England Women's Team Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wiegman is going to run these players into the ground. The schedule is completely ridiculous but you must at some point use your squad players. She will I bet play a similar team against the Dutch.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Would be intriguing to see this team. Parkinson and Brown looked interesting (although they struggled physically) playing in this age group last season.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Of course she will. I doubt she will rotate to much. She genuinely wants to make the Olympics and win gold.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    and she barely uses the bench again when starters are obviously tired. There are plenty of options in the squad that could have come in from the start or from the bench.

M and Fireburn47 repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Kelly for Toone was the only player subbed on Friday. It feels like she only trusts about 17/18 players (Counting those absent for injures) and the others are just making up the numbers only to be used in desperation or in low risk matches.

7. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Lionesses Keeper Training .

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Russo looks like shes running in sand.

11. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    England sleep walking to defeat.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    A very poor performance through most of the match.

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I can't remember the last time I was so angry watching any England team.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I sat through the Awful Australia friendly in April. That was worse.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    One of the most obvious offside goals I’ve seen in a long while for the Dutch first goal. If they aren’t going to have VAR in all games then why have it at all?

This is similar to the Australia game. The team are just exhausted and that means making silly errors. Both goals involve poor individual play that probably doesn’t happen if players are rested. I think we have to be realistic about performances if you are going to run players into the ground. Players like Charles, Morgan, Park, Coombs, Le Tissier have all played to a good standard and really should be getting game time.

I think an issue arising now with this team is the forward role. If Russo doesn’t improve her hold up and link play the team will really suffer. She hasn’t got the pace to be an option that stretches play/gets in behind, so needs to be a target type forward. She’s great inside the box but needs to offer more in the role.

Gaz811 repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #1466 Fireburn47, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    No money for VAR it seems which is quite poor when I think all men’s qualifiers now have it. I wonder if it could return for the next few matches. Are they going to play at Wembley without it?

And it’s so predictable that so few subs are made and so obvious much of the bench is not trusted at all. Because of the nature of the nations league every single position has a different result (1st - of to the finals 2nd - stay in league A - 3rd - playoff to stay in league A. 4th relegation to League B) every match will likely matter so it will be the first choice players every Match. Even if making the finals gets removed as an option by the last match it’s likely to still be a battle between two places and because unlike the Men’s the Women’s nations league will have a big role in Euro 2025 qualifying getting relegated will be an option all attempts to avoid will be taken (Unlike the Men last year for example.)

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Who knows. Seems farcical to have it at the finals but not in other competitive games. The quality of refereeing in the women’s game is pretty awful. So, you can even get burned on very obvious offsides. That one tonight is not even close. Same happened with our loss to Australia.

You can still make changes to your XI without decimating the team. The team are tired and making errors. They have played large spells of the last games on almost auto pilot because of this. Same thing happened in that spell last season during the Brazil/Australia games. Greenwood tonight was like watching Leah Williamson against Australia in that loss.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    The Dutch are marvelous

I hope Jackie G is OK

I love the fact that they put her on Tooney.

She did good on her as well

Sarina with the strategy change was mercurial !!

Dutch are back.

England played well in the second half.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    English starters and used and unused subs in the WSL opening day

Aston Villa
    Starters, Sarah Mayling, Anna Patten, Danielle Turner, Lucy Parker, Lucy Staniforth, Laura Blindkilde Brown, Rachel Daly.
    Used subs - Ebony Salmon, Jordan Nobbs.
    Unused subs - Olivia McLoughlin, Georgia Mullett, Maz Pacheco

Man United
    Starters - Mary Earps, Hannah Blundell, Maya Le Tissier, Millie Turner, Gabby George, Katie Zelem, Ella Toone, Leah Galton,
    Used Subs - Nikita Parris, Rachel Williams
    Unused Subs - Evie Rabjohn

Everton
    Starters - Emily Ramsey, Megan Finnigan
    Used subs - Emma Bissell, Toni Duggan
    Unused subs - Annie Wilding, Alyssa Aherne

Brighton
    Starters - Sophie Baggaley, Katie Robinson, Poppy Pattinson
    Used subs - Maisie Symonds
    Unused subs - Katie Startup,

Arsenal
    Starters - Lotte Wubben - Moy, Alessia Russo
    Used subs - N/A
    Unused subs - N/A

Liverpool
    Starters - Rachael Laws, Gemma Bonner, Grace Fisk, Taylor Hinds, Missy Bo Kearns, Miri Taylor
    Used subs - Mia Enderby, Lucy Parry, Natasha Flint
    Unused subs - N/A

Bristol City
    Starters - Fran Bentley, Brooke Aspin, Naomi Layzell,
    Used subs - Jess Simpson, Emily Syme, Mari Ward,
    Unused subs - Jasmine Bull,

Leicester City
    Starters - Sam Tierney, Aimee Palmer, Aileen Whelan, Shannon O’Brien, Missy Goodwin
    Used subs - N/A
    Unused subs - Monique Robinson, Ava Baker, Holly Mears

West Ham
    Starters - Shannon Cooke, Abbey - Leigh Stringer, Melisa Fills,
    Used subs - Anouk Denton, Keira Flannery, Emma Harries
    Unused subs - Princess Ademilyul

Man City
    Starters - Khiara Keating, Alex Greenwood, Chloe Kelly, Lauren Hemp
    Used subs - N/A
    Unused subs - Ellie Roebuck, Steph Houghton, Laura Coombs, Esme Morgan, Jess Park, Ruby Mace

Chelsea
    Starters - Millie Bright, Jess Carter, Niamh Charles, Lauren James
    Used Subs - Fran Kirby
    Unused subs - N/A

Spurs
    Starters - Molly Bartrip, Ashleigh Neville, Grace Clinton
    Used Subs - Asmita Ale, Jessica Naz, Kit Graham
    Unused Subs - Any Turner, Gracie Pearse

Hannah Hampton notable by her absence entirely from the Chelsea squad. Transfer window is now shut and Chelsea’s other two World Cup going goalkeepers are still there as well.

Also interesting that Khiara Keating started ahead of Ellie Roebuck for Man City. Laura Coombs, Esme Morgan and Jess Park all also got no minutes for Man City and Jordan Nobbs only came on deep in injury time for Aston Villa. Everyone else who called up last week and is in the WSL started. Lucy Bronze started for Barcelona as well but Keira Walsh is still out injured. Bayern play again tomorrow. Great to see Fran Kirby back from such a long lay off. Wonder if she will back in the squad soon?

Inter Row Z repped this.
  21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don’t get coach Endevell contract extension?; on paper, Arsenal should have the strongest club in the world, instead it’s completely under achieved, and this includes when they’re injury free. Getting eliminated this quick from the Champions League should have been the final omen. But I guess finding qualified woso coaches is an hard thing to find

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    How good is Leah Galton, would she be a boost to the first team or would she just be making up the numbers?

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    She is quite good I think but I don’t think she would start ahead of the current forwards used.

AJ123 repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Man City v Cheslea and there is no sign anywhere of Ellie Roebuck or Hannah Hampton.