PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs Manchester City FC - Apr 24 , 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

incighte repped this.
  2. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "clear out" has to include the manager. He's bringing knives to gunfights and is clearly being outsmarted.

3. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Funny, now with only 3 matches left, we have the easiest run in in the contest for 4th.

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We disnt started well and all the hassling puffing just restricted citeh and their quality shone eventually..

5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Chelsea sounds easy ..

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Just reading Ole post match comments and its very discouraging and he thinks he got a reaction out of those players...delusional and sounds lost

7. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He did get a reaction, but it faded fast in the second half. This team failed the gut check.

incighte repped this.
  8. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I mean, he did.

It's just we are that poor, misguided, and without cohesive talent.

But if we'd have played today like we did on Sunday, City could have put 10 on us.

I get the feeling that there's something very rotten that the public doesn't know about. Nobody can look straight at the camera anymore.

Watch Solksjaer's post match interview. When he talks about Rashford there's an insinuation and change in emphasis that makes me think that there is an internal awareness to an unspecified, or at least non-public, problem within the club. He emphasized Rashford's attitude almost too keen as if to say there's specific players he can't specify in a negative manner; but those players aren't carrying their weight.

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We were another bottom half club for Citeh and quality came out top in the end, where was the reaction ?? Restricted them to 0 goals till half time ?? this is not reaction but joke and many bottom clubs could claim the same..

10. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Also, I don't think he could be anything other than optimistic or coy. If we had been smashed out of the ground, it's one thing, but we held on and kept it respectable.

If Ole had gone in hard, it would have buried the mentality of the few that we have left still set right.

I emphasize now more than ever: it's embarrassing that this club is letting Ander Herrera go.

jnielsen and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #211 Father Ted, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Well it wasn't quite the weekend shitshow plus if Lingard scores that sitter and DDG saved one it would have been a different story.

incighte repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We clearly saw a reaction today, even if unfortunately it simply was not enough against a top class City team. Our attack that continues to be poor and misfiring is a proven we need to find a solution for the remaining 3 games (all of which are very winnable, even Chelsea IMO).
    Been said before, but Ole really has nothing to lose by picking one or two youngsters. Even if he does not start them, but they can have an impact off the bench.
    And speaking of the bench, he really needs to start making changes quicker. He knows full well that the pace he demands is too much right now for the guys and they eventually tire out in the 2nd half: it's common sense that fresh legs are required midway the 2nd half max in order to keep up the tempo we start with.
    Top 4 is still a longshot, but other teams keep giving us chances and this weekend, we face a direct competitor, which could have huge implications. Let's hope we can somehow sort ourselves out...

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just watch the second goal for some of what is wrong with our club.

Fred gets beaten too easily by Sterling - have to wonder if Fred has the quality and attributes for this league. Says a lot about our recruitment and scouting.

Young has Sane run off him which makes it 4vs3. Why are a club like ourselves still relying on a player like Young?

The fact that it is 4v3 is because we do not have a #6. We have Matic who is too pedestrian and Herrera who is not a natural #6 and is out the door. So we start with Fred & Perreira - neither of whom are #6s.

Darmian feels he has to track Aguero because Smalling is not even watching him and he runs behind Smalls which pulls Darmian out of position at RCB. Smalls, Jones, Rojo not good enough. Darmian also not good enough and no Young to cover.

DDG since this end of season contract stuff has been distracted.

That is just what is wrong with us defensively. We have issues all over the pitch.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Chelsea and Arsenal have 2 semi-final games in the europa league ( even Tottenham have 2 in the champions league ) , they will suffer from exhaustion more than you , i'm sure they will drop points in the final 3 games they have , all you have to do is win the 3 remaining games and the game against Chelsea will be the one that can decide that

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where was this effort vs Everton?

Either way the gulf in quality was apparent....to think City signed Bernardo Silva for 43 million.

Compare that to all our recent midfield purchases...********.

Lindelof looked solid atleast overall, there's still something there to build on.

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have been saying this even before the losing streak began. The change in training schemes is another factor in the current run. A rush back from injuries. This team is not fit. For this I am willing to have patience with Ole. Give him a full preseason to get this team (well hopefully not this entire team) to the fitness level he desires to have them play his way.

I am not as pissed off as so many. The signs have been on the wall for a bit.

And I still have so much doubt about appointing a DoF.

I still love this club. Whatcha gonna do?

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think that's harsh on Fred to say he hasn't got the attributes or quality because he was beaten by Sterling. He overcommitted, yes. But that's the sort of thing an 8 will do when they're not used to playing as a 6.

If anything his performances of late merit more of a look-in for next season. Meanwhile we need to almost entirely replace our defensive roster over the next two years. Maybe we should be looking at Rice after all, we're so far away from playing with a more sophisticated DM as things stand.

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I haven't given up on Fred. I think my point is more about our recruitment in the sense that we just seem to pick players without really knowing how to integrate them.

In the summer we bought Dalot and Fred and that was it. They both have promise but the simple fact is that they have not been automatic starters in their positions. We have mostly played Dalot as a RWF instead of RB and Fred as a #6 when he is more an #8.

That is a big concern when that was all we had in the summer to move us forward.

Haven't given up on either of them, but where is the planning? Where is the strategy? What is the plan? We need to buy nailed on starters in certain positions and constantly fail to do so.

Our recruitment is my single biggest concern. Ultimately whoever our manager is will only be as good as the squad we are building. They said on Sky City have spent 470M or some such and we have spent 420M or some such. Can't remember the exact figures, but one club has spent wisely and one has just p****d the money away.

JC7rox and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea this is hardly a reaction. end of the day we still lost at home again uncomfortably. we should never be OK with that. liverpool or not. title or not.

i am not stuck on the money so much as i've stated with the inflated prices though i am in full agreement the spending could have been much much better.

when was our last home win over city? OK the away wins are nice? but we need a fortress at home. we aren't particularly good either home or away. we'll need to be good somewhere if we are to try and challenge somewhere.

i don't think we can say one or two pieces will fix it's like liverpool because we don't have a set style yet. we need to establish that first before scrambling to buy anyone. personally i feel we are way too passove. counter is fine but there needs to be more for the players we have. even if they are inconsistent.

early business is good but it needs to have purpose and structure. lots of work to do but give Ole time. we all thought there were issues with the squad pre-Ole so at least see how and who he recruits.

logically i can't place too much blame at a guy who has had no chance to implement change

incighte repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Our scouting/recruiting department is trash when it comes to finding players of that talent

jnielsen repped this.
  23. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Recruitment has clearly been a problem, but I also think it's wrong to overlook the fact that we've had poor managers for years now. How many first team players have made significant internal improvements in the last 5+ years since SAF left? It's honestly hard to come up with any names - we've seen temporary upticks in form but guys making sustained improvement over their previous level? Shaw this year maybe counts although I'd argue he's more getting back to where he was previously. Some of the young players have shown modest improvement but none has really jumped a level, not even Rashford.

Then look at City - people here talked down Sterling when they got him, Fernandinho was considered bang average, lots of people questioned their CBs, B. Silva was certainly not considered player of the year contender level, neither was KDB. Yes, they've spent a fortune and spent it well, but their players also improve under Pep while every single one of our players has stagnated.

I don't say any of this to defend our trash recruitment but to point out that the club has top to bottom issues.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The constant turnover in managers and philosophy every 2-3yrs certainly does not help either. That is why the hiring of a DoF, who can set a recruiting pattern and team philosophy that outlives any manager we bring in, is vitally important.
    Not only that, but everything we do going forward has to be at the service of that ideal, including the choice of managers. We can argue about their inherent quality, but we've been all over the shop with the guys we brought in that department since SAF left. And ironically, not had one (until we got Ole) who understood United DNA and tradition.