English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    #351 JTay, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    is it different story? You can't nominate a player provisionally capped by another. He has to apply for 1 time switch and he has to agree to commit to dfb.

roverman repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Its up to the player now

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--

This seems to be the source. I'm still somewhat sceptical that he'll switch. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all coming from his agent, trying to provoke a call-up from Southgate. If the switch was on then I'm not sure why anyone would be leaking information about it.

roverman repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    pretty much, if he turns down dfb than he commits to England and if he decides to play for dfb than he's committed there. End of day people want committed players over talent.

also Florian Plettenberg said,
    My feeling: 51/49 for DE

which fits "tending"

roverman repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Surely they would need to start to transfer the switch to Germany now via FIFA off course, which has been known to take some time if memory serves me right, unless the process has been streamlined because if Low and Bierhoff plan to meet him in February then I would think it would be unlikely for him to be available by the March games if he accepts a Germany call up.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He chooses England or he chooses Germany. One way or another we'll find out

8. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    He has a German mother, was born in Germany and plays in Germany. His only link is being here for some time growing up. I think its safe to say its over.

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Me too. Like I said Germany are not awash with top quality attacking talent. Werner and havertz have been poor. Then there's only sane and gnabry. He has a far better chance with Germany getting regular football right now than facing sterling sancho rashford grealish maddison foden or even players like odoi

10. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Germany will always be at a top level, always competitive. I don't think they desperately need him. It's just smart to put the pressure on, he is potentially a WC player. Let's face it this is top level sport. If a more aggressive attitude gets you great player Its worth it. Maybe we win the moral argument by being gentlemanly and honorable, not calling him to cap him, but in all honesty I would have much rather we had the player.

roverman repped this.
  11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's never shown any indication of favouring Germany so far.

roverman repped this.
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    This is it. If you just told me the facts of his life, I'd assume that we'd have no chance, but he's accepted England call-ups when he had every opportunity of playing for Germany. I think it's safe to assume that he feels some affinity for England or at least for his teammates.

13. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Yeah I know Jenks and that's why these reports surprised me, but when I stop and think about it his links to Germany are very strong.

This is why in future I have to stop myself getting too excited with dual nationals these underage caps don't mean anything at all.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This could be the first time where we could potentially lose some really promising players in a short period of time, the thought of losing Musiala, Musah and Noni ( even though I don’t expect this tbh but the stories are around ) in a short period will probably weaken our U21’s for the next cycle. Maybe they look at the already young seniors and think it’s going to be tough to get in?

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I was saying this a few days ago. The three m's could be hugely damaging if we lost them

16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    We’ll just have to slum it with Rashford, Saka, Sancho, Grealish, Hudson Odoi, Sterling, Mount, Foden and Elliot.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well yeah, you could also probably add Maddison, Barnes, Eze and Greenwood to the mix for our attacking options but I was really alluding to the U21’s in the short term but others will take advantage I’m sure.

roverman repped this.
  18. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019

Always ignore Bild, they're awful.

roverman repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Does Bild really know what is going on? One minute they say he’s more drawn to Germany and the next he’s more drawn to England because he speaks better English. Geez!

This is becoming as tiresome than the whole Grealish and Rice saga!

roverman repped this.
  20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    We've pretty much always heard the same kind of thing. His heritage is more German, but due to spending his formative years in England, speaking better English, all of his friends being English etc. he identifies more with England than Germany.

The pressure from inside the club is a bit of a worry though, you would hope that he knows when to tell them to give it a rest. Any party that tries to rush a player to choose one way or the other obviously doesn't have their best interests at heart.

All else being equal I think he picks England. I think Musah would too. I suppose there being a more difficult route into the England squad at the moment is a nice problem to have however.

TopBanana10, Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Also consider that Southgate is more secure in the England job than low is with Germany. If he is sacked as German coach then who can say whether the successor will see musiala as someone who will be in the German full team currently rather than the future

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just hope he makes the decision that he wants to do and comes from the heart and what feels right to him and not pressured into the wrong move due to peer pressure from
    either side even though you don’t hear much noise from the English side other than Southgate calling him a few times.

23. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    If his decision was purely made on who has a better chance of winning a tournament, I honestly think England are In a better position at this specific moment in time. That's not to say that Germany are suddenly bad or that they aren't going to come good very soon (we all know they turn up at every tournament regardless of form).
    But if the euros started tomorrow, I believe England have got a better batch of players and a nice mixture of younger and experienced players in order to progress.
    That's just my opinion.

roverman repped this.
  24. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    His decision should be with, who he feels more affinity and connection with period.