Entertainment Weekly's Top 25 Hip-Hop Albums of All-Time

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by biggyv, Dec 1, 2004.

1. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    There are songs you could easily pluck off of "Nation of millions" like "cold lampin' with flava" and "terminator x to the edge of panic" to name a few that aren't GREAT songs but just decent. And if you ask me (yes, I started my sentence with And!) some of the lesser known songs on Straight Outta Compton more than make up for the extreme lamity of "Somethin 2 Dance 2" such as "Parental Discretion Iz Advized" and some of MC Ren's tracks. That guy made some excellent rhymes!

I also gotta say, another good call on the list is having Gangstarr represented.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yea, Ice Cube's rhyme on Parental Discretion... is still very very good...

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting list, at least it's something worth talking about with some interesting choices (like the #1 choice, or "Fear of a Black Planet" being chosen over "Nation of Millions").

I gotta take "Low End Theory" over "Midnight Marauders" only for "Scenario". That has to be one of the best hip-hop singles ever. I've thought of compiling a mix of all Busta Rhymes cameos. Between "Scenario", his song with Mos Def on "Black on Both Sides", and some of his other cameos, his guest appearances tend to be much stronger than his solo work.

I don't think B.I.G. belongs that high (or even on the list) but that's just personal bias. Or maybe P Diddy's stank just clings a little too tightly to him for my taste.

Aquemini is the right choice as far as Outkast albums, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Cypress Hill-Cypress Hill on there. "All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!"

Didn't make the cut, but I sure wish they had...

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
    If Dr. Octagon is on there, I think Shadow might belong in the mix too. Took hip-hop in a completely different direction, and took sampling to another level (along the lines of "Paul's Boutique")

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
    Someone else mentioned Nia, I just like Blazing Arrow a little better. Kind of like the difference between "Low End Theory" and "Midnight Marauders".

NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    Without this album, there is no "The Chronic".

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I fully agree.

Blazing Arrow is indeed great, I just don't know that I could put it in the all time greats yet because it hasn't had time to really stand the test of time, which as far as I'm concerned with hip hop is 3 or 4 years. I'm sure it WILL survive the test of time, but that's why I chose NIA over Blazing Arrow.

I'm actually not a fan of Dre's solo stuff at all, so I'd be fine if there were no "The Chronic". :D

5. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    I'd add Resurrection, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords, Mecca & The Soul Brother, Blackstar, Midnight Marauders, and you guys are gonna flame for this one, but also Labor Days by Aesop Rock. That and The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox are IMO probably the two best underground albums ever.

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Me Against the World should be in the top 10.

I've always liked Midnight better then Low end, btw. It was Written was better then Illmatic. I like Mos Def, but the Blackstar LP was alot better.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    #1 is one of my favorite albums, regardless of genre. It's one I know I can pop on in any mood and enjoy.

Looks like EW actually asked people who know hip-hop to make the list.

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States