English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Excellent news.

And another mention of him being strongly in consideration for a call up in March and this time from one of the more reliable sources for FA stories (The Telegraph, Times and Athletic are the three that always seem to be well sourced and keep away from rumours and speculation most of the time.)

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #4602 AJ123, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Rice, Maddison, Belllingham?

McTominay has alway been good for a few goals here and there but as a midfielder he seriously lacks in crucial qualities that any top team would want. Most significantly his passing is absolutely dreadful, see his stats below.

https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/scout/12192/Scott-McTominay-Scouting-Report

United were by far the better side last night but in most games recently United has been dominated in midfield by sides like Everton! Not sure what that says about Chelsea's £220m centre midfield. I'm also not sure what McTominay's prowess in the box says about Hojlund as McT looks a better striker than him when it comes to instincts around goal.

Which role would you like to see him in for England?

Chelsea are in a mess but United are now 3 points behind City. United haven't drawn a game in the league this season so has lost a lot but also won a lot. I think this is perhaps giving the impression that things are worse than they are in terms of league position. Ratcliffe has some good names in lined up to give United a modern football hierarchy when he takes over so I think there are cautious grounds for optimism.

horrisengleton and Regis Prograis repped this.
  3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Bellingham is not currently playing in the PL.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He plays for England though. Not sure why playing in the PL is relevant here?

roverman repped this.
  5. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Let's ignore the fact that, goals apart, McTominay was as mundane as the rest of the players on show last night. Contrary to what you and much of social media believe, you have to do more than score or assist in successive games to suddenly join the Premier League's elite or, in the case of people like Ward-Prowse, merit an England call-up.

roverman, AJ123 and horrisengleton repped this.
  6. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    McTominays goals are masking over the other aspects of his game right now. Pretty much a third of his total PL goals have come in the last 8 games. As mentioned above his passing stats are awful, he'll stay in the Utd team while he's producing goals, but he'll be hooked as soon as this dries up or they revert to the norm, any team aspiring to be elite (like England or United) can't afford a passenger like that.

roverman, horrisengleton and AJ123 repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Archie Gray -

“It’s good to learn different perspectives of the game,” Gray says. “Playing right-back is allowing me to understand the game even more for when I go back into midfield. You see players like James Milner playing different positions every game.

“If I become anywhere near as good as him it would be unbelievable. I think my best position will be as a box-to-box midfielder but, as the game is changing, you have to be increasingly adaptable.”

Until Gray turns 18 he must use a separate changing room from the first-team squad owing to safeguarding regulations. “It’s crazy getting changed by yourself but then running out to play with your teammates,” he says. “It is what it is, but as soon as I turn 18 I can’t wait to be around the lads a bit more.”

As a young child Gray was influenced by Zinedine Zidane and Lionel Messi and says his mum, Giorgina, and Real Madrid’s Jude Bellingham are among his biggest inspirations now.

“My mum works unbelievably hard; she runs marathons and trains every single day,” he says. “Bellingham is definitely a player I look up to because he’s doing amazingly well. He’s shown there’s a pathway with the England system and he won’t be the last one to do it. Hopefully in the future that can happen for me too.”

Gray’s younger brother Harry, a 15-year-old striker, plays for Leeds’s academy and for England at youth level. “I wouldn’t tell him this myself, but it’s my dream to play with Harry one day,” says Gray. “I just don’t know how we’d get along in training as we’re so competitive in everything we do and always have been. We’d have to be on the same team but as brothers we’re really close.”

Deeply grounded but fiercely ambitious, Gray says: “My childhood dream was to win the Champions League with Leeds, captain England at senior level and win a Ballon d’Or. I’m still really young, so there’s a long way to go before any of that happens. But I believe I’ve got the ability to do it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...am-was-to-win-the-champions-league-with-leeds

roverman, JAMC_, hussar and 7 others repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    English born Scottish U21 Tommy Conway scores for Bristol City.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Omari Hutchinson scores for Ipswich.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Not the best argument in that article to entice a player. Come and be our third choice CF for a tournament that is a month away from starting. You will also miss part of your best scoring PL season ever.

roverman repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It feels unlikely he would do so when he is getting closer and closer to an England call up.

roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    How do you get sell-on clause from a loan deal. Thats mental.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Sounds like because they tried to ill quite late in the window to keep him at Man United and then tried other English clubs firet Getafe had a lot of leverage to walk away if they didn’t agree.

roverman repped this.
  18. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Hats off to Getafe. They're not paying a loan fee. They earn 20% of any fee, if Greewood is sold on at the end of the season. And they will only have to pay 80% of the fee, if they make his loan permanent. That's a canny bit of business, for basically being a glorified shop window.

roverman repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

roverman repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    BBC radio talking about if Southgate and Holland wonder what if about Musiala and England.

21. Flying Columnist

Villa
    Aug 30, 2020
    Where's this lad born ?
    The accent is obviously northern England, the flag is Irish, but internet suggests Irish born also.

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Probably grew up In England

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Very little is known about his case at the moment. That SecretScout account did an interview with him. They have asked prospects about international team plans before but didn’t on that occasion.

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I’ve just checked the GRO birth index and I’ve found him - he was Born in Manchester.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021