English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's hard to find the numbers specifically for Jamaica. They're not in the top ten, but then the Tories let in 1.2 million people last year, so that might not matter.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    There was 160 thousand Jamaican born people in the Uk according to the 2011 census and some figures say that has been reduced to 130k. Looking at the figures I’d say about 1500- 2000 Jamaicans moved to the UK last year and about 400 got long term settlement.

edcalvi repped this.
  3. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Migration patterns are shifting and Jamaicans are no longer as common among migrants to the UK as they once were. As noted already, Jamaica has fallen out of the top 10 sources of migrants to the UK. At the same time, Jamaican migration to the USA and Canada has increased - these two are now the most common destinations for Jamaicans leaving the country, the UK is a distant third today.

There are still Jamaicans going to the UK every year in some capacity (a fraction gaining permanent residence), I'd guess around 5000 each year, so the well will likely never be totally dry, but the days of each England youth team fielding 6 or 7 Jamaica-eligible players will definitely tail off (it'll be more like 2 or 3).

AJ123 repped this.
  4. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    1500 in 2021, and that number is on a downward trend. There are more of course arriving each year who don't get citizenship in that given year, but the flow is definitely slowed a lot.

https://jis.gov.jm/just-over-19000-jamaicans-migrated-to-the-usa-canada-and-uk-in-2021/

5. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Obi is another one the FA messed up with. Actually chose to play for England ahead of Denmark in an Under-16 tournament this year and they proceeded to give him zero minutes over three games so unsurprisingly he just went back to Denmark! You have to wonder what the coaches are thinking sometimes with this behaviour. Would have been better off not picking him at all. Anyway now played UEFA qualifiers with Denmark so tied to them for a while. Obi and O'Riley we could have lost to them through flawed selection choices.

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That’s pretty poor. And quite unusual to get zero minutes over a three match camp at that level.

7. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I’m of the opinion youth coaches shouldn’t be able to pick the squads for our youth national teams, I think it should be done by an independently appointed group within the FA who don’t have the same short-term, selfish outlook that the majority of coaches (fairly understandably) have. I know Obi was picked but not used but even that the coach should not have been able to do imo.

8. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I don’t think he is eligible for us at all( competitively anyway) until he reaches age of 18 and has been granted British citizenship.

9. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Any competitive game for Denmark at any level might even put an end to that.

10. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    He didn't get zero minutes. He came off the bench in the first two games & was probably due to start the final game (which was actually against Denmark) but he got injured.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Doubt it. Siriki and Karamoko moved up to Scotland before Karamoko's first birthday, and Hassan's five or six years younger.

AJ123 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't know Tony Dorigo's mother's ancestry but apparently he qualified purely because he was able to get a British passport some time after moving to England when he was 15. Could have played for any of the home nations, which is the same way that Pat van den Hauwe ended up playing for Wales despite having zero connection (being a Belgian who'd moved to England and become a naturalised Brit).

roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sorry, correcting myself: apparently van den Hauwe's mother was English, so he wasn't solely Belgian. No links to Wales though.

roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Will Antoine Semenyo turn into a bit of a loss. Playing well for Bournemouth now.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's doing OK but he's not played a full 90 minutes for Bournemouth this season and fulfils a late sub role for Ghana so I'd go with no.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  16. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Fireburn seriously mate go see a shrink you seem to have a real hang up about players that would never get near England's squad playing for others

hussar repped this.
  17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who is yet to complete a deal to take over football operations at Manchester United, is already in discussions about the future of the club's on-loan English forward Mason Greenwood, 22. (Caught Offside)

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    West Ham, Burnley and Sheffield United are set to compete for Derby's 22-year-old English defender Eiran Cashin. (Teamtalk)

Has played for Republic of Ireland youth teams.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    ‘Which club country will win the race to sign Tino?
    We’re within a month from the opening of the January transfer window. How exciting!

We’re all well versed in the idea of players being in demand from several clubs, but what about when the demand comes from national teams?

The draw for Euro 2024 in Germany next summer was made on Saturday evening – just before kick-off at St James’ Park – and Tino Livramento went on to pass his latest audition to ‘make the plane’ for the tournament.

In this case, the big question is where he’ll be catching his plane from rather than where he’s going.

The 21-year-old is eligible for three countries that featured in Saturday’s draw. There is a family link to Portugal, while Scotland have enquired about Livramento’s future, a path they have sought recently (Scotland’s current first-choice goalkeeper Angus Gunn was a regular for England’s youth setup right through to under-21 level).

You may well have guessed now that the third option is England, where Livramento, like Gunn, has picked up caps from under-15s through to the under-21s.

The player himself was relaxed about the situation in November, saying “there’s no rush to make any decision”. That was ahead of playing for England Under-21s as they continue their qualification campaign for the European Under-21 Championship in 2025.

But these days, international youth football can also mean little if a country you’re happy to represent comes calling with a big opportunity.

The key point here is that, after a year out following a torn ACL, Livramento is returning to the performance levels that saw him earn rave reviews in the Premier League for Southampton during the 2021-22 campaign.

He’s even doing it at left-back, covering the opposite flank to his natural side for injury-hit Newcastle while team-mate and England defender Kieran Trippier continues to excel on the right.

Southgate may need to give him a call before someone else does.’

From the Athletic

20. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    So many words, so little insight. What is this journalist saying that we haven't said ourselves on the forum countless times?

Fireburn47 repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It didn't take long for The Athletic to end up like all the other outlets.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I can’t find that article on their site anymore so maybe the editor realised there’s very little context and pointless!

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    To be fair the way Livramento handles interviews is what leads to these articles. He's said before that he'd be happy to play for any of England, Scotland or Portugal while indicating that England are his first choice but not emphatically. In his last interview he said Scotland haven't approached his agent yet which could be interpreted as an invite.

We saw the same with Balogun and I recall Dennis Cirkin saying he'd be happy to play for Latvia or Ireland as well as England. In contrast, as far as I'm aware Anthony Gordon hasn't ever said anything like that about Scotland or Ireland. Chukwuemeka was also asked recently if he'd play for Nigeria and said that he qualifies for them but is focused on making it with England.

Fireburn47 and Inter Row Z repped this.
  24. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    #4574 Inter Row Z, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    What the blazes has happened to Chukwuemeka? I predicted at the start of the season that him and Livramento would be the break-out stars of this campaign and he's made me out to look a right chump.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's injured. Suffered a set back in recovery in mid-October.

Inter Row Z repped this.