PBP: EPL: Burnley v Manchester United Sat 23 Sep 2023 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Sep 22, 2023.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well done Hannibal.

Anonymous_United, SF19, thefly and 6 others repped this.
  2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Liked what I saw from Hannibal. Very involved, put in a hell of a shift.

Bruno...nuff said.

Deadtigers, Anonymous_United and thefly repped this.
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fin - vital 3 points but Martinez injured before match and Reguilon injured during means we lose last two remaining left footed defenders.

Evans went off before the game too - thought he had a good game.

Not great performance, but is a start.

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Agreed. 36 YO Evans is better than 24 YO Evans. He has a confidence and cool about him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hannibal deserves another start after the last 2 performances

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    a clean sheet at last. that's something

JC7rox, benni... and Sofabloke repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don’t watch this one, but good to see our offense only managed a single goal against the worst defense in the league. Damn we’re good.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    At this point i will gladly take 3 points and just hope we can muster some confidence and eventually start playing good football.

Sofabloke repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I guess it's the experience that comes with age and having been involved in a couple of relegation battles. I will say he once again he continues to be a professional's professional and somebody you definitely want the younger players rooming with on road trips.

SF19, Sofabloke, thefly and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With ALL of our first choice back 4 plus 2 backups out. I know we're not going well atm but to get a victory and a clean sheet is a good achievement.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i am far less enthused about it. definitely wouldn't call it good.

it was relegation candidate Burnley after all who naturally struggle to score. Jay Rodríguez is still their main man after all. we didn't look convincing ourselves either.

it's just a starting point/baby step for me. stops the away rot and trend of conceding in threes. it won't mean much if we ship multiple goals and lose the next game so we'll see

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I appreciate the optimism, but we faced the leagues worst defense and only managed to score thanks to a Bruno worldy.

Our offense has only managed 7 goals in the league in 6 games. There are 5 teams in the league that have twice as many goals as us. In our front 3, only Rashford has a single goal. Our offense is putrid. Quite possibly the worst its ever been in the PL. Even if we get our defense healthy, if we only average 1 goal a game, we arent finishing inside the top 8 this season.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We did put 3 past Bayern, but the problem was we conceded 4 goals. We played great football to score our goals, even though Bayern effectively allowed us to play through them because they had won by then. We looked sloppy at our end. Lindelof simply didn't look good enough to grace the pitch. Questions will be asked about Onana.

I don't mind winning these 1-0 because my expectation is the form will pick up. If by January we continue to look this dysfunctional, then its clear we'll need signings there and then and cant afford to wait until the summer.

That we have that extra bit of quality is what separates us from the Burnleys. They don't have a Bruno.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People are being fooled by that Bayern score. Did you watch the game? It was the most lopsided 4-3 game you’ll ever see. It felt more like an 8-0 game. Bayern basically never left 1st gear. After 2-0 they stopped playing and let us back in. But as soon as they needed a goal, they got it with ease.

SF19 repped this.
  15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We were well on top in the first 20 minutes and should have been ahead. Once they scored it became very sloppy on both sides.

16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Bayern could have taken us apart like they did Bochum.

Bayern's defense I think is a weak point, especially from the right side. Laimer is not a proper right back. Upamecano has been questionable and susceptible to bad errors. I think Kim is a good defender, but he should not be shortlisted for the Balon d'Or. De Ligt has become something of a forgotten man. I rate Davies. I don't rate their keeper, but he's got good size and meets basic requirements.