English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope not but I'm not sure any more. It's clear that United want to have him back, and have only ever delayed his return because of fan backlash. If that wanes with time, I can see him back for United, and from there it's not far back into the England team, especially if the coach changes a couple of times.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Depends what Sir Jim and Ineos want. It will be them in charge of that.

3. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I definitely agree his chances of a United return are now much higher but I do like to think that an England recall would be met with too much resistance. Like you say time may wane people's outrage but I think by then he'll have probably already declared for Jamaica.

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Scouts from several Premier League clubs have been watching Getafe's 22-year-old English striker Mason Greenwood. (AS - in Spanish)

Still think any PL return will be quite controversial.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  6. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Hard to recruit those guys with loose connections unless you're willing to do what the USA do and offer them a big role in your senior setup early on.

In terms of Chido Obi I don't know how likely he is to pick us over Denmark but I think you can argue that out of every English eligible player not currently in our setup he's the most important of them all given how scarce top strikers are.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Chido Obi’s links to England seem very tenuous though. Trying to think of a player to play for England with somewhat similar links. Tony Dorigo is the one that sticks out in my mind.

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's played for England at youth level though. With Dorigo his mum was Australian which most likely means very recent English ancestry. When he was born Australia still had free movement with the UK and was seen as an extension of Britain.

9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    How is he even eligible for us?

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    According to the man himself she didn’t have any recent English ancestry,

roverman repped this.
  11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    John Barnes was 12 when he moved to England so not that much younger than he was.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Residency.

horrisengleton repped this.
  13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He said he didn't have any English parentage as far as I can see but then Australia, certainly in those days, was a 'British' country. English grandparents maybe?

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t think he even is eligible yet.

horrisengleton repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wasn’t thinking of Barnes. Probably the most similar comparison. Obi was a bit older though and impressing in football tournaments before moving here.

16. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Simms seems realistic. The Ramseys do not but it can't hurt to ask.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #4542 Fireburn47, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    The Ramsey’s will be a test of patience vs playing in a tournament now. Who knows what they decide.

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No chance with the Ramseys

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Don't understand why they don't just invest in youth policy instead of going after dual players all the time

20. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, I'd imagine they'd want to do both.

roverman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    But eventually the well will run dry. English players with Jamaican heritage will eventually be one parentage too far

22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think most of the duals here already only qualify by the granny rule already so the well will run dry sooner rather later. That's all the more incentive to make the most of it while they can though.

roverman repped this.
  23. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    OK, and? Why would that stop them from wanting to do both things while they can? I don't get the logic.

Also, efforts are being made on both ends:

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly...t-coach-initiative-to-elevate-local-football/

I've been screaming for a national academy program like this for over a decade, and it's finally happening thanks to FIFA. Hopefully we can build on this and see real benefits in 10-15 years. Jamaica's domestic talent pool has way more potential than it is currently showing (as evidenced by the quality of English-Jamaicans) - it is initiatives like these that will help get it closer to that potential so we can start producing more Toneys and Ramseys at home.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The establishment parties are so radically pro-mass migration that I don't see the well running dry any time soon. It'll probably start overflowing, if anything.

roverman repped this.
  25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't think current immigration from Jamaica is very high? It's mostly been from India, Nigeria, Ukraine and Hong Kong.