PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs Sheffield United FC - Jun 24, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 18:00 (BST), 13:00 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Main Event(UK), Sky Sports Premier League(UK), Sky One(UK), Sky Ultra HD(UK), MUTV(UK), Premier Player HD(UK), Telemundo Deportes En Vivo(US), NBC Sports Live(US), NBCSN(US), Universo Now(US), DAZN(Canada), RUSH(JA), SuperSport 4 Africa(Zambia), SuperSport Maximo(Zambia)

Manchester United injuries: Lindelöf (knock), Tuanzebe (knock), Jones (lol)
    Sheffield United injuries: Henderson(ineligible), Egan (red), O'Connell (knee)

Manchester United last 6: W-D-W-W-W-D
    Sheffield United last 6: W-D-W-W-D-L

Manchester United last result: 1-1 away draw at Tottenham Hotspur
    Sheffield United last result: 3-0 away loss to Newcastle United

Manchester United league standing: 5th
    Sheffield United league standing: 7th

Last League Encounter: 3-3 away draw at Bramall Lane (Oct 2019)

Manchester United last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    de Gea, Shaw, Maguire(c), Lindelöf, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Fred, Rashford, Fernandes, James, Martial

Sheffield United last starting XI (4-4-2):
    Henderson, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Baldock, Berge, Norwood, Fleck, Stevens, McBurnie, Sharpe(c)

=====================
    "first" home game of the summer. must win with Aston Villa unable to claim some points on Sunday.

go go go

jnielsen repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PL still has the rule where loanees cant play against their parent clubs, right? So no Henderson for them should be a loss. He bails them out a lot.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a must win game here, simply put, in terms of our hopes to finish in the top 4. Anything short of that and we can all but that hope goodbye and CL qualification will have to come via winning the EL or the hope that City's ban will be upheld and the 5th placed team will take their spot in the competition.
    It's not just catching Chelsea that is important, we also have to keep Wolves at bay, as it's pretty clear they won't be going anywhere, anytime soon. Sheffield is no gimme but they are vulnerable as the game vs Newcastle showed. No Hendo is a big plus but their backline has taken a further hit with Egan's suspension (on top of O'Connell being already injured).
    My team selection for this is pretty straightforward and I'll stick more or less with what I wanted to see vs Spurs:
    ----------------------Dave
    --AWB---Lindelöf----Maguire---Shaw
    ----------------------Matic
    ----------------Bruno----Pogba
    --------Mase-----Martial----Rashford
    We need to respect Sheffield but at the same time, can't go overboard with that (especially under the circumstances). Bailly might have to start in Lindelöf's place and that would work perfectly fine for me. Vic was not horrible vs Spurs (was better than Mag on the day as a matter of fact) but those 2, while they can work well together, are just not an optimal partnership. Bailly has the athleticism and speed to cover for Maguire when necessary.
    There are questions about Mase's impact as a starter but given what James has showed vs Spurs and the impact Mase had when he was introduced, I definitely want to see him get another opportunity to start. If there is a player who appear to be in a great position for a strong end of season run, it's Greenwood as far as I'm concerned. James coming on in the 2nd half and run at potentially tired defenders should make him more effective.
    Perfectly fine also with watching Pogba's minutes but he needs to start this time: he can be subbed off after an hour-70mins or so. We've got good options available to spell him and close out the game which hopefully should be well on hand by then. When it's all said and done, getting all the points is an absolute must: whatever it takes.

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    @Ashur agree with your lineup with the exception of bailly instead of lindelof. i think he works better with maguire.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think that Bailly makes for a better partner to Maguire as well. Bailly's reliability though is probably why Ole does not fully trust him completely yet to be our #2 CB.
    We can only hope that will change, if he gets the chance to prove himself. Bailly's performance earlier this season vs Chelsea was superb: that was the Beastmode from his first season at the club. And if can stay healthy, there is no question as to who should be Maguire's main partner.
    I keep hoping that Bailly has finally put his injury issues behind him: fingers crossed this will be it this time...

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Think we benefit from isolating their defenders in space. They are all over the shop right now. i'd expect to see the same shape as the first game back, but starts for Pogba and maybe Mason, but I suspect Ole will stick with James.

5 subs means Ighalo and Matic are basically guaranteed minutes. I'd have liked to see a kid or two on the bench for this one. I'd love it if we could start on the front foot, put the game away and get some minutes for a couple young players.

If James has another outing like he did last time, Ole will likely be considering AP or Jesse to replace him. I think we're going to see Mason as a sub outside of cups.

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It'll still be either 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-1-2. It's clear we see Pogba as being the deeper of the two by default. And this is definitely a game for Pogba to pull the strings from deep, their front line will be 2v2 on our CBs when we're in possession.

We shouldn't play the back 3, we were hopeless against them last time we tried it and we rarely look fluid in it against another back 3. And we need Rashford high and wide to stretch their backline when playing direct through/over their midfield.

It may well be James again to be able to cover the wingback and break forward at pace. I wouldn't mind Mason in this one as we should be dominating possession and will benefit from him tucking in and being a goal threat when camped in the final third, but I still think he'll be a sub with 20-30 mins to go.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    With 5 subs. I go with Ashurs line up then
    Bailly for Lindelof
    AP or Mata for Bruno
    Fred for Pogba
    James or Jesse for Mase
    Ighalo for Martial (should be Rash but Ole loves him)

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    jnielsen repped this.
  11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007

Didn't know we still had programmes when nobody is physically attending.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Ashur, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    The leaked lineup for today.
    upload_2020-6-24_11-8-13.png
    Would be very happy if that was it: no need for 2 men to be sitting deep in midfield against teams like Sheffield. This team very well could cut them to pieces: just need to be aggressive and go after them relentlessly. A big, decisive win would really be welcome.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheffield Utd XI: Moore, Basham, Jagielka, Robinson, Stevens, Baldock, Norwood, Lundstram, Fleck, McGoldrick, Mousset

15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    this is our most skilled front 6 on the ball, we should dominate possession.

16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yup. 4-2-3-1. Pogba deep.

Greenwood starting is positive. Big opportunity for him to show what his new frame is capable of over 90.

Shaw is probably to give us 3 at the back when in possession and keep a numbers advantage over the Sheff Utd front 2.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect more than just dominating possession though and really want to see the team put a few in also. You have to think that Sheffield's backline could be there for the taking: Jags has experience but he's not the most fleet of foot and as a unit, they presumably have little time together. Which hopefully will work to the frontline's advantage.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think you mean 5.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking lovely. Defenders can't be looking forward to this coming at them.
    upload_2020-6-24_12-14-45.png

20. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    ?

21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Matic is not skilled on the ball. Even for a 6.

22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i disagree. but even if you think that he's not skilled in the absolute, he still is better on the ball than fred or mct.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Need Martial to be better than last time out. I don't think he was terrible last time, but we need a central presence to open things up for Rashford and Greenwood.

Pogba/Bruno should help in that regard, with Bruno able to play closer to Martial due to Pogba's ability to progress the ball quickly. We just need good movement from both fullbacks to break them down when they are set up.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Matic is better on the ball than McTominay. Fred is better on the ball than Matic in some situations and Matic better in others. Matic has pretty good ability to manipulate the ball when being closed down, but Fred is way more likely to ignore the press by touching the ball into space and stepping past the press. I'd call it about even with them on the ball overall. Fred's short passing is better than Matic and Matic has better long passing.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Happy with starting an attacking team, most important given we have done so is to make it count first half (many of which have been drab / cagey affairs).

Pogs likely to only get 60 / 65 mins or so from what Ole has said pre-match. They are right to show some caution.

Ighalo hopefully later. James can come on later against tired legs. Fred industry could be good off the bench for Pogs too. Also hope to see Brandon get some minutes. Nice to still have options despite fielding our strongest team.