Only restricted view seats remaining, so personal callers at the box office only

Live on Big Blue

ChelseaFC.com

News on Soccernet

TEAMtalk-Chelsea

BBC-Chelsea

Latest Chelsea News From Google

Other Fixtures - US TV

Saturday, September 9, 2006

07:45 ET Everton v Liverpool Live Setanta
    10:00 ET Arsenal v Middlesbrough Live FSC
    10:00 ET Bolton v Watford
    10:00 ET Newcastle v Fulham SDD 3:30PM Setanta
    10:00 ET Portsmouth v Wigan
    10:00 ET Sheff Utd v Blackburn SDD 2:15PM FSC
    12:15 ET Man Utd v Tottenham Live FSC

Sunday, September 10, 2006

11:00 ET West Ham v Aston Villa Live FSC

Monday, September 11, 2006

15:00 ET Reading v Man City Live & SDD 8PM FSC

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    [​IMG]

I think Dr I was in this crowd...:D

3. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Keep it tight at the back and we will win. I hope we get an early goal and keep on pushing for an emphatic 3 or 4 nil win but I'm not optimistic on keeping a clean sheet.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i think this is a good game to catch MANU. THey will be playing the Spurs, who had a rather slow start and are probably looking to upset MANU. We should be able to beat Charlton at home and either catch MANU or get closer to them. We don't want to give them too much confidence. Also, i hope this fiasco with Gallas is not going to affect the players too much.

5. tptp

tptp New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Hoboken
    me thinks
    ...............cech...............
    boula.....ricky...jt.......a.cole
    ..............essien..............
    ........ballack...lampard.........
    sheva.......drogba........robben

6. babyfood

babyfood New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    - Bridge should start 1) because of his good form, 2) Ashley is too new to the team
    - Is Joey ready?

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bridge has probably been our best player thus far, think it would send a horrible message if Cole started, especially since he looked rusty and off form today and will have had only a day, if that, of practice with the team.

my guess;

Cech
    Cannibal-RC-Jt-Bridge
    ---------Ess------
    ---Ballack ---Lamp
    --Drog---------Robben
    ---------Sheva

SWP, Kalou, Cole A., Geremi, Carlo

Think Mak may gets a rest after a busy week unless Robben still hurt

And 3-1 to the good guys in a tougher than the score looks match, we will probably be a bit sluggish per usual after the internationals.

8. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well Joe is back in training with the squad while Robben is still training with one of the fitness coaches so Jow will be back before Robben.

I agree that Bridge should start ahead of the gooner boy

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think Cole will start - wishing he wouldn't is a bit counterproductive at this point, imo - he's better than Bridge. And I'd rather he started his first game at home - he might get a slightly nicer reception than he would on the road.
    I've no idea what our lineup will look like for this one, although I'm guessing that Claude will be rested with Bremen coming to town on Tuesday.

Oh, on a related note, it appears I have an extra ticket for this game.
    Downside: Its West Upper
    Upside: Its (obviously) face value +£1.50.
    Downside: Its next to my seat!

10. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    the team will be :cool:

cech
    boula
    bridge
    terry
    ricky
    essien
    ballack
    lampard
    drogba
    cole
    robben

obviously if cole and robben are out then sheva, kalou and sweepy come into the reckoning :cool:

11. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That may be true (Cole is a bit better athletically than Bridge), but for the sake of Bridges good form and his overall confidence, I think he should definitley start. Can you imagine what a huge blow it would be for him not to start, as he has been one of the best players on the pitch for the past 3 games? I think Ashley Cole will come on in the second half, though.

I would also like to see Lampard get a bit of a rest this game. Maybe Mikel John Obi should get his debut. That would be very interesting to see. But as we are still trying to catch up will Manutd, it looks doubtful. I'm sure he will get maybe 15-30 mins in the second half, though.

12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Now that it is not Blackburn away I would not mind Lamp getting a rest, but if Mak is rested after having a bit of an injury earlier this week as I expect, I doubt it, and not sure now would be a good time to play with his confidence with near all of England blaming him for everything from global warming and terrorism to Kylie's personel problems.

Would like to see Obi continue to get some time in the 2nd half but think it will be a while, absent injuries, before he realistically offers a challenge for a starting role, not diminishing his talent okocha1 but the 4 ahead of him ain't exactly slouches:D

Assuming A. Cole does not start, still think he won't if for no reason else than a bit of a statement from Jose, and besides on present form he is not playing as well as Bridge at the moment I do expect to see him to come on in the 2nd half to get a home welcome..

13. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree. Makelele will have a rest. As for Obi while he may not have the experience of the other four he possibly has the most natural talent. I wish we could hear more of the senior player views on the youngsters in the squad. Maybe that's all provided on CTV. Anyways, I don't think he will start, probably get his usual 15-20 minutes in the second half.

Ashley Cole for me is a better than Bridge only in terms of his athelticism and acceleration. Bridge for me is better technically on the ball and off the ball as well. I'm not sure about his man-marking skills, though, but I'm sure the CL games, especially those against Barca will test the mettle of our fullbacks, and may be the determining factor in who becomes first choice and who is second choice.

14. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    it's also live on Setanta (Ireland) over here :D

15. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    listen bub, as long as messi is occupying chelsea's left flank, cole will be there to take care of him, otherwise there'll be carnage :cool:

16. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    i hope this didn't sound rude okocha, i just mean that i don't fancy bridge's chances against messi, not if messi plays anything like he did at stamford bridge last season.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    good article about JT and Jose click

18. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Lobomojo is right on. Starting A. Cole would send exactly the wrong message to this team. We have so much depth, and so many good players, that the only way it can work is if players have to play their way into the team. If that means they have to start off getting 15 and 20 minutes at the end of games, so be it. If Bridge doesn't play well Saturday, let Cole start against Bremen. But as long as Bridge plays the way he has been, it would be a really bad idea to drop him from the team.

Ferreira----Carvalho----Terry-----Bridge
    -----Lampard----Essien---Ballack
    ------------------------------Robben (switching flanks when necessary)
    --------------Sheva----Drogba

This leaves us lacking width on the right, but it can become 4-3-3 really easily as well, with Robben joining the forwards and moving to the right flank, allowing Bridge to get forward down the left. This formation gives us astonishing flexibility. We can play long to Drogs and he can knock it on for Lamps, Ballack, or Shevchenko. Robben can burn them down the left in a 4-4-2, or down the right in a 4-3-3. We can also play pretty stuff through the middle with Lamps and Ballack. All the while, Essien is doing the work of three men and controlling the middle. I think this is our best formation when Makalele is not playing.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

i think Robben is still not fully fit, so maybe Cole will start instead.

20. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That was 2 years before my first game. I was 9 at the time though.

21. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I think Geremi should start in place of Ferreira, he will provide some width on the right.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Both Cole and Robben are out, so I suppose we'll see either Kalou or SWP get the start.
    Oh have Geremi and Ashley Cole on the wings being told to push up as often as possible. I just don't think Geremi is all that good at it.

23. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Geremi is primarily a wingback, he played at that position at Real Madrid and still does at international level. He is excellent at attacking and crossing the ball. Remember he was one of primary set-piece takers during Ranieri's tenure. He has improved on his defending, and was in very good form during the preseason games. In the second half of the preseason game against Celtic, I was very impressed by his and Bridges constant overlapping. It was brilliant. He is much better at attacking than Ferreira.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I know he's often played as a wingback and I agree he's a better attacker than Ferreira (duh) - I just don't think he's that good of an attacker period though. Its certainly a possibility, but I have a hard time seeing Jose play with two wingbacks. We shall see.

25. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well if Maka does not rest may be stuck seeing that ugly narrow 4 cm diamond again with Drogs and Sheva:eek: