England vs. Moldova, World Cup Qual.: Friday 06/09/13, 20:00 Wembley Stadium, England[R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Sep 1, 2013.

1. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's shite in so many different ways!

The Potter and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First goal for England since a brace against Hungary in August of 2010.

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great finish, wasn't it...

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good tekkers on those goals. God knows what the keeper was doing for welbecks first though!

We should get at least a draw in Ukraine but it will be tough. No welbeck now as well. I liked barkley when he came on

7. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be tempted to start him if I was Roy. He he has the skill and keep the ball for us like Wilshere, and he is big and strong that he can get stuck in too! Could be useful because it's going to be a battle.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/07/roy-hodgson-england-danny-welbeck

The Manchester United forward scored twice in this rout of Moldova but only after the Slovakian official, Ivan Kruzliak, flashed a yellow card for playing on and shooting having been flagged for offside just before half-time. The assistant's call itself seemed borderline, though the striker's shot had been dispatched almost immediately after the whistle sounded.

Played Won Points
    England 7 4 15
    Montenegro 8 4 15
    Ukraine 7 4 14
    Poland 7 2 10

Hmmm... I wonder if there's some connection between Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine??? :cautious:

[​IMG]

Hmmm... let me think...

9. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Being neighbouring countries means they are more likely to be rivals. Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France hardly cheer for England do they?

You can criticise the Officials but let's not accuse them of being corrupt. Welbeck did clearly take the shot after the whistle had sounded. I've seen other players get penalised for the exact same thing, Andy Carroll vs Arsenal and Van Persie against Barcelona. Maybe Welbeck did not hear the whistle due to the crowd or maybe he just reacted slowly, but he did kick the ball after the whistle had sounded and this can be interpreted by Officials as time-wasting.

Welbeck got booked, he dealt with it. Now England must deal with it as well. No point whinging because we disagree with a card, it happened and we have to get on with it. Sometimes you get cards that are undeserved and sometimes you don't get cards when you should. It is part of football. Let's not whine, let's just go beat Ukraine.

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I want Carrick to start, just to make us a bit more solid.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You realise this is a football supporters board, right??? :eek: :D

I was being tongue in cheek, I thought that was obvious, tbh.

Nevertheless, it has to be said it would be easier to take if any of the OTHER players had been booked for fouls, some of them quite bad, including some by our fellas. To have THAT as the game's sole YC is a bit much. It's also easier to be understanding if the OTHER YC he got wasn't for 'diving' when he was being fouled and should have had a penalty.

12. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually there's a picture that shows him making contact with the ball almost simultaneously with the whistle. There was no conspiracy. The ref was just a numbnuts.

The best part of the whole thing was seeing Woy show some damn emotion as he screamed at the fourth official. Who knew he had so much fire? Hahahahahahahahahaha.

13. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we were going to play Gerard and Lampard together that was the match to do it. They were never going to press or put the midfield under any sort of pressure to keep the ball. Gerrard/Carrick/Wilshere or Carrick/Wilshere/Cleverley in the next match would be best IMO.

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I've seen the picture. It is rubbish. I've rewatched the incident on ITV. The sound of the whistle is clearly heard on TV and then Welbeck takes at least another 4 steps and then takes his shot.

Go check out 1.30 in the video below, it was quite clear. You can hear the whistle and then see Welbeck continue to run before taking the shot. The yellow card was regrettable, but let's not misrepresent the situation that actually occured. You can argue the yellow card was harsh, but let's judge it on what actually happened please.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/2...ification-uefa/match/england-moldova-3472151/

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The ref seems to blow his whistle twice and neither of them are more than 1 second before the shot. It's not harsh, it's ludicrous, particularly bearing in mind some of the tackles that SHOULD have had yellow cards.

The Potter repped this.