England vs Spain match thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Mikey10, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The idiot has named his squad.

Paul Robinson - Tottenham Hotspur
    David James - Manchester City
    Chris Kirkland - Liverpool

Ashley Cole - Arsenal
    Matt Upson - Birmingham City
    Wayne Bridge - Chelsea
    John Terry - Chelsea
    Jamie Carragher - Liverpool
    Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United
    Gary Neville - Manchester United
    Phil Neville - Manchester United

Jermaine Jenas - Newcastle United
    David Beckham - Real Madrid
    Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich
    Nicky Butt - Newcastle United
    Joe Cole - Chelsea
    Frank Lampard - Chelsea
    Shaun Wright Phillips - Manchester City

Wayne Rooney - Manchester United
    Alan Smith - Manchester United
    Michael Owen - Real Madrid
    Jermain Defoe - Tottenham Hotspur

2. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    No huge surprises. No place for Downing though.

Is Ledley King injured?

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes.

4. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has the Spanish squad been named yet?

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dissapointed with Sven for not picking Downing also I believe C.Cole should get a
    call up soon (imo are 5th striker)

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cole is out of form at Villa and his professional attitude seems like it still needs improving. If he starts playing well again and scoring goals, and joins Villa permanently or goes back to Chelsea and gets games, then he could be worth a callup. Until then it's too early and not necessary.

Downing has been playing really well for Boro, but it's apparent when watching him that although he has a lot of talent he could do with a bit more time to develop out of the senior team spotlight. If he gets that and impresses with the U-21's then he should be called up, not before.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh yeah, I can't believe Phil Neville is in the squad. Surely with Carragher and Hargreaves we did not need another defensively minded utility player- and at left back surely J'Loyd Samuel should have got his chance ahead of a proven mong.

Other than his now customary good game against Arsenal, gimp jr has barely played this season. Surely he should not be in there any more. Once again Sven shows far too much faith in someone who should have been chopped a good 2 years ago.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    We don't need to rush Downing. We have a settled midfield now and it is virtually inconceivable that he will force his way into the first team by 2006. He is better off in the U21s for now.

9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Helguera and Puyol have been ruled out through injury.

Does anyone know if this game is available in the US on PPV?

10. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    There is no point holding these players back .Might as well get them straight into the team if they're good enough .Sven didnt hesitate to throw Rooney into the team .I think Downing could be a very useful player for us.

11. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    The Lineup That I Want To See:

-------------kirkland/robinson-----------

Neville-----ferdinand---terry-------cole

-----swp--------lampard-----becks-------

------------------rooney------------------

--------------owen-----defoe-------------

I'd Like To See Becks On The Left Cuz He Has Proved That He Can Provide With His Left And He Can Also Get Into Better Shooting Positions (like Vs Wales).

12. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    This would be my choice:

------------Kirkland-------------
    --Neville---Rio---Terry-----Cole--
    SWP-Hargreaves-Lampard-Bridge-
    ------------Rooney-------------
    -------------Owen--------------

I'm playing Kirkland, as it's a friendly, to try and establish him as second choice keeper, so we don't have to put James on the bench.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I can't find where the game is available in the USA...anyone...?

14. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    This would be my lineup once Gerrard comes back.

Robinson (although he sucks too, England have none that good)
    G. Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Beckham Gerrard Lampard Jenas
    Defoe Owen

I'd like Glen Johnson to start for England regularly now. Neville is too old to play in the next World Cup...better start playing the youngster Sven.
    Hopefully another goalkeeper emerges next season.
    I'd prefer to go with a 4-4-2: Defoe and Owen would be my choice. Rooney...I just don't like.

For the left midfield spot, that's going to be a problem for quite awhile. You guys may think Downing is the answer, but he's way too one dimensional. He doesn't have a right feet.

15. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Yes but he does have a left "feet" which always comes in handy for a left winger (funny that). How can you say this after all these years without a recognised left winger (or left footer for that) a young talented one come along and you go on about his right foot! Now I admit he is young and inexperienced to start becoming an England regular but why not give him a game to test the water so to speak.

Actually I think I will sig you for this.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a complete load of bilge this post is.

For one thing Robinson has been excellent all season, with his only disappointing game coming last weekend and after he has experienced the breakup of his marriage, something of a distraction. As for "noone that good", I think you'll find Kirkland and Green are more than fine in terms of talent.

To say Rooney "I just don't like". Yeah, the most gifted player in the team, best performer for us in Euro 2004 and has been class right from his debut.

As for Downing, if you'd actually seen him play you'd realise he does indeed have a right foot and frequently cuts inside and shoots with it to good effect. The Lazio game is the latest one which springs to mind where he showed this. People can question whether he is experienced or consistent enough, but to criticise his right foot shows you haven't watched him and have no clue.

Jog on captain moron, jog on.

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah ,give the d1ck an address to a kabaddi messageboard or something...

18. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Tell me this again if England win World Cup 2006.

The most gifted player in the England team is Steven Gerrard. Obviously, you've believed into the hyping of Rooney too. Just watch, one bad tournament and you'll call for his head. As for our left sided problems, England will need to one day find a youngster that is world class...in the mold of Reyes, Vincente, and Robben. Downing maybe good right now, but he doesn't have the physicque or the potential to be world class. It's just England over hyping their younsters as usual.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a load of crap. Where are the posts saying Downing is already world class?? And pray tell me how exactly you know that Downing won't be able to do the job when he hasn't even been capped yet and is enjoying an excellent season with Boro? You're the clown who thinks he doesn't have a right foot when anyone who has watched him knows its one of his strengths as a left winger.

As for the "hyping" of Rooney - he was fantastic in Euro 2004, he was superb in the Turkey games and has averaged better than 1 in 2 in terms of goals for England. His achievements even as a teenager speak for themselves. If he has a bad tournament in the future, which shows no sign of happening, then of course people will want other options explored. No player is undroppable, but the fact remains that while Rooney continues to look an excellent young player for England, which he has to date, then he will be recognised and praised as such. Deal with it or ************ off.

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Helguera and Puyol have been replaced by Pablo Orbaiz and Juanito, of which I would expect only Juanito to start.

Probable Spain lineup:

Casillas

Salgado
    Marchena
    Juanito
    del Horno

Joaquin
    Xavi
    Xabi Alonso
    Reyes

Raul
    Torres

I'm expecting Spain to lose, as England have a virtually full strength squad while Vicente, Baraja, Albelda, Valeron, Morientes, Puyol, and Helguera are missing for Spain.

21. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Rooney's good, but he's overrated. Especially with the 27 million ManU paid for him.

Just look at what other international players say about him. Real Madrid's Ivan Helguarre said that Rooney's overrated...he's getting too much praised, yet what has he won? One of the major flaws of Rooney's game is his temperament...he may very well cost England a big match with a silly sending off one day.

22. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    del Horno as left back. What's he like as a player? I've not really seen him before.

I expect from Eriksson's comments that he'll play 4-4-2 with Bridge and Cole for a half and try out the 4-3-3 in the other. Bridge has just come back from injury and Cole has been struggling after that Van Nistelrooy stamp, so I imagine at least one will have to be subbed off anyway.

I hope SWP gets his chance as a right-winger in this, although I think he could also do a job as a right forward in a 4-3-3.

23. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Asier del Horno was the best left-back in the Liga Primera last year, with the possible exception of Roberto Carlos (In fact, a number of Real Madrid fans see him as a potential long-term replacement for the Brazilian). He's very offensive-minded and has a strong shot, and has done well in critical games for Athletic Bilbao.

24. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL Rooney is 19 and up until joining Man Utd was playing for Everton, exactly how many trophies is he supposed to have won by now? Three world cup winners medals? A couple of Champions League medals? Sven dismissed those alleged comments from Helguera, which had been fluffed up by the press anyway. Helguera did not doubt Rooney's quality, just said that he should not be given so much publicity until after he had won something. Which bearing in mind he was referring to the tabloid media coverage, is fair enough, nobody thinks the tabloids approach anything properly.

As for the 27 million ManYoo paid for him. How is this relevant to the England National team dickhead? Who gives a toss how much they paid for him, which in any case is for a player who will be with them for at least 5 years and quite possibly a great deal longer? He may will prove to be worth every penny if he helps them to a Champions League final, which given his display on his Champions League debut is not impossible by any means.

25. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Your just an over zealest English supporter who can not find foot wrong in Rooney.

Look what Michael Owen did when he was between 18-21...lets see if Rooney can match that. Rooney just has a very good right foot, but apart from that...he can't create. You'll see this within time.