Pre-match: England v Poland [r]

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Oct 13, 2012.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    what the fck was jagielka doing there? leaving the ball for Hart when the Poland attack was bursting through.

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Content with the result, not with the performance.

Happy the Carrick bandwagon will now firmly of ended, he was dreadful.

3. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    1-1 final

looked disorganised in all area's .

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Might take that as sig material mate if you don't mind ;) :D

Anyway, yeah, he was the 'least shit' which is the same thing I suppose.

5. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Not that I would actually have him in the starting 11 or even squad. Too limited .

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We were woeful but still should have grinded out the win. No idea why it took so long to bring Welbeck on. Hodgson's tactics throughout were poor.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wanna bet? For the Carrick 'believers' all that shows is that Carrick play is 'on a higher plane' than other mere mortals and his passing is beyond their understanding. Y'know, a bit like Zen Buddhism.. Carrick's play is like the sound of one foot passing which, of course, it can do. Yeah, that doesn't really work, does it. :confused:

OK! I admit it. I'm just bleeding rambling now :(

Prenn repped this.
  8. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    It was very disappointing how rarely carrick made himself available in central position to take the ball of the CBS. When the going gets tough, he hides. Not a man you want in the trenches.

That said, the main problem with this team was Defoe leading the line. This guy is not equipped for International games away from home against even moderate opposition. A little worrying Woy doesnt see this. Welbeck should have been on from the start.

Hart's error will hopefully quell the numerous best in the world quotes I've heard from pundits. Very good keeper, but let's keep his feet on the ground for now.

9. dlugi

dlugi Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Legnica, Poland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    As I told my bro before the game "don't worry, Hodgson is their coach" and our mediocre team looked well in comparison to England indeed but we've should win this, so I'm not content at all. How Piszczek could let Shrek score the header, he was propably the lowest player on the pitch today.

Battle against Montenegro for the second place in group gonna be tough

10. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    I missed the first 30 minutes, but from what I say it seemed to be a 4-4-1-1 with Rooney in the black hole and Cleverly on the left wing? Reminiscent of Hargreaves. Can anyone confirm this?

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Terrible performance. None of our players come out of that game with any credit.

Getting a point in Poland isn't a bad result. However, the biggest worry for me, is that we haven't really deserved anything more than a point against either Poland or Ukraine. In fact, if either of those teams had got all 3pts, you couldn't have said it was harsh on us. It used to be control and possession that was my biggest worry (and that still is a problem), but at the moment, it's cutting edge and guile in the final third.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, Pretty much the formation.

13. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When was the last time an English keeper kept us in games, helped us win games, instead of costing us with pathetic mistakes?

Until we have a guy who doesn't spit the bit under pressure, we'll never escape the mid-tier. Joe Hart is beyond over-rated.

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Laughable..... Been one of the top keepers, if not the top, in the Premier League for several years running now. And definately an upgrade to any other keeper we could have in the squad....

sendorange and fernb8 repped this.
  15. joma05

joma05 Member

May 7, 2009
    How average did Lescott look? He never seems to want the ball much rather see Cahill on the pitch. They said before the game he's been left out of Man City's 2 biggest games this season (champions league). I know Cleverly is still young and only played 5 times for England so I don't want to slate him to much but he seems very average also maybe it's just me? Now it's been posted and i've thought about it did Carrick even play last night can't remeber him doing anything at all really.

Defoe isn't a lone striker he's a poacher better with a partner or a team that play to that strength, which we don't and with Rooney dropping off it left him isolated. A role more suited to Carroll/Welbeck. James Milner may work hard and cover Glen Johnson but he is really poor at passing even simple pass he gives the ball away.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good grief, what a tool. Wake me up when he's making mistakes every other game like Reina.

three lions repped this.
  17. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Defoe didnt get any service in this game. Rooney vanished and supplied nothing and neither did the rest of the midfield. The biggest problem was cleverly and carrick just constantly coughing up possession . The performance reminded me of the Italy QF game except the opposition wasnt in the same class .

three lions and fernb8 repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that's the point. As some of their fellas went off and came on they mentioned stuff like, 'This guy plays in the german 2nd div' or 'this guy is 2nd/3rd choice at his club' or 'this guy doesn't start for Trabanspzor (sp?)' or whatever. I mean, no offence to Poland and all that but this WASN'T Italy or Brazil or Germany. This was a decent, but not brilliant, Polish side.

I know the pitch wasn't the best but it's the same for both sides.

dlugi repped this.
  19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Rooney never linked up with Defoe for the entire match ,because Rooney was often miles out of position from the area he was supposed to be operating.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... Joe Hart against Ukraine? :confused:

three lions repped this.
  21. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Ah, did England mess up again? Gorra larf I suppose.

Quite why there's still plenty of muppets paying to 'get wet' at considerable expense away from home is way way beyond my comprehension.

They should've stayed at home and laughed at ITV instead.

Hopp Schwiiz!

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm always slightly amazed by the kind of random dipshits we attract on our board.

three lions, fernb8 and sinner78 repped this.
  23. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry to strike a nerve, but I'm talking about how a keeper plays for ENGLAND, I don't give a crap about how one player is playing for his club: his form for England is the only thing that matters when commenting on his performances FOR ENGLAND. If anything, if his form for club is so much better than his form for country it bothers me even more because I know he has the ability to play much better, he just can't handle the pressure when playing for England.

Reina's at the tail-end of his prime, and he's had two bad seasons in a row, especially this season. In his prime if he had been English he would have been England's first choice keeper by a country mile from 2005 until now.

If he had played for any other country besides Spain or Italy, he would have started or been in a pitched battle for the #1 shirt until a couple of seasons ago. Being behind Casillas has made his talent overshadowed by one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

But let there be no mistake, comparing a player that plays for my club, who is mired in the worst form of his career to espouse a believe that I cannot criticize another player who plays for my country, is asinine, childish, and completely illogical.

Pepe Reina cannot play for England, we cannot compare their international careers. Reina's international form, though he rarely plays, is arguably better than his club form: he's never lost.

I would just like one English keeper (and this includes Joe Hart but is not limited to him) to make more difficult saves than mistakes committed. I am not expecting them to save every shot. The English media is obsessed with our penalty record, while concentrating their anguish on the takers. The issue is with our keepers. I think I counted the stats and posted it: there have been very few penalty saves by English keepers, way below the expected percentages.

Simply put, our keepers are the reason for our lack of success on the international stage. They might all play well for their clubs, but from Seaman's error in 2002, to David James diving the wrong way for every penalty in 2004 - seriously, the odds are he'd dive the right way at least once! Robinson made I believe one penalty save in 2006. He then had that bobble on the backpass from Neville that went into the net for an own goal against Croatia, and then in the second to last game had an easy shot that instead of holding onto or steering out of play, tamely knocked it right to a Russian player for the tap-in rebound (Pavyluchenko (sp?)) In 2008 Carson made the bungle that had us fail to qualify for Euro 2008. In 2010 Green let in a howler from Dempsey. In 2012 Hart failed to make a single penalty save against Italy, and now makes this error against Poland that would have had us take the driver's seat for WCQ.

This is not an attack on Joe Hart: this is an attack on English keeping going back to 2002. Rarely have they made a spectacular save to keep us in a match, but regularly have they made a bungle on the shots they should easily save. The press continues to harp on Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham before them, basically every position besides keeper has been lambasted. That's the true Achilles' heel for England, and it's sad but it looks like Hart will be no different from the rest.

24. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hart's the least of Englands concerns.

sinner78 repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If they were all as reliable as that fella we wouldn't have a problem.

I mentioned during the match that he hadn't done well on the play but, come ON! He's saved our arses several times before and, compared to the others available, he's light years ahead atm.

Although NLFE says Casillas is the best thing since sliced bread I've seen the guy make MORE than a few absolute howlers over the years, i.e. the same as every other keeper in the world. The only difference between him and the rest his midfield doesn't cough up possession every 2-3 minutes or look like a 3 year old trying to handle a bar of soap in the bath which is what Lescott reminds me of when he's got the ball. He's got defenders who are comfortable in possession and a midfield that can pass the ball to someone wearing the same shirt.