EPL Round 3 - August 27, 2006 - Blackburn v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's why I see more of a rotation system being employed. If we play all four players above we are just too narrow. Fortunately we have three players who could play in more of a free role, Sheva, Cole and Robben - all at their best when the oppostion cannot man mark them.

So Maka, then two of the other three central players, two of the free role players (working hard and crossing over) and Drogba as a target man. Think two platoons of three with two of each platoon starting each game. Fresh and something different for the opposition that they can't gameplan for.

Obi and Kalou could be a fourth man in each platoon, each with a lesser role, this season at least.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    it will be interesting to see what the "final" line-up will be. I like the idea of changing it a bit for different matches, but at the same time, there should be a set of 11 players who play together for more than one game at a time, otherwise, it would be hard to gel.

3. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    My ideal lineup:

Boula--Gallas--Terry--Bridge
    ------------Makalele
    ------------Essien
    Cole--Ballack/Lamps--Robben
    ------------Sheva

With Maka and Essien back there, Ballack/Lamps should really be up there in the attack as the link-up man. If we're really desperate to attack, we can bring on Drogba for Maka or Essien.

I don't think we need the same 11 every match, but keep a core. I see three tiers in our players: the regulars, situational starters, and reserves.

The Regulars: Cech, Terry, Bridge, Makalele, Cole, and Sheva are currently our best players and should start every match. Lamps should be in there but his form is just not there yet. And Gallas should be in there too if it wasn't for his contract situation.

Situational Starters: The remaining 3 positions can be shared between Essien, Ballack, Robben, Drogba, Boula, Ferreira, and Carvalho.

Reserves: Kalou, SWP, Mikel, and Geremi shouldn't make the bench unless someone's injured. (Cudicini, of course, will be the backup goalie in all matches.)

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'ts not about clogging up the midfield though, it will be spread out perfectly because of the positioning of the players and the way they can be utilized within that framework. All players in that formation are ideal for their respective positions. Someone has to be dropped anyways, whether it be Essien, Sheva, Drogba, Ballack...my arguement is made for a lineup that would be most optimal with Ballack being in there-thus getting the most out of him.

I imagine the owner wants a player to play with such a salary. You can't say Essien is better either because he's played more...by that logic sure he's better but Ballack just arrived and he hasn't been played right yet.

5. Aranbarri

Aranbarri New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Bilbao
    I've seen Ballack in Bayern and in the German national team, teams which I am fan.
    Believe me, you must give him time to adapt, I've never seen such a complete midfielder(deffending and attacking) since Effenberg, he has the class of Lampard and with these two guys in the midfield not so much teams won't be defeated.

6. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    Ballack played at his best when he was still with Bayer Leverkusen. There he played next to Bastürk, and therefore I think that a Ballack/Lampard midfield not only will work, but will be great for Chelsea. The biggest problem in yesterdays game was the total lack of wingers, as already stated by many of you. All 4 (Ballack, Lampard, Essien, Makelele) preffered to play in a central position, and neither of them used the wings properly. But when this problem is solved I have no worries, that Ballack and Lampard will play great next to each other.

7. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I have to make this quick because i am at work but,
    my impression is we need more width, which will come with Robben and J. Cole being back in the line up. With their addition, bridge and ferriera become even more effective.

And DROGBA did NOT DIVE!!!!!!!!!! Oh he could have, i expected him to, but he sacked up and played like a bull. Gotta love it when "The Beast" is loose.

8. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My lord, the Ballack fans flocking here are worse than the Mikels and Portugals combined.

9. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    At least they seem to know what they're talking about. They're giving us good, solid arguments as to why he should play, unlike the fanboys you mentioned. I don't mind at all having these guys around as long as they continue to provoke intelligent discussion.

10. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    I'm soooooooooo sorry, I really thought that Chelsea fans would be interested to hear sth. about one of their new players.
    I'm soooooooooo dumb...
    [​IMG]

11. Aranbarri

Aranbarri New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Bilbao
    Oh sorry for being such an idiot fanboys and for boreing you with our comments about one of your new adquisitions.

[​IMG] X2

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

I think you guys will find that blackjack was not talking about you guys (Ze Germans) and Claudio was just having a laugh.

13. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    (What he said.)

14. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    I have no problem with jackblack, or his comment. I mean who could, look at him...
    [​IMG]

I just didn't get the humour in Claudio's post. But that has probably to do with my germaness...

15. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D :D :D

16. Aranbarri

Aranbarri New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Bilbao
    ops... :p
    [​IMG]

p.d:This gif is mithic.

17. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]
    Nothing can rival that:D

18. Aranbarri

Aranbarri New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Bilbao
  19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was exactly my agruement, for Ballack to return to his Leverkusen days, he needs a player like Lampard and Makalele behind him and in front of him like he had with Basturk and Ramelow. And the wingers playing would give Chelsea the neccessary depth, also two additional striking options from the flanks, creating even more room in midfield when they push up.

The only downside would be Essien not playing but then again, I think Essien can fill in that position just as well as Ballack in that formation.

20. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    good post.

chelsea have four great central midfielders and all four will get plenty of playing time.

don't forget makelele is getting on in years and essien can cover for him, plus injuries and suspensions will occur.

i fully expect essien to be a major player this season :cool: