EPL Round 3 - August 27, 2006 - Blackburn v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not ready from what evidence? And how he is he to get ready? Now is the time, like I said he has the skills and the confidence. Why play SWP who has no confidence and appears inable to gain it. Maybe he needs to go back to a smaller pond.

2. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How many "off" games can we allow at the sacrifice of points. Lamps has been off form for a while and Ferreira has as well. We have replacements and should use them

Kalou is not yet used to the pace of the prem, its better to introduce him gradually, like Arsene did with his former teammate Van Persie. SWP doesn't have confidence and he needs it or he will be completely useless to the team, and if injuries arise I'd much rather have a player capable of doing something, then one who is completey devoid of confidence. Look at Bridge, last season we had Del Horno and everyone was raving (a bit too much) about Del Horno's initial performances. They were good, but nothing compared to what Bridge has done in his first 2 games. Bridge is a confidence player and Mourinho did well to loan him out to get playing time. SWP has an opportunity to really get some games under his belt as Joe Cole is injured (remember Cole was in the same boat as SWP two season ago, and he got his opportunities to play when Robben was injured). If he regain his confidence and subsequently finds his form he will be dynamite for us. Kalou is a youngster with tons of talent, but IMO I would like to see him come of the bench in the first few games, especially when were up a goal or two. It would be a great situation to come into and he wouldn't have too much pressure.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people calling for Lampard to be benched, is he playing that poorly? No.

Ferreira is one thing, Super Frank another. But Im sure anyone can come in and capture everything he does for this team, I mean Mikel? Really? Come on...He isnt as good and doesnt have the dedication and spirit for the clubt hat Lamps does.Lampard set up Sheva's goal in the Shield, scored against Mancity and his usual long range effort to switch the field was the reason for the build up to the Drogba goal.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i think we need to win this game big to get the confidence up. A 1-0 win will not accomplish that. Yes, all it matters is the win, but confidence is important as well. We cannot concede any goals either. I believe that it's the team attitude and not as much the players playing badly is what making us look bad now. Once the attitude gets better, we shall win comfortably.

Sure looks like it might be a fun season to watch.

5. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What, the square pass? the play for the Man City game started with Carvahlo, went to Ferreira, to Lampard, to Sheva, back to Lampard, who switched the ball under no pressure mind to, Bridge (I could have switched that ball, it is a basic crossfield pass), who passed to Robben who played a wonderful through pass between the defenders back to Bridge who crossed and Drogba scored. Lampard neither started nor assisted that move, it was Robben brilliant pass and Bridges overlap that led to the goal, just like Essiens brilliant pass and Bridges overlapping run led to Sheva's goal. Lampard has been off form and if you believe he hasn't played bad, then thats worrying. The guy is Mr. Invisible, I have never seen him take control of the midfield, he just runs into the box like a striker, trying to get onto crosses intended for the strikers. He contributes little to the flow of play and doesn't dictate the tempo. He is not a playmaker, and can't thread through passes. Lamps is supposed to be the guy dictating the style we play as he is the main attacking central midfielder, he's supposed to play the role Kaka and Riquelme play for their clubs. Controlling the speed and flow of play, passing the ball on the ground and moving it quickly. He hasn't done this in a while. I think he has reached his max. He still scores goals, which is great but that isn't all he should be doing on the field. We have Barca again, now at SB in the 1st leg 2nd half, I saw a brilliant midfield display by Gudjohnsen, he took the midfield under control and really increased or intensity on the field, he dribbled past Deco and Motto, using his close control (Lamps can't do this) and was hitting quick passes on the ground. Lamps was anonymous and couldn't cope with the quality of play, and apart from a freekick and corner, he did nothing all match. If he regains his form of two seasons ago, I will be so happy as the team will be great.

I never said Mikel should replace him. Ballack can though, and is IMO opinion a better player overall. Mikel has much more natural talent than Lampard as does Ballack, and I fully expect Mikel to get a run out when he's fully fit. But replace Lamps, not yet, just like Kalou isn't ready to replace SWP. They're too youngster with great potential, who have been highly rated.

6. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have that feeling too. But I doubt it will happen. I hope no one gets injured.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Ballack is fit and proves himself up to the EPL challenge he can replace Lampard, he has done neither. Mikel can be 10 times naturally more giftend than Lampard, he still isnt anywhere near good enough to play in his place.

Lampard has been our leading scorer for 2 seasons and provides as much as he scores, calling for his benching is ridiculous, plain and simple.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the third formation you are calling for Mikel to replace Lampard, and in all of them Ballack(unfit and unproven to our club and league to do the same).

Kalou is already out performing SWp, age shouldnt be a factor, it wasnt for Robben.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We dominate a match miss a few good scoring chances but defensivly blunder for 10 minutes and now we need to change the whole team and dump Lamp:rolleyes:

First Mak is the best at his spot in the world and much better than Essien at that spot due to his still underappreciated:confused: distribution and control of the game's pace, and we dominated the first half and much of the second with him playing well despite coming off injury and it being the first match of his season and first with Sheva and Kalou,

Second yes Lamp missed a header and does not do tricks like the toothed one but his all around play, team play and positioning is why near every knowledgable player and manager rates him as one of the world's best, would kill to have him, why in part we dominated the first half, why we are back to back record breaking Champions, and why to be kind it would be insanely stupid to bench him.

Mak and Essien can't play togeather:confused: man we must have really sucked last year.

Though I would try someone diffent than Kalou Sunday, I think I will give him more than 1 away match to adjust to the League before I give up on him.

We screwed up and lost an away game we were dominating up north, it happens, in fact it happened much worse last year yet we did allright last year best I recall so please excuse me from the public floggings and panic in the streets.

10. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Other people are calling for Lamps replacement as well, just scroll through the pages. I said Mikel has more talent, but I never said he would replace Lampard. I'm just happy to have such a very promising young player in the squad. As for displays of his talent at Chelsea look at the 3 unbelievable passes he made during the Celtic game in the first half. He played all of 8 minutes against Man City and almost put Sheva through if not for a handball by Dunne. He is not a starter yet, though. That said, I think he will definitely get chances to prove himself Ballack is unproven yes, but I for one hope he finds his form and plays well, if he finds his form, he is a better player than Lampard in every aspect. The formations I listed, moreso the bottom one's are formations I would ideally like to see tried out. Realistically though, I don't think it will happen. You asked for an opinion on Kalou, I said he is very promising had some promising touches but I don't think he should get a starting berth in the team yet. Diarra has been promising and Mikel has been promising, but neither of them are starters yet. Kalou is not a pure winger, and he have no real width when he plays. I would though like to see him come on for Drogba maybe in the second half and see how he works with Sheva.

11. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Essien and Makelele can play together, but I think so much is taken away from Essien's game, I feel like he reigns it in too much and really doesn't play that all-action game. We had lots of possession in the 1st half, but to say we dominated Boro is a bit of an overstament. We came into the second half and just passed the ball aimlessly inviting Boro to attack us thinking we could nick a goal on the break, and we almost did? Why not go for the jugular and attack and try to put 2-3 more by them in the first half. Boro were demoralized after going down a goal because of there good start. After 2 good chances in the span of 5-10 minutes, we just seemed to stop and pass the ball between the defenders. Our attack was very narrow, and only Bridge was providing with on the left. We had the opportunity to really go for the jugular and we didn't and we deserved the result.

Lampard is a great midfielder, nobody is discounting that, but he is off form. That is obvious. He was invisible. How many times was he on the ball, apart from his header of the crossbar and lucky freekick that went through the wall what else did he do? Honestly please tell me, when has Lamps controlled a game in Europe?

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many people who understand what he means, and has done for this club.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now it's about Europe? When did the subject change. Bayern Munich, outplayed the man you think should replace him in the lineup.

14. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lamps controlled the midfield against Bayern Munich? Come on now, he scored two goals, yes, but thats it. So two years ago, he controlled a midfield in Europe? That's not very good, especially for a top midfielder. He has never dominated a midfield in Europe? So what if he played better than Ballack in one game, does that make him a better player? Not for me.

15. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We are in the here and now, we shouldn't be looking at past performances to judge a player, but on his present performances. Lamps has not been up to par at all. Even Benitez rests Gerrard and puts him on the bench from time to time. Why not Lampard?

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How many times is Lamp in position to press and disrupt the other team, to defend, to give the man on the ball an outlet, to reverse the attack, to distribute to where it is needed, to hit the perfect long pass that gives Drogs or a winger a chance to do something or not:rolleyes: , to defend on set pieces, to take dangerous set pieces, to be in the right spot to occupy and distract defenders to free others, to be the first to the ball, to supply leadership, toghness and passion etc.

At the moment we are talking about a needed win up north not Europe, but Bayern, Barca at home year before last, Monoco till the tinkerman screwed the match(s), Porto, PSG,and he was not the reason we lost to the scousers or barca.

My editorial was directed at the whole lot of posts but no one in particular so all should feel insulted not anyone in particular:D

Also I think Mak actually helps Essien to attack more without repurcussions like in the community shield, like Diarra did at Lyon, and Essien still has not shown all he can do on attack like he showed at Lyon

As you probably remember I am as high on Mikal as anybody, still believe in the long run he will be our best signing this summer, and a superstar but he is young and learning and right now we need a result, really a win, to kill the media frenzy, away against a very tough good well coached team so stick with our proven champions I say.

That said if no one injured returns I would be tempted to put Essien on the right wing, ala Gerrard, and give Mikal a start leaving Kalou or SWP out.

17. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree with you (except for a few CL games). Lampard is an great player when on form excellent at times. I think he was at his best during Ranieri's season, he played as he wasn't the only creative midfielder in the team. He has done tons for the team with his goals and assist (mostly of set pieces), and is a quality player. He isn't on form right now, though. In fact I'm hard pressed to find a really impressive performance by him in the past 6 months.

Essien was excellent against Man City when he and Lamps had space to control the middle of the park, but against Middlesoborough he wasn't as good. You would think with Makelele behind him he would have lisence to roam, but it seems as if does so even less. Maybe its a mental thing. Mikel is a young talent like I've said, probably one of the most naturally gifted players in the squad, but I think he should best come of the bench until he become's acclimatized to the Prem.

18. johnmikelobi

johnmikelobi New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    i'm not buying the: bring on mikel slowly, if he is good enough to play, he should. you won't know that unless he plays, i say give him a run of 30 mins or more and see what he can do, not all players are the same, he might be good enough to play now. UNLESS, he's not up to it in training. if jose thinks he's not good to play now, that will be good enuff for me. i rate the guy highly obviously, he is a different player from lampard and he(or ballack) is what we need right now, somebody to put the ball on the ground and thread those thru passes to the strikers. ballack is injured now so i'll give mikel a run, atleast significant minutes to see what he's got.

19. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I do think as the season wears on Lamp will and should get some rest and as Ballack is a world class player who is certainly in Lamps class we will not suffer for it. Though I do not think Lamp's performence was lacking overall yesterday he is the type of player who takes a few games and needs lots of action at the start of the season to hit peak form plus we need his experiance Sunday.

I am not saying don't play Ballack if he is healthy just not instead of Lamp plus he needs to prove himself in England yet though I have no doubt he will very quickly. Actually think we will see a bit of a rotation with Ballack, Essien and Mak and some Lamp rest over the long run if all healthy to keep all fresher this year.

In the event of injuries, suspensions it will be great to have Ballack and Essein and Mikel as well, as an answer rather than Maniche. It is likely that injuries will mean in the long run that we are happy to be deep rather than trying to figure out how to fit 3 into 2 spots or 4 into 3 spots.

20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As I have often said I love Mikel's game and his potential and his game now but it is very premature to rate him in the same class as Lamp, Ballack or Essein and he has played little football for a year, though it will not be long before he will be rated in that class if he is as good as we both think. But he will have to start behind those players and earn time. I am sure he will get some late minutes and some starts in some domestic cup matches, can feel Clan grimicing:D , to prove himself and with all the injuries maybe some key time this weekend

21. johnmikelobi

johnmikelobi New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    i'm not rating mikel on par with ballack or lampard at the moment, it will be ignorant to do that, however i rate him higher offensively than essien, i just thought he can bring a different element to the game than lampard, if on current form lampard is better than mikel, by all means he should play.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    thus far, Essien, Bridge and Sheva are the only 3 players that have looked worth starting.

23. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard doesn't need to be dropped, he needs to be rested. Playing 90 minutes in 55 matches every year just won't work. We'll have the squad to do it, so Lampard shouldn't be playing against Watford, Sheffield, in the League Cup, or against lesser opponents in the FA Cup. Without Robben or Cole we are lacking a lot, so I hope Arjen is fit. Kalou doesn't play wide enough and SWP is bereft of all confidence (we are in no position to give him 70+ minutes every match to find himself). If Ballack and Robben are fit then we see this:

------------------Cudicini---------------
    Ferreira----Boul/Carv----Terry-----Bridge
    -----------Essien-----------------------
    -------------Ballack*----Lampard-------
    ---------------------------------Robben*
    --------Sheva--------Drogba------------

* = unsure about fitness

I suspect that's what we'll see. Ideally, Joe Cole would play for Drogba and Makelele could play for any of the central three. It's just a matter of getting important players fit and on form. I don't have a good feeling about Sunday...

24. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC