English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Don't listen to em lad. Crowley's going to be a soccerball legend once O'Neil has cast his managerial genius over in his general direction.

2. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    This is true, I agree you don't have to be physically large, but you do have to be strong, and they are not synonymous. Neymar, Sterling, David Silva, they are all very tough on the ball and have good core strength. I've seen a lot of crowley's 90 mins this year and like him as a player, but WASP is right, he's going to have to move up a notch physically to be able to compete in more demanding environments. I think he can get there but it may be a year or so. Hopefully it all works out for you all.

3. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Amen, this is poor.

4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Honestly as a proud English supporter I will always want us to have the best talent fighting for the cause, and respect as an Irishman that you want the same. I just personally don't understand how someone who was born and brought up in England and who's parents are English could ever want to play for someone other than England. I'm sure you would feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot. If I was him I wouldn't have doubts. And this is coming from someone who left England and has lived in a foreign country for 15 years. I'd still wear that 3 lions shirt, and if I couldn't and it meant I didn't get 100 caps elsewhere than so be it. But I respect that that is a personal opinion

5. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What level do you think Crowley will get to . Do you think he could end up playing for chelsea or man united or he is more everton or watford level?.

6. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Honestly, I think he could be a player who would do better in ligue 1 or the primera. Someone like nice would be a good level. First step is to cement his place in willem ii’s team because its only been 4 games and last year he was sent out on loan.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, guess we can take Brooks, Ampadu and Matt Smith off the Dual list as they have now been cap tied by Wales tonight. :cool:

8. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Sad to lose ampadu. Good prospect and were light for quality cb’s. Good luck to him

9. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Thought Wales looked really good in general - Ampadu is some player but thought Brooks impressive too.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah Ampadu I think might be a big miss for us but guess it depends on how our other talents develop.

At the moment I think we find it difficult to complete with Wales for our English born Duals. Wales seem to get them in young and once they do, they seem to nearly always to stay with them. It’s probably the promise of a faster track to the senior side that’s the big attraction where as with us it’s a much more progressive nature. Meanwhile, it always feels like a constant battle to keep hold of our Dual Nationalities from other Countries.

David Hurford repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #1386 BarryfromEastenders, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    I’m not sure we can define someone as a big miss if they didn’t even have the desire to play for us. Ampadu’s mother is Welsh and his father was raised in and played for Ireland. His case is quite different to the others.

A few of the other cases with their grandparent picks the players have seemed very passive about their decisions. It’s not as if they are strongly stating ‘I feel more Welsh’ or criticising the England set up. It’s more ‘they have treated me well and I like it.’ Almost like the nationality stuff isn’t relevant. It’s pretty much impossible for our set up to do anything in that scenario. Or that is how I see it.

12. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    At a time when players are struggling to make an impact and come through at PL sides, the fast track route into international football is good for their careers too.

Where ultimately being an England international is a path to untold wealth and fortune that road is too difficult and too unpredictable. The likes of Woodburn has come so much more into the public eye, and got a better loan move off the back of his performances in the national set up rather than anything done at Liverpool.

All those youngsters being around the senior setup are seeing their careers begin to flourish and it becomes a virtuous circle.

People are talking about Phil Foden being almost a test case for England - if he can't make it, who can - but if he was Welsh he'd already be a full international and those experiences would be improving him more than playing for England U20s is.

Athlone and David Hurford repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m not sure about that. Woodburn has still had to leave on loan even after doing well when given chances. His loan in my view isn’t that great and not much different than quite a few of our options. Even Brooks’ move in my view was off the back of his club form. He didn’t have massive exposure up until that point.

I agree though that the quick promotion and exposure is enticing and has obvious benefits.

14. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    It just seems to me that some are seeing the benefit of putting the cart before the horse - we'll see how it plays out going forwards. Brooks barely started for Sheff U last year, and bar a couple of high profile games on the box didn't seem to be making regular impacts on games.

In the same way the England U20 WC winners seemed to get more opportunities than I would have predicted due to their success it helps raise public profiles and clubs seem to react to international success rather than the other way round at times.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Didn’t he play for us at U16 level? That’s why I thought it might be a bit of a missed opportunity but you’re right, with his Welsh mother, I think we were always up against it despite being English born.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how Rabbi Matondo qualifies for Wales? I know he’s born in Liverpool but was in Cardiff City Academy.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just seen this on Paul Glatzel and a question about his International ambitions, it’s nothing major but just thought I’d add it here anyway.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/314911-liverpool-paul-glatzel-scouse-german

On his international ambitions as he can play for Germany or England…

I just need to keep going and see what comes. At some point I will have a decision to make but my main focus is Liverpool.

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Same group as Glatzel, Brennan Johnson , in the Wales u19 squad.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He's lived there for most of his life, so if nothing else he'd probably qualify through the "five years' education under the age of 18" limb of the Home Nations Agreement.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm pretty sure i've heard Matondo speak and he's very Welsh.

21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That certainly seems the case.

Did he represent England at under 15 level ?

He will definitely be the next one they will try to get committed after Mepham, Smith, Ampadu, Brooks, Wilson, Woodburn, Lawrence, Roberts .

22. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Annoying that all Wales's big prospects are actually English. I always thought Wales would drop off especially as Bale and Ramsey get older but now they have a solid set of players for another 10 years to keep them in contention to qualify for tournaments.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Antonee Robinson (Wigan, on loan from Everton) confirmed in an interview that he turned down an England U21 callup shortly after the US senior national team first called him up in March, when he was on loan with Bolton.

He was born and raised in England to an England-born, American-naturalized father who played college soccer in the US. Robinson likely starts at left back for the US against Brazil tonight, and in all likelihood in November against England. Shortly after his first callup, he essentially walked into the #1 US left back spot with no significant competition, obviously a major appeal for accepting the US senior call. He is not yet cap-tied; the earliest the US can cap-tie him is the Gold Cup in June 2019.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not really a decision is it?

Back up (at best) England Under 21 or play for the full USA team.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    There's no point in reading too much the Wales result as the Ireland team they were playing would struggle to stay in the Championship if it were a club side.

That said, Ampadu is going to be very very good.