England vs Mexico; 24/05/2010: friendly pre-game thread

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by la fresa, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

england's provisional 30 man call-up:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), David James (Portsmouth), Rob Green (West Ham)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Man City), Michael Carrick (Man Utd), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

thoughts? predictions? i'm assuming that by then marquez,jona and franco will be with the team, can anyone confirm this? when will gio join? i haven't had the internet for a while now so i'm a bit out of the loop. either way, most of the names on this list don't impress me or strike me with much fear. not deserving of the world cup favorites title some have bestowed upon them.

that's for certain. we're coming off four games without conceding a goal. haven't even been tested much in defense for that matter. offense looked good today when cuah was in the game, and we could have (and should have) won the game by four or five goals.wonder how offensively we'll play in england, how the pitch will be. shit is getting serious now.

viva mexico.

2. americanista_76

americanista_76 New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Hawthorne
    Of all the opponents Mexico have played so far, England, surely will provide the greatest challenge to Mexico. Mexico needs to be intelligent when playing England. Mexico's pace will have to increase, capitalize on their opportunities and not make silly mistakes when playing against European powers.

That being said, I don't think it would be smart on Aguirre's part to start Cuau or Vendado. He needs to field a team that will resemble to that he will utilize on June 11th. Forza Mexico!

Everyone for Mexico and I everyone[/B will have to work hard to fight and recover every ball agains the English!

Finally, Viva Mexico!

3. RIVELINO_619

RIVELINO_619 New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    San Diego/Tijuana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It depends what kind of England we're gonna see, are we gonna see the England that plays quick and fast on the wings? with lennon, phillips, walcott, and cole out wide? or a more bunker down midfield battle with carrick, barry, lampard, gerrard?

for that reason, i think we'll see a mix from england. This lineup might be most effective i feel....

__________________________ochoa
    juarez___________moreno______________maza___________salcido

________________torrado______________castro

barrera____________________________________________guardado
    __________________________vela

________________________chicharito

we're not gonna out-muscle england, but we can sure as heck out-run them, and barrera, guardado, vela, and chicharo will no doubt keep the english mid and center defense chassing the ball.

moreno and maza, two big tall guys back there, will be most valuable in set peices, as long as rooney doesnt go 1v1 against any of them, i like maza and moreno's chances.

4. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I will be very surprised if Rooney plays at all; he of the groin strain and all.

5. teeno

teeno Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    replace chicharo w/ guille, and barrera w/ gio. moreno w/ marquez. then theres a chance for a win.

6. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hope SHREK from Manchesterville Shire break his legs. That hideous creature is dangerous :D

One word: DEFENSE

If we can keep them off the scoreboard (and hope to frustate them) and score one ourselves via counterattack then we're good. That's the most likely scenario IMO.

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The pitch has a hard under surface which causes problems with unpredictable bounce and cuts up the grass.
    Containing our attack on that pitch is very hard indeed.

8. RIVELINO_619

RIVELINO_619 New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    San Diego/Tijuana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Franco? What for? Listen, we ain't gonna out muscle England, especially not with Franco's lack of presence or pace.

Since Gio is just only now coming back into the setup, he'll see some action, but not as a starter, Medina perhaps over Barrera, but I'd love for it to be Barrera, he's a daring dribbler and quickly evasive; who will surely have a lot of 1v1's, and with England pressing up the pitch, in all his matches in Mexico and playing in South America, Barrera will have never seen so many green acres behind his markers... oh the possibilities.

Marquez was not missed at all during the wc qualifiers, and he wouldent be missed at all vs England or the world cup for that matter. He was never a quick player, but he always had good positioning, but with his lack of playing time; his timing and pace are way off. Plus with Moreno playing like he's played, I would not say Marquez has his spot assured....

9. diegodzki

diegodzki New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    First Chicharooney for the first time, Rivals but chicharooney!!! I want to see this game badly!! US broadcast time/channel?????

10. diegodzki

diegodzki New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
  11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I love the optimism of you guys but i think you'll find England at Wembley a much tougher proposition than Angola, Chile, Iceland etc...

Not sure exactly why Mexico would schedule England, Italy and Holland for their last 3 games before the world cup (Germany for example has scheduled Malta, Hungary and Bosnia)....as the chances of having confidence take a hit are pretty big IMO....on the other hand should Mexico survive that trio then their confidence will improve dramatically....so we'll see which way it goes.

England to win, comfortably, 3-0.

here is England's record at Wembley since Capello took over:

Played 12 Won 11 Drawn 1 Lost 0....G/F 38 G/A 9....

1 person likes this.
  12. Innawerkz

Innawerkz Member

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I can see that. England are exactly the type of team that Mexico struggles against - mainly because of set-pieces that England is so strong with. Add that Wembley stadium's pitch is the equivalent of a high school quality field and that will largely negate Mexico's pace & technical advantage.

As for why arrange all of these difficult games before the World Cup: Iron sharpens iron. I don't think a team will arrive to the world cup with a better sense of self than Mexico. Aguirre should have a really good idea how strong his team actually is and be able to adapt tactics accordingly.

After playing against Italy, England & Holland, do you think they will be ready for South Africa? Of course. After playing so many high level teams, a comparatively weak team like South Africa should get dismantled by a battle-tested Mexican team. At that point, any loss of morale that may have been there will immediately be replaced with confidence to challenge the rest of the group.

Makes perfect sense to me.

13. Gucci

Gucci BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 7, 2010
    The Gym
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    __________________________ochoa
    juarez___________moreno______________maza___________salcido

________________torrado______________marquez

vela____________________________________________guardado
    __________________________gio

________________________franco

14. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I like that with Barrera and Chicharito as subs

As for the time of this game, it sucks and I will probably be streaming from work FTL

15. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think we're ready to make a good showing in this match. It's a good match to have none the less, but I wouldn't expect us to win. Quite frankly, I'm just hoping we don't embarrass. Capello has this team playing better than they ever have in recent memory and Mexico, despite not having lost or conceded a goal, has looked sloppy. That kind of sloppiness won't be forgiven by a team of this caliber.

It's all gonna depend on who plays. If Aguirre decides he's gonna continue trying to weed out the bottom half of the roster and go with Bofo and company, then it could get ugly.

I can guarantee you that if England played their friendlies with positions 15-30 of their preliminary roster, it wouldn't be this sloppy. That is probably the biggest difference between the two sides.

The refs aren't going to call any marginal calls our way and with the way we've been challenging for the ball lately, we could end up with a player red carded.

If Gio, Vela, Franco and Cuah play significant minutes we should have some decent scoring opportunities.

16. SerenPerro

SerenPerro Member

Dec 14, 2007
    San Anto Texas
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. El_LatinLover

El_LatinLover BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Quote of the WEEK!!

[​IMG]

18. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Very good point. We are always asking for quality opponents since most of the time Mexico plays friendlies in the US against the usual suspects. Even then they struggle sometimes. This could be bad timing for to schedule games against the better teams, but it is definitely better preparation. We'll see how it goes.

19. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. Alva

Alva Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Naples, Fl
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :mad:. Nope, if we lose it won't be by three. This isn't the same team you played last time.

And we played those weaker teams with a weaker lineup.

21. Alfredo12

Alfredo12 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

exactly that is a pretty good line up without any old slow people including guille why do we even have him in the national team. They need to give the English defense something to worry about. good line up i would sub barrera for gio after

22. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    Oh blo-eey ell, we're playing at Wembly? Ya, all the English players were saying how facked the field conditions were. They should change it to Emirates stadium. Go Gunners.

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Too late to change it although they should....the bad news is there are two lower league play-off games (part of the promotion/relegation thing) there saturday AND sunday....the pitch will be a fcuking disgrace by monday and if both teams are smart they'll just pass the ball around for 90 minutes and hope no-one gets hurt....

24. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    Yes England is playing at home and is the favorite of course, but Mexico is no Kazakhstan, Andorra, nor Belarus.

Mexico is fielding one of the youngest squads in the WC, so experience against big name teams will definately help. No use in preping for the WC with minnows.

You should look into Mexico's impressive home record at the Azteca, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Should be a good game to watch although I doubt England will play Rooney.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    This game is in England.....where I believe Mexico hasn't done so well over the years.....in fact I don't believe they've ever scored a single goal playing England in England....