EPL Pay-per-view package?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by benine, Jul 26, 2002.

1. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    I know we're still a bit off, but shouldnt the new season's package be available now? Is this because of that whole Sky mess or will there be no more EPL season pass for the US? anyone know?

2. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I checked www.dishnetwork.com & the EPL package was not shown as an option. The Charity(Community)Shield was shown, however. I sent an e-mail to dishnetwork asking if the EPL will be available.

3. Mailrenegade

Mailrenegade Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Reading,PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Soccertv.com Dish Network will not be offering the EPL PPV package this year. I am totally disgusted by this and I emailed my complaints to Dish. Dish has always stated they were the best provider of soccer coverage and now they pull a stunt like this!

4. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I e-mailed Dish Network, they stated that they didn't know @ this time if the EPL pay per view would be available. However, with about 2 1/2 weeks till the season starts, you'd think they would know. Therefore, I will take this as a negative.

5. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    well, thanks guys. I'm totally put off by all this and will be writing a nasty letter to Dish about this whole thing ( i think this is ample grounds to cancel my subscription with them, and everyone else should as well).

and here it is from soccertv.com
    English Premier League

July 29, 2002

FOX Sports International holds EXCLUSIVE US and Canadian TV rights to the English Premier League (EPL) through May 2004.

During the 2002-2003 season, FOX will offer 2 EPL matches each weekend on Saturday at 10am ET and Sunday at 11am ET via residential pay-per-view to DirecTV subscribers in the US.

Cable systems that offer iNDemand digital cable pay-per-view (AT&T, Comcast, COX, and Time Warner) will offer EPL pay-per-view telecasts on Sundays ONLY.

DirecTV will distribute the EPL pay-per-view telecasts to commercial establishments during the 2002-2003 season. Setanta Sport, which handled commercial distribution for FOX in the past, is no longer involved.

FOX Sports World (US) will also offer 2 tape-delayed EPL matches each weekend on Saturday at 12noon ET and Sunday at 2pm ET, a live match on Monday at 3pm ET if available, and selected weekday matches. FOX Sports World (US) will also air the TWI-produced EPL highlights show on Tuesdays (usually at 8pm ET) and Wednesdays (usually at 11:59pm ET).

FOX Sports World Espanol will air a tape-delayed match each Saturday at 12noon ET, a match each Monday at 3pm ET (live if available), and selected weekday matches.

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Where in that does it say DISH won't carry the PPV telecasts?

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Well it doesn't say that they will. I don't suppose it means that they won't though does it?

8. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

It's not that, its that they'll just be doing a match-at-a-time sell off, meaning $19.95 per match per weekend rather than offering a subscription package. Total b.s. money making crap, and to pay $20 to watch a game on tape the day after?

9. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    If people email DISH in droves, they'll have it. Patience; wouldn't be the first thing Oliver misfires on.

10. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Does anybody know if you can order the package from In-Demand? I know that they are having just the Sunday games but that's enough for me? Also what are the costs of the packages?

11. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    "Cable systems that offer iNDemand digital cable pay-per-view (AT&T, Comcast, COX, and Time Warner) will offer EPL pay-per-view telecasts on Sundays ONLY"

and no packages at all.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    If DirecTV is the distributor of the EPL package, you can bet your last $ that it won't be on Dish. This is a scheme to grab market share, you know. It's the same strategy as getting Sunday Ticket, League Pass, Extra Innings and Center Ice on DirecTV alone.

We should be glad that EPL package has been elevated to the status of the big 4.

For Dish Network viewers, there is always the Portugese package. $350 for 140-170 games, better value for the $ than the EPL package...

13. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    But since the buy-out by EchoStar (DISH) is in the works, why freeze out part of their customer "pool"?

14. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    The buy-out is far from a done deal. The legal hurdle of a single DBS monopoly has not been addressed yet. It would be a miracle if Echostar and DirecTV can merge in 2 seasons of EPL (my estimate).

Before that, it's business as usual, DirecTV wants to grab as many sports franatics as possible. Now that EPL franatics have no choice but to go DirecTV's way.

15. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I still can't believe that DISH won't have a single EPL pay-per-view telecast.

Then again, my checkbook will be a much healthier thing.

But the EPL/NFL doubleheader on Sunday mornings couldn't be beat.

Edited to say that a DISH rep, a very helpful lady, said if they'll have the package, it probably won't be for another week or so--if at all.

16. SirStrikesalot

SirStrikesalot New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    You dish people are lucky. On soccertv.com all the games are available for Dish but none for iNDemand PPV

17. davisplaid

davisplaid New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    durham
    ok i will get a form letter written tomorrow to be forwarded in droves. This is ridiculous..demand is low-price is high, but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to buy two live games every week in a season package form. I called Directv and an operator said they had no package. What makes this problem so frustrating is the misinformation, hopefully with olivers help we can get a straight answer from all providers,

18. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I just got off the phone with DirecTV after not being able to find out anything on their website. The customer service rep found the info: $129 for the season, but she said the package was for Saturday matches only (31 total matches). Unfortunately, she was unable to sign me up as the option was not yet available in her system.

19. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Wait a minute. You will be able to sign up for the EPL package even though it's just for Sundays. Then why can't I do that with InDemand?

20. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I don't know about the package, but it looks like both Dish and DirecTV will offer both Saturday and Sunday PPV games, at least according to the latest on the front page of soccertv.com. If you go, scroll down to English Premier League heading.

As usual, there's some conflicting info out there. I checked the FSW site (http://www.foxsportsworld.com/world/programschedules/fsw_epl.htm), and it says iNDemand will only have Saturday games. soccertv says iNDemand will have only Sunday games (just like last year). I have AT&T Digital Cable (iNDemand), and a search on YahooTV shows a Sunday morning game scheduled for 9 a.m. MT. No teams yet, but it's Arsenal v. Birmingham City. So it looks like the FSW site is wrong.

21. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    dwink, check out Business and Media. DISH does have a month and season-long package available now.

22. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
  23. Achilles

Achilles New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Arizona
    My Cable Network (Cox Communications) has a InDemand EPL package. It's $130 for 1 EPL game on Sunday morning throughout the season.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

24. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Then I'm going to call Comcast and Indemand for the Sunday package. Hopefully, you'll be able to do that then. I mean if Cox has it then Comcast should.

25. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC