English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea's Ben Elliott has been called up by Cameroon at senior level.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ridiculous

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Even though it does seem a bit wild but I don’t think it will hurt us. I mean I don’t think he’s played for our age groups since U16 level and he’s 20 now. Cameroon like most African Counties are now really targeting Dual players aggressively these days.

roverman repped this.
  4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    To be honest I don't even remember him so Marcho is most likely right.

roverman repped this.
  5. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Chelsea's Genesis Antwi has been called up to a Sweden U16 training camp. Played for England at the same level last year.

Juni repped this.
  6. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think traveling half way across the world appeals to him. He's also unlikely to get another chance with England under Southgate. He turned down England call ups to concentrate on his united career. The ship has sailed

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think there's any chance on Earth that Southgate would call up Greenwood.

roverman repped this.
  9. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I'd still call him up, personally. Call me old fashioned but I was always brought up to believe that you are entitled to a fair trial and if you are found innocent, that should be the end.

If he's innocent, why can't he be picked?

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Why would anyone think he was innocent? There has been no trial. We heard the recording. The only reason he's free to walk the streets is because the girl wouldn't cooperate with the police.

hussar, roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  11. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'm all for the innocent and until proven guilty. But the recordings are very damning. Also he didn't really give a shit about England anyway. On his first senior callup he was more interested in getting his leg over and then turned down every u21 callup after that. I doubt he'll play for Utd again nevermind England.

hussar, roverman and Jenks repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't think that Greenwood was ducking call ups as such. It was agreed with Southgate that he would stay at the club because they knew there were issues there with him in his personal life. Southgate gave quite a cryptic interview about it one time which enraged United fans but made sense after.

13. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I find it interesting that she's now pregnant with his baby and is back with him.
    Does this not insinuate that the charges were fabricated?

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    She's pregnant so she decided she needs him as a meal ticket

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not really

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #2916 Gaz811, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Fabricated? Have you heard any of the recordings? The charges have been dropped because shes refusing to testify against him.

Jenks and roverman repped this.
  17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think you're being hard on her. If she wanted to she could milk the situation and make a load of money that way. She probably still cares for him and love makes people do stupid things especially when you are young.

Athlone and roverman repped this.
  18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It’s actually following a common pattern of domestic abuse.

Chesco United, dbs235, hussar and 2 others repped this.
  19. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    there was also other new evidence as well as her refusing to testify

20. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    I don't think she could make as much as you think she might public interest would fade quite quickly as she's not a celeb and he is still a minor footballer

roverman repped this.
  21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Come on her story would be on every front page. As for him being a minor footballer, all they have to do is put "ex England footballer" in the headline.

22. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Yeah it’s a one off payment Greenwood will play again and will be highly paid for doing so, he’ll earn more for them than she’d get

23. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I think it's the right decision. England seems permanently off the table. The negative stigma of what he did just seems too strong for a full England international to weather, not sure even strong EPL form would save him (and that's assuming he even gets to play EPL ball again - this isn't a given right now). But that doesn't mean flying across the world right now to go play for Jamaica in the Gold Cup makes sense.

Personally, I don't know that he particularly cares for the concept of representing Jamaica or feels especially strongly about it. But let's assume, for the sake of illustration, that he did feel that way. Even then, now isn't the right time. The man is just recently 21 coming off a massive, nearly career-ending incident, and has no idea precisely how his footballing career will continue. He'll almost certainly play professionally going forward, but where? Which clubs will embrace the PR storm/just not care about it? If none of them are in England, how far does he have to travel? Turkey? Poland? Middle East? East Asia? And how do things end with United? Maybe they don't actually end, and he's back in the first team somehow? But whats the path to that (if it exists)? Way too many questions.

Also, there's now a baby on the way (due in summer, which further solidifies the case against playing for Jamaica, because that's when the Gold Cup that they're calling him up for will be held).

He needs to fix his life, mature as a human, and get his career back on solid footing before international football even begins to enter his mind again.

Also: I'm of the opinion that he'd definitely have been cooked if his girlfriend had remained determined to cooperate with the prosecution. But she is in love, and can't imagine life with anyone else, so she shut down the investigation and chose to take the next step with him (family formation) instead. It's not the first time a tale of domestic abuse has ended this way. Hopefully the whole saga encourages better behaviour and there are no further incidents from him. These are still very young people, they can grow up and improve themselves.

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    United have been releasing stuff in the press with a view to having him play for them again. The ideas proposed were that he'd have be interviewed about it, show contrition whilst accepting long term counselling. You could argue that keeping him at United with the level of care they'd provide would likely result in better outcomes for partner and child than if they all flew off to Turkey or wherever and he faces no consequences for his actions. There's also a broader moral question if someone in his position can be rehabilitated whilst the situation is complicated by him being innocent by British law. There will obviously be a lot of objections from women's groups if a serious move to bring him back to United's first team squad is made.

On his international future, personally I think he probably holds some hope of playing for England again one day. I think it's unlikely but not impossible. It would be contingent on him genuinely changing as a person and making amends in a sincere and committed way. That said, there's no chance Southgate calls him up in the next few years.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ex-England youth keeper Luke Southwood called up to Northern Ireland’s senior squad. He’s actually already been capped previously. Missed that.