EPL Preview: 9 of 10 EPL matches this weekend will involve Yanks

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    9 of the 10 EPL matches this weekend will involve Yanks.
    Here is a quick intro on them. Home teams listed first.

#4 Arsenal – #6 Reading (Hahnemann)
    The Gunners were not able to put a goal past one American Brad Friedel on Wednesday's FA Cup rematch, and now they get to try their luck against another Yank keeper in Marcus Hahnemann (who according to ACTIM is the best rated keeper in the league – I just like saying that). Bobby Convey of course misses this match due to injury. A win here would keep Reading in the 6th position in the table which (due to Chelsea's Carling Cup Trophy) is currently a UEFA Cup position. In all honesty, Reading have a chance here as Arsenal are getting worn out after having to deal with Carling Cup, FA Cup, and Champions League matches in addition to the League... and have little chance of getting into one of the top two places of the table.

#14 Fulham (McBride, Bocanega, Dempsey) – #13 Aston Villa
    Not sure how many YA will start – but my guess is McBride and Bocanegra will and Dempsey will get minutes off the bench. Fulham is in a safe area... pretty much safe from relegation and not a real chance for European competition. This could mean more opportunities for new folks like Dempsey to get minutes – though they will want to win games as each position in the table is worth $$

#15 Manchester City (Beasley) – #17 Wigan
    Look for Wigan to play hard as they try to stay out of the relegation zone. I'd put Beasley's chances of starting about 50-50. While Man City is probably not in serious danger of falling into the relegation zone, they could use a few wins to solidify their position.

#11 Newcastle United (Onyewu) – #12 Middlesbrough
    Expect Onyewu to start in this game – and maybe try to show Middlesbrough they should have signed him rather than Huth in the offseason.

#16 Sheffield United - #7 Everton (Howard)
    Both teams have things to fight for in this game. Howard and Everton are currently just on the outside of Euro competition for next season, and Sheffield United need to stay safely away from those pesky clubs trying to climb out of the relegation zone.

#20 Watford (DeMerit) - #18 Charlton
    I expect Jay to start as usual in this game – that looks to be a preview of games to come next season in the League Championship (doesn't that sound like a good thing??) While it is still possible for both of these teams to stay in the Premiership I won't be holding my breath. Of course Gibbs is also on Charlton, but will not play due to injury.

#5 Bolton - #10 Blackburn (Friedel)
    Blackburn will look to build on their FA Cup win as they take on Bolton this weekend. Friedel will take up his usual spot in the Rovers goal. A good string of games in the last 10 of the season and Rovers could make a run at a UEFA spot (which could move down to #7)

#19 West Ham (Spector) – Tottenham
    And the last Yank playing this weekend is Jon Spector and West Ham. On paper --- moving from Charlton to West Ham was a good move for Jon, but wow can any team possibly be less of “team” than West Ham? This team should be much better than they are... but right now I think they are bound for a season in the League Championship.

So there are 8 games --- but I said there were 9 of the 10 right?
    Well.....
    #3 Liverpool - #1 Manchester United
    While neither of these teams has an American on their roster at the moment, this does have American's involved as both clubs are owned by Americans.

Sidenote: Now that I've brought it up, Aston Villa is also owned by a Yank.

So there you have it.... only one game this weekend (Portsmouth – Chelsea) has no Yank as part of the team. This was so much easier to do when there were only a few American's playing in England!

(Of course Eddie Lewis and Jemal Johnson will once again be with Leeds who is doing their best to outdo West Ham as the team most underperforming this season... and Frank Simek will be with Sheffield Wednesday as they play one another this weekend.)

2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 9 of 10 EPL matches this weekend will involve Yanks

Wow, didn't even notice this as I glanced at this weekend's fixtures. The forum will be crowded indeed come Saturday morning. But I suppose this is a good problem to have, right?

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

If you're not moderating ;)

I generally check these things a day or two before the games (see who will be playing who) but this time with almost every game having some impact (and no I don't really expect anyone on here to care about Liverpool/Manchester United for the Yanks angle) to an American, it was too good to pass up.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, the actual question to ask as a true American is: what match DARED not feature any YAs? Those two clubs, whichever they are, are ON NOTICE....

UNless they give me air fare and match ticket to be there , so that i can represent the nation from the stands :p

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

That would be: Portsmouth - Chelsea

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad defense plus good keeper equals lots of saves.