EPL on NBC/U

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Oct 26, 2012.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It seems like NBC Universal has won the bidding to broadcast the EPL in the US.

NBCSN will probably become the EPL's main channel with the overflows or the Formula One conflicts going to USA or CNBC (or even Telemundo, I suppose).

It's unlikely that NBC will sublicense any matches to its competition such as FSC or ESPN2.

IMO, this will be better for the YA following on the clubs not called ManU, ManCity, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal since NBC can broadcast several matches concurrently.

2. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it, extra exposure can't be a bad thing. People who don't have ESPN or Fox Soccer will now be able to watch high quality games.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Extra exposure? Meh. I think NBC will find a way to bury 90% of the matches, highlight 5% and let the other 5% cry all night. Plus, their commentator line-up is not stellar. The article mentions they nearly tripled the previous Fox-Espn bid.

Got to hand it to NBC, when they ruin a thing, they don't skimp.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is this supposed to become effective? NBC SN is not commonly available either, perhaps no more so than ESPN or even FSC. I'd have to check the programming. How many and which channels will NBC offer for broadcast of EPL games ?

And what happens with FSC ? The main reason I watch FSC is for EPL matches (throw in the odd MLS and Internationals). And just when Bradley starts playing for AS Roma in La Liga, I get reduced Serie A coverage with BEIN.

5. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

2013-2016, I believe.

And there are no MLS games on FSC. They are on ESPN/NBC/Galavision.

NBC Sports is also very common. It use to be called Versus, but changed names around January of this year.

If they are throwing solid money at it, I would expect them to take it very seriously.

6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can also put game on the regional Comcast sports net works or on the much less available Universal Sports Net.

FSC still has the Champions League(s) and Europa League so it will be interesting to see what happens. FSC picked up the Eredivisie rights starting next year to go with the SPL, but they no longer have a "marquee" league for the weekends. They also have the Gold Cup and England home games and the FA Cup I believe plus Fox gets the World Cup starting in 2018.

7. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could put some marquee games on NBC or USA but I'm sure the main channel will be NBCSN with a few others being used as alternates when there are multiple games going. I could see the late Saturday and late Sunday games being put on NBC when there aren't alternatives like college and NFL football.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Stone: "I was off the interweb Friday. Anything big happen? Anything impactful? Anything I missed?" Nervous laughter from his buddies Wynalda, Barton and McBride.

9. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, Kyle Martino's move to NBC is looking better. I'm sure NBC and/or BeIn Sport will offer some of those guys a way out.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. I like the new Saturday broadcasts on FSC. The changes they've made to their weeknight show have made it unwatchable, on the other hand.

exref and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd love to see the EPL on NBC, I'm worried that ESPN will now treat the EPL like they did the NHL when they lost the NHL TV rights...:(

12. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that NBC Sports Network made the huge bid for EPL games

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This is a big investment for NBC, both in terms of money and the potential inventory. It would make sense for them to make the league their primary focus instead of frittering it around the cable universe.

In other words, expect a ton of games on delay, in addition to the live broadcasts.

Bundesliga is tied to GolTV through this season. It may make sense for FSC to bid for the US rights for the next cycle (once again, benefiting the ability to see the YA's/GH's there), although the viewing audience shrinks for the soccer made in Germany.

PS. As to the announcers, NBC can pick an international/BBC feed rather than the Sky Sport version.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer will have nothing left, just Champions League. They used to show J-League highlights, games from Argentina, Serie A. Now it's random college soccer and nothing but EPL. Sky Sports America. The only reason they're still relevant is the huge draw that is the EPL. What will they do next year?

15. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go back to being "Fox Sports World" and showing more rugby?

16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    One of the things I hope to see with NBC having EPL is using the late EPL matches as a leadin for MLS. For example, today you've got Chelsea-ManU at 11 my time, ending at 1. MLS needs to try to use that as a platform to draw more and new viewers. Roll directly into an MLS broadcast at 1 or 1.15 (2 Eastern). I think you'd see TV numbers jump significantly.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They may make a lot more money with some studio highlight show - negligible costs, plenty of commercials.

18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    and don't forget late night darts. I used to love stumbling home from a bar and watching darts lol.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They can repeat the day games, highlight packages and studio shows ad nauseam. That's free inventory. No need for darts when you already paid for Stoke-Sunderland or Newcastle-West Brom.

20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC confirms that they won

Also, 18-20 games on NBC. Overflow games (games played with the same start time) avaiable "digitally or or through some sort of arrangement with MVPDs (multichannel video programming distributors) on some sort of pay television package."

21. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wahl or someone else needs to help Richard out with this part of the article:

There are 380 league games and 180 don't count towards league standings? :eek::D

22. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that made me go what as well.

23. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as I don't have to hear Marcelo Balboa or Shep Messing on these broadcasts, I'm fine with it.

Winoman and bungadiri repped this.
  24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If NBC offers free Internet/mobile streaming from their web site as they have been doing with their Sunday Night NFL matches ... eh, games, then the access to the content will indeed be much easier.

This is especially significant for the bottom half of the EPL teams, where Yanks can be expected to show up.

25. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it on NBC better than Fox.