English pub

Discussion in 'Collectors' started by JacksonJazz#9, May 24, 2003.

1. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am remodeling my basement, and im going to have it as an english pub... dart board, pool table etc. yes i know its not a snooker table but i dont know how to play snooker.

in any event, what should i have down there so it looks authentic? im going to get some jerseys mounted, a flag or 2...

any other suggestions? leave out "get a drunk in the corner" comments, my friends have already thrown those my way.

anyone know of sites where i could see some pics of various pubs for a frame of reference?

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    not so much along the lines of decor; but with regard to accessories, you might want to make sure that your pint glasses are uniformly guinness, bass, harp*, or whatever. if you go to ebay and enter the keywords of various beers, you'll find glasses, ashtrays, handles (if you're going to have beer on tap), etc., appropriate to your cause.

*i'm aware, of course, that two of these are irish beers, but you'll likely find accessories more readily available for these than alot of english beers - and, of course, you'll find them in many english pubs, as well.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    god I wish I could do this to my basement!!!

4. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah.... it will be a soccer pub in my basement... a place to get away, shoot pool, watch the tube for EPL, MLS or internationals...

im looking forward to it... a ways off yet... but looking forward to it

5. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    The Charleston Battery plays at Blackbaud Stadium. The team is owned by a Brit named Tony Bakker who did it up like at home.

The coolest part is the Three Lions Pub, which is acessible for members on game day. It's an English pub down to Boddingtons on tap.

Lots of soccer memorabilia on the walls, mostly framed autographed uniform jerseys. Very, very cool.

But in the pool room (it really is a pool table- a concession to America perhaps, I dunno) the walls are covered, from floor to ceiling, with these picture frames, maybe five by four feet. In each one, laid out edge to edge, are soccer club scarves from all over Europe. The frames are set very close to each other and it's overwhelming. It's like this riot of soccer.

Easy enough to do, as scarves are readily available online, and the effect is terrific.

6. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    The cheapest soccer memorabilia readily available on ebay are old programmes from famous games (1960 EC final for example) they're not too expensive and you can hang those on your wall. Also try scarves, they are the soccer equivalent of the pennants people have in baseball games. They're cheap and look good on the wall.

If you're going for the retro look you can go to TOFFS (there's a limited selection available from the bigsoccer store or you can go to their website) and buy a few classic shirts to put up.

As for the bar, you need to decide what you will serve. If you want it authentic you're going to need a kegorator with taps. I'd choose at least three beers; a larger (Harp, Carlsberg) a stout (Guiness, Murphy's), and an ale (Bass, Newcastle, Tetley, Boddington). Three taps should be enough to give you a good selection without you having to buy a proffesional $3,000 keg cooler.

Remember, that for the stouts and ales your basic carbon dioxide canister won't work (it'll work but the beer will taste like ************) you're going to need a mixed gas cylinder (25% CO2, 75% Nitrogen). There are internet sites you can order this from, (the mixed gas cylinder's luckily last longer than the CO2). You might also contact your local brew-club if you're not alredy a member, and ask them for advice.

As for the decor, try either a dense ply carpet or wood floors (the particle board with the veneer looks and feels as good as the real stuff and is reasonably cheap).

You could put in pannelling as wainscoting up to about 4ft high and have a 5 inch wide ledge on top (to rest your beer). You can plaster (if its concrete cinderblock) and paint the rest what ever subdued color you like. That way you only have to decorate the wall half the way up!

Also remember not to forget a BIG bar mirror(Guinness, Harp, Bass) to put behind the bar plus a few other beer adverts around the place (the Guinness poster art is very cool); a small fridge to have sodas and mixers, bottled beer for the ********************* who like Bud lightetc; a shelf behind the bar with liquor and plenty of whisky; bar towels advertising ales and stouts; and lastly a set of proper pint glasses (imperial pints) 20 oz.

7. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all great ideas!!! scarves will be a cool touch if i can get them framed... i have several jerseys, (aresenal, PSV Eindhoven, Chicago Sting, Fire) and some of my old jerseys that i want to hang... but not sure how to hang them... i looked at a framed jersey box, and those go for like $300 a pop... i think i can make something that will look decent, but need ideas...

as far as the bar.... the kegorator is going to be out of the question.... unless i want to live down there and never see my wife again... we will probably buy a small mid sized fridge.. and i might paint it with an Arsenal jersey on it.... going to have to get some mirrors... and yes guiness would be sweet, if i could find where to buy one of those. i was thinking about wainscoting on the walls but yes i like the idea of a rail to put your beer on

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    pictures!

9. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
  10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    nice stuff
    I'd rather get the Newcastle merchandise though :)

NUFC!

11. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    toons

yes, i would rather have the newcastle mirror behind my bar..... although Guiness does have a very europeon edge to it...

we shall see.....

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    well..... ? :)

13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx for the info on the jersey framing :)

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. :D

I had thought of getting acrylic plastic glass to put over them or something... but I will try the picture frames first.

Also, the way I see scarves hanging at most pubs is sideways.

I have 4 flags hanging in my basement called "The Footie Lounge". (The Stars and Stripes, the Union Jack, St. George's Cross, and the Ireland colours). Widescreen TV, Surround Sound, George Best posters/shirts/banner, assorted US and Manchester United stuff (clock, kits, scarves, rug, towel), a set of 12 Harp lager pint glasses and a mini-fridge. I also have pictures of my teams coming up through Under-8's and a picture of me and George Best taken at a local soccer camp.

I should probably start saving to get the draught setup before I get married or something, cause then it's all over. :D

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    post some pictures of this!!

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm about to buy a house and the basement is in need of a remodel. While my wife would never let me get away with turning it into a pub, it will be what we call a "man room". Soccer viewing will be of the highest priority.

18. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POST EM!!!

I have 4 flags hanging in my basement called "The Footie Lounge". (The Stars and Stripes, the Union Jack, St. George's Cross, and the Ireland colours). Widescreen TV, Surround Sound, George Best posters/shirts/banner, assorted US and Manchester United stuff (clock, kits, scarves, rug, towel), a set of 12 Harp lager pint glasses and a mini-fridge. I also have pictures of my teams coming up through Under-8's and a picture of me and George Best taken at a local soccer camp.

I should probably start saving to get the draught setup before I get married or something, cause then it's all over. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

post some pics!!!!

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: POST EM!!!

post some pics!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Post som epictures of this!!!!

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Man those are some great pics!
    3 Lions Pub sounds freken awesome!

22. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got my in home pub goin

well ive moved into my new house... and got my basement set up.... pool table at one end.... .36 inch TV w/fox sports world at the other..... ive got a sweet drink rail on the walls next to the pool table to rest your pint glass on as you shoot. bar is still being built. ive also got jerseys mounted on the wall (2 of my club shirts, plymouth argyle, arsenal, Fire, and PSV Eindhoven). across from that wall i have the English St Georges flag mounted on the wall as well... really starting to take shape...

i need to get a couple more jerseys, and some scarves...

anything else you can think of that ive missed?

23. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your looking for scarves,try WWW.SOCCERSCARF.COM
    They have a huge selection of scarves and some team flags.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: got my in home pub goin

post some pics mate!

25. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mickey and NYR metros

Mick... great pics of the 3 lions pub.... actually, that pub was my inspiration to finish my basement "pub" style.

Metros... im not sure how to upload pics on the BS board, so im afraid im sunk.

ive got to get some scarves down stairs. anyway... more work to do on it....

talk to yall later